Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM
pmacan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?

Well I really have to see in person to figure out if there is anything more to appreciate. It looks good but doesn't stand out. Interior is nice but we have been seeing this theme for a while now. And finally when you get all excited about the 50k price (in US) and start configuring it leaves Evoque's territory and lands in Range Rover Sport's.
I am wondering if anyone made the that comparison and deciding to go with Range Rover instead of Macan?
Wrong question to ask in a Porsche forum ?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:54 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

I am sure if you drive both the RR and the Porsche back to back, you will be coming back to this forum more often I can't say I have driven a RR or the Evoque, but I would imagine the Macan handling and feel to be pretty nice considering how the larger Cayenne and Panamera drive.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

RRS is much bigger.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

I didn't order a R.R. but decided to keep mine rather than order the Macan. I'm sticking with my 981 for a sports car and R.R. for SUV rather than try to combine the two into one. I like the Macan but not sure I love it.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Most people who buy the RR will also buy the Macan so they have something to drive while it's in the shop.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Most people who buy the RR will also buy the Macan so they have something to drive while it's in the shop.

As somebody that worked at Range Rover for a few years that is an accurate statement....
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah but damn the RRs are sexy...
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 712 Likes on 393 Posts

Which RR? The Evoque is small and underpowered. The Sport is alot more expensive then a Macan, but its bigger, but it looks alot like a Ford Explorer. That said, the Rover interiors however are some of the best in the industry. Are RRs really that bad mechanically still?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Two years running my R.R. without a single issue. Not one. My 981 on the other hand has been towed twice to the dealer so spare me.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

40k miles on my 2008 RR HSE, no problems.

The RR is big.
I am interested in a Macan for another location where small is key. (big city, little condo)

Im not really an Evoque kinda guy for a longer term automobile…
If RR would make a new Defender for the North American Market it would be in my driveway.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

You are so right!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Two years running my R.R. without a single issue. Not one. My 981 on the other hand has been towed twice to the dealer so spare me.
The reality is many people will have great ownership experiences with Land Rover vehicles, and some will not. Same with Porsche, and every other car. MOST cars these days are quite reliable. Over a statistically relevant sample, there are differences though. The latest JD Power three-year dependability study has Porsche in position number two with 94 problems per 100 vehicles (Lexus is number one).

Land Rover is 33rd (and last) with 220 problems per 100 vehicles. This study is for 2010 vehicles. Although the JD Power reliability study has limitations, it is one of the more impartial sources of information as it does not suffer from self-selection bias.

So, it appears that a Land Rover product (at least of 2010 vintage) may have a greater chance of issues than other cars, but I still think that the majority of owners will have pretty good experiences. Your own experience is an example of this.

As for the original question: I am not ordering either a Macan or RR (we recently got a Cayenne GTS). However, if my wife hadn’t been keen on a larger vehicle, I would have waited for the Macan. I think Porsche has nailed it and this would be my personal choice for an SUV, as I like the lower, more compact layout.

If you prefer the RR, definitely go for that though. Not my style (too boxy/high), but it has a great interior and is a classy vehicle.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 500_19B
The reality is many people will have great ownership experiences with Land Rover vehicles, and some will not. Same with Porsche, and every other car. MOST cars these days are quite reliable. Over a statistically relevant sample, there are differences though. The latest JD Power three-year dependability study has Porsche in position number two with 94 problems per 100 vehicles (Lexus is number one).

Land Rover is 33rd (and last) with 220 problems per 100 vehicles. This study is for 2010 vehicles. Although the JD Power reliability study has limitations, it is one of the more impartial sources of information as it does not suffer from self-selection bias.

So, it appears that a Land Rover product (at least of 2010 vintage) may have a greater chance of issues than other cars, but I still think that the majority of owners will have pretty good experiences. Your own experience is an example of this.

As for the original question: I am not ordering either a Macan or RR (we recently got a Cayenne GTS). However, if my wife hadn’t been keen on a larger vehicle, I would have waited for the Macan. I think Porsche has nailed it and this would be my personal choice for an SUV, as I like the lower, more compact layout.

If you prefer the RR, definitely go for that though. Not my style (too boxy/high), but it has a great interior and is a classy vehicle.
Fair and well stated comments. My R.R. has logged around 1,000 miles of extreme off road driving and at first glance the Macan appears to have lower ground clearance so I'm not sure it would cut it climbing mountains. I could be wrong but the Macan appears to be a performance SUV first, a Boxster with 4 doors which is great if you don't go off roading. I was hoping the Macan would be more striking but to me it looks like a baby Cayenne mated with the smaller Infinity SUV. I may change my mind after seeing it in person but so far the looks didn't sway me. Then there's price which starts at about the same as the Cayenne. The Macan may be perceived as more "entry level" because of size but it actually won't be and a well loaded car will be in the $70,000 range so there's that. My first impression is the overall package considering price is good, but not great.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche is laughing all the way to the bank with this one. It's definitely not an entry level car and priced above both the Cayenne and a Boxster.

The 50k base price is pretty deceptive, because you REALLY don't want this car in base form. Decently equipped, you're looking at 65k for the S and 85k for the turbo. ...for a compact SUV.

As much as I really like this car, based on how much it costs, here are my 2 cents:

The Macan is not a car for existing Porsche owners, but for those who have always aspired to own a Porsche. They are active or have a small family, so a Boxster won't fit the size requirement. They are also fairly young (or feel young), so the Cayenne is just not sporty enough. They can only own one car to do everything.

If you already have a 911 and want to add a utility vehicle to your stable...your money is better spent on something other than a Macan.

Quick Reply: How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?