Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^….a reasonable observation. It actually does look like an electric iron!…truly hideous! All that's missing is the handle and the power cord! It must be truly awful being a passenger sitting in the rear. When I first saw one I couldn't believe RR had made such an ugly impractical car. Quite frankly for anyone to even suggest an Evoke is an alternative to a Macan is out of their mind. The Evoke hasn't sold too well out here…only seen one or two of them thankfully.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:21 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
^….a reasonable observation. It actually does look like an electric iron!…truly hideous! All that's missing is the handle and the power cord! It must be truly awful being a passenger sitting in the rear. When I first saw one I couldn't believe RR had made such an ugly impractical car. Quite frankly for anyone to even suggest an Evoke is an alternative to a Macan is out of their mind. The Evoke hasn't sold too well out here…only seen one or two of them thankfully.
Words of wisdom from someone who has never driven one. It's just a car-relax.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
RareAir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another review giving interior space impression. "Intimate but not cramped".

I took some screen caps of the guy in the Macan along with the same guy in a 2011 E92 3-series. Hard to tell for sure, but looks to be about the same, at least in terms of head room.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Words of wisdom from someone who has never driven one. It's just a car-relax.
Still looks like a steam iron to me.

And no, i don't plan on being seen anywhere near this "thing" least of all being seen behind the wheel….well not without a mask on anyway.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 115 Posts

I own an Evoque (in addition to 997 C4 and MDX). I actually like driving it and has more than enough room to take my family of 4 around most of the time. Even took my 18 year old and all of his belongings to college in the Evoque, but with not too much room to spare. So far, so good. Don't understand all of the animosity directed towards its looks. Had the Macan been available last spring, I absolutely would have cross-shopped it. Considered X1, allroad, Q5 and Cayenne. Certainly the Cayenne drove better, but it's underpowered as well and would have cost 25K more. Macan is a pretty attractive package and I think they'll sell tons of them, but a lot will be parasitized from potential Cayenne buyers.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I own an Evoque (in addition to 997 C4 and MDX). I actually like driving it and has more than enough room to take my family of 4 around most of the time. Even took my 18 year old and all of his belongings to college in the Evoque, but with not too much room to spare. So far, so good. Don't understand all of the animosity directed towards its looks. Had the Macan been available last spring, I absolutely would have cross-shopped it. Considered X1, allroad, Q5 and Cayenne. Certainly the Cayenne drove better, but it's underpowered as well and would have cost 25K more. Macan is a pretty attractive package and I think they'll sell tons of them, but a lot will be parasitized from potential Cayenne buyers.
Hmmm, you say that there will be a lot of cannibalization of Cayenne buyers...... doesn't seem to have stopped BMW. Soon they will have X1, X3, X4, X5 and X6. And probably an X2 by all accounts. Either these guys are all stupid or they are on to something.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Hmmm, you say that there will be a lot of cannibalization of Cayenne buyers...... doesn't seem to have stopped BMW. Soon they will have X1, X3, X4, X5 and X6. And probably an X2 by all accounts. Either these guys are all stupid or they are on to something.
+1

It is like going to a suit store and they only have one size in different colours. Now, different sizes and styles in different colours.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Valid point. I don't pretend to know their business model and I wasn't implying that it doesn't make overall sense for Porsche as a brand to sell multiple different SUVs. Quite the opposite, I'm glad to have an additional choice. I would bet, however, that Cayenne sales numbers go down once Macan becomes available.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:27 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If someones going to steal your sales it better be you before it's someone else.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM
speed21
Banned

Agree. Can't see too many Cayenne sales falling off to Macan at all. Most that buy Cayenne either prefer or need the extra space. Macan is really more of a threat to the mid sized Q5/X3 market which appear to be the better selections amongst that bunch.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

I will be in market for macan or rrs soon. I have seen rrs on road and looks fantastic. Saw white and red ones both with black roof and wheels. Looked great and while much smaller than old rrs definitely not a compact suv. Priced between s and turbo macan. Will wait to check out porsche but leaning towards rrs
Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but compare US Audi Q7 sales numbers before and after the debut of the Q5. I know that there may be other factors involved but they are as follows:

---------------Q7 -----------------Q5 (in thousands)
2006----------10.0
2007----------20.6
2008----------13.2
2009 ---------7.3---------------13.8
2010----------8.0-------------- 23.5

I would not be surprised if Cayenne sales numbers take a proportionate dip. I don't think that most Cayenne buyers prefer or need the extra space, I think that most want a Porsche and also happen to need an SUV. The smaller Macan will fit both of those criteria. It's not as if the Cayenne is so roomy or can accommodate more than 5 people. Time will tell.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Not to beat a dead horse, but compare US Audi Q7 sales numbers before and after the debut of the Q5. I know that there may be other factors involved but they are as follows:

---------------Q7 -----------------Q5 (in thousands)
2006----------10.0
2007----------20.6
2008----------13.2
2009 ---------7.3---------------13.8
2010----------8.0-------------- 23.5

I would not be surprised if Cayenne sales numbers take a proportionate dip. I don't think that most Cayenne buyers prefer or need the extra space, I think that most want a Porsche and also happen to need an SUV. The smaller Macan will fit both of those criteria. It's not as if the Cayenne is so roomy or can accommodate more than 5 people. Time will tell.
I read that the Cayenne Diesel sales are quite strong so absent a Macan Diesel I suspect the Cayenne Diesel sales might actually climb though. The other thing si that the base Macan isn't being offered so the price points aren't there yet to really drain sales off the Cayenne that hard.

Macan sales should be robust irrespective though for the points you mentioned. It's enough of an SUV and it's a Porsche. Compare the Lexus GX to the Lexus RX. The RX crushes it in sales. Should be the same here.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
I will be in market for macan or rrs soon. I have seen rrs on road and looks fantastic. Saw white and red ones both with black roof and wheels. Looked great and while much smaller than old rrs definitely not a compact suv. Priced between s and turbo macan. Will wait to check out porsche but leaning towards rrs
RRS smaller than previous RRS?! I think it is actually bigger.... It's at least as big as a Cayenne, so not really a comparison to a Macan IMO. Completely different vehicle, but in the right color scheme, it looks pretty good indeed.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by mb1
I don't think that most Cayenne buyers prefer or need the extra space, I think that most want a Porsche and also happen to need an SUV. The smaller Macan will fit both of those criteria. It's not as if the Cayenne is so roomy or can accommodate more than 5 people. Time will tell.
Cayenne is very roomy in comparison to mid sized suvs. We actually got rid of our current X3 for the reason of space along with the better drive the Cayenne gave in comparison to its direct competitors such as X5 and so forth. Plenty of our friends also own full sized SUV's for much the same reason and I couldnt see any of them changing for a smaller SUV just because it has a Porsche badge on it. Fact is you either need the room or you don't and that will usually determine what sized SUV you go for regardless of the badge on the hood. Having extra room is nicer than having just enough especially if the car sees a lot of passenger use. If you can have both badge and room then all the better which is where Porsche has now got the mix right with having 2 suvs to cater for all individual user requirements. Porcshe's SUV's also deliver better than the competition in terms of performance, fit finish and general drive imho....also going by the general reviews too. If you need to lug 5 people around all the time then get a big Landcruiser or something like that but in doing so sacrifice the on road performance and comforts the Porsches deliver in that process. And no I cant see Macan doing the same job as a full sized Cayenne. The inside space is obviously more in Cayenne.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many of you ordered Range Rover after seeing Macan?