Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Macan (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan-232/)
-   -   How many Cayenne guys are going to switch to Macan? (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/741282-how-many-cayenne-guys-are-going-to-switch-to-macan.html)

speed21 02-18-2013 12:22 AM

How many Cayenne guys are going to switch to Macan?

With new kid on the block Macan getting a tweaked version of Q5's lates 230kw 650 nm TDI 6, it will be a sub 5 sec SUV for sure!

This will place pressure on GTS's,...and even the V8turbo given the massive fuel savings. Even new V8DS will have to pull its socks up.....

How many of you guys would swap your Cayenne for Macan?

hahnmgh63 02-18-2013 12:28 AM

I'm considering it. Will be interesting to see the numbers of the Q5 when it gets the 3.0 V6 Diesel later this year. The Macan performance should be similar.

Dennis C 02-18-2013 12:36 AM

I'll consider it also. We're planning on another Cayenne at this point, but I'd like to look at a Macan.

speed21 02-18-2013 12:40 AM

Q5's numbers are 5.1 to 100kph so Macans will have to be better than that.

In gear acceleration will also be interesting given BMW's X3 with its twin turbo diesel 3.0 6cyl and we've all heard how formidable that thing is! Q5 is meant to be a rocket!

I'd say unless you really need a little more size the Macan is the clear winner. Maybe Cayenne will see a few defectors.

Mike in CA 02-18-2013 12:45 AM

I doubt we'll get that diesel engine in the US which is too bad. What I've read is that the top model will be a 288 HP supercharged V6 in a vehicle that will weigh at least 4000lbs, based on the weight of the roughly equivalent Q5. I don't think it will be a sub 5 second 0-60 car here; probably close to the performance of my Cayenne S. Anyway, for my needs, it's a bit too small.

lawjdc 02-18-2013 12:47 AM

I haven't read anything official about a turbo diesel Macan for the US, but Audi's new SQ5 and its 354 BHP supercharged V6 gasoline engine with 346 lb-ft of torque, accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds is more than exciting. That means that Porsche won't be able to slide by with a 275 hp normally aspirated motor, or anything less than the Audi has.

speed21 02-18-2013 01:01 AM

Porsche can ill afford to rely purely upon its gas guzzling CTT as its sole SUV performance credentials (imho).

Most current Cayenne models are clearly on notice from the competition already so for Porsche to limit the Macan in a bid to protect its big brother then it'll only prove an exercise in futility.

As Porsche already has the TDI 6 in the USA Cayenne, which logically by rights should get the newer 230kw 650nm engine in gen 2 update, then it stands to reason the USA will also get Macan in 3 litre TDI diesel spec. If they don't then how are they going to fend off up the competition against their superior performance and fuel efficiency credentials? Porsche can't hold back the tide forever. Afterall "Performance" is a hallmark feature of the brand.

endless_corners 02-18-2013 01:06 AM

This topic is macan me sick.

speed21 02-18-2013 01:08 AM

....well if it's macan you sick its macan me much sicker. I've got an order in on a new Cayenne....gulp.

endless_corners 02-18-2013 01:13 AM

I just couldn't resist. But honestly I like the looks of the 955/957 cayennes a fair deal better.. So I'm hoping the macan will be less Korean looking in the rear than the 958. I'm sure the macan will be a sporty little thing. Still the 958 is a brilliant car so don't fret!

speed21 02-18-2013 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10232509)
I doubt we'll get that diesel engine in the US which is too bad. What I've read is that the top model will be a 288 HP supercharged V6 in a vehicle that will weigh at least 4000lbs, based on the weight of the roughly equivalent Q5. I don't think it will be a sub 5 second 0-60 car here; probably close to the performance of my Cayenne S. Anyway, for my needs, it's a bit too small.

I guess that'll have to be my story too Mike. I probably won't have too much else to hold onto if that damn Macan ends up King and, costing me money:crying: .

speed21 02-18-2013 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by endless_corners (Post 10232572)
I just couldn't resist. But honestly I like the looks of the 955/957 cayennes a fair deal better.. So I'm hoping the macan will be less Korean looking in the rear than the 958. I'm sure the macan will be a sporty little thing. Still the 958 is a brilliant car so don't fret!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder endless......and i've never been a huge fan of the 958's tail lights either. Personally i think 958 is a hands down looker in comparison to 955/957.

I'm sure Macan will get less Korean looking tail lights....as will gen 2 958.
Hmmm. Hopefully there will be a viable mod/conversion option for the gen 1 lights...

tifosiv122 02-18-2013 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 10232471)
This will place pressure on GTS's,...and even the V8turbo given the massive fuel savings. Even new V8DS will have to pull its socks up.....

For buyers of an $82k or $108k vehicle - unlikely fuel economy really weighs into the picture.

I think it's akin to the boxster - didn't really take away many 911 sales - just added a new market for those that couldn't afford the 911.

Erik

jumper5836 02-18-2013 02:21 AM

My Cayenne is paid off. But I am thinking with a new longer commute to work coming soon that I need a second DD that is better on gas then my 05 Turbo. I love the grunt of the Turbo but it guzzles gas.

speed21 02-18-2013 02:21 AM

You make a fair point. Let's hope some of us Cayenne die hards arent left in Macan's wake. I cant see the pricepoint being too far apart on these cars given the shared technology the performance, fit, finish and so forth. One will just be slightly smaller and easier to manage for certain folks who can live without the extra size, yet will have and equal or more potent, more efficient SUV's.
Time will soon tell. The Cayenne will always have the more room but how much more in a real world practical sense is also yet to be seen. With Boxster it was never going to be a 911 whereas in this instance both are more or less on the same playing field in the status stakes....and being practical SUV's.