Macan 2014-Current

Exhaust tip cleanup DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 08:45 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Exhaust tip cleanup DIY

Tired of looking at them sooty exhaust tips? Here's a one hour spiff-up I just did on my new-to-me CPO 2017 Macan S.

Supplies:
Ratchet with T30 bit or a T30 driver.
Rubber mallet or dead blow hammer.
Degreaser and/or brake clean.
Scotchbrite pad or steel wool.
HD metal polish (optional).
Rubber gloves and eye protection.

Procedure:
1. The tips are slip-fit onto exhaust pipes, held in place by T30 stainless steel fasteners. Inner and outer tips on both sides are not interchangeable, so take note.
2. Remove T30 fasteners and work each tip off of each pipe. Couple of taps with a rubber mallet convinces the tip to come loose.
3. Once all four tips are off attack each one with degreaser/solvent and Scotchbrite pad to remove soot and stains. Apply metal polish if desired.
4. When you're satisfied, slip the tips back on the pipes and cinch 'em down with the fasteners. Stand back and admire your work!

L&R tips removed. Note inner and outer tips are different lengths so take note.

Cleaned-up (sorta) tips. I initially thought the throats were painted black but they're not as you can see by how the left inner tip cleaned up. I'll repeat cleaning later.

Last edited by swingwing; 06-11-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added word.
The following 3 users liked this post by swingwing:
ImpliedConsent (02-03-2021), Llarry (06-12-2020), Schwarz992C4S (06-29-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 03:25 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a tip polisher as well.
Wearing rubber gloves, I slather some mothers metal polish on.
Then toss a rag over the tip and back on forth like i'm polishing a shoe.
Easy pezzee. And toss the rag, as it's black and not worth laundering.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:59 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I polish my tip quit often.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:51 PM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My original thought was to replace them. They were so dirty and black, it "almost" looked like factory black. However, after pulling them off, I find them to be really substantial and well made exhaust tips. No way was I gonna just replace them. I read this thread, got my T30, rubber gloves, used ZAP degreaser, then dawn + water rinse, done. I had to spend about 15min per tip, but well worth it. The tips were very easy to pull off, even after 43k miles. TY for the instructions!
(a fleeting thought about before/after pictures happened AFTER I was finished... /sigh).
Old 02-04-2021, 03:35 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Nice job on the silver/aluminum tips, looks great!

Has anyone tackled cleaning the sooty buildup on the factory black exhaust tips (.ie GTS)? The concern there is anything too aggressive would likely damage or negatively impact the factory black chrome finish. Anyone successfully clean these without damage, preserving the factory finish?
Old 02-04-2021, 03:42 PM
vinceGTS

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Nice job on the silver/aluminum tips, looks great!

Has anyone tackled cleaning the sooty buildup on the factory black exhaust tips (.ie GTS)? The concern there is anything too aggressive would likely damage or negatively impact the factory black chrome finish. Anyone successfully clean these without damage, preserving the factory finish?
I have a 17 GTS and I am thinking of spraying mine with brake cleaner as a first step to see if that loosens the crud.

If they finish gets ruined, I might replace with chrome. That is the one place I think chrome/polished alum may look good on an all black GTS.

On a side note... does anyone know if the PSE uses the same size tips as compared to the regular mufflers?

Last edited by vinceGTS; 02-04-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:31 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Old 02-05-2021, 08:59 PM
vinceGTS

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Great idea - we use that cleanser on pots and pans and it's amazing.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:57 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can anyone recommend a cleaner for the black tips on a new GTS? Non abrasive metal polish such as Blue Magic or Simichrome? Any other suggestions?
Old 02-07-2021, 11:33 AM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Originally Posted by Phil G.
Can anyone recommend a cleaner for the black tips on a new GTS? Non abrasive metal polish such as Blue Magic or Simichrome? Any other suggestions?
If new, I'd def keep it clean with Barkeepers, as @Terry Adams suggested. If trashed, I think you'll be fine with any industrial degreaser + non-scouring pad. Clean the degreaser off with Dawn. Rinse well. Make it easy - take the tips off. T30, 1 screw per tip.
Again, after taking off my tips, I found them to be VERY substantial, heavy and well made. Mine do not have a chrome finish - these are polished aluminum. I'm not sure how the black tips are made, but my guess (because Porsche) they are also very well made as well. My tip (<-- ) is to remove them individually and start the cleaning process. No way was I gonna replace these.

Quick Reply: Exhaust tip cleanup DIY