Macan 2014-Current

Is the Macan a good family car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Is the Macan a good family car?

Anyone in the forum who has some experience with the Macan as a family car? Was wondering if the Macan is a good family car when you have a newborn? Any bigger disadvantages compared to the bigger SUVs? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 AM
meyecul
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Anyone in the forum who has some experience with the Macan as a family car? Was wondering if the Macan is a good family car when you have a newborn? Any bigger disadvantages compared to the bigger SUVs? Thank you in advance.
There is another recent thread that touches on this. With a newborn be mindful of any vehicles rear seat leg room space. You will be using a rear facing baby carrier and that can be an issue for some depending on how far back they need their front seats to be. Also, cargo space gets eaten up fast even in larger vehicles with diaper bag and stroller etc. Again, depending on what kinds of stroller you use and how much “stuff” you want to be able to take along should all be carefully considered. Do not just rely on tech size specs. I would suggest bringing your gear along to any car dealers with models you are considering and really put the model through it’s paces storage wise.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I think that the Macan is not a great family car because it's somewhat on the small size. It is a fantastic driver experience, but has limited rear legroom so adults and teenagers are not going to be happy there for a long ride, Also, cargo capacity is not great so if you want to take four people for a weekend sports getaway, meaning luggage and gear, it will be tight. Maybe a Cayenne would be better. For us, the Macan is an exceptional two people + dog car. The dog gets the back seat and the trunk is perfect for a week-long holiday for the three of us. I read somewhere that the Macan was marketed and targeted to 50+ year olds whose kids had flown the nest but still had an active lifestyle. That description is us!
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 06:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

My wife and I are empty nesters these days but if my kids were still home, and I wanted a Porsche that could accommodate all of us, I’d have another Cayenne Turbo instead of the Macan.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know about how newborn car seats work with the Macan, but I have maxed out capacity in our Macan recently. We had 5 large pieces of luggage, 4 backpacks, parents in front and 2 teenagers in back. We all fit, but I don't think we could have added anything else. It drove well while completely loaded up, too. So IMHO, it's perfect for a family of 4!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:59 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a ctts and Macan gts. For rear facing baby seats chances are the passenger seat might need to be moved up. For front facing seats there’s room with no issues. I have two of them in Macan. Obviously there’s way more room in back of cayenne. For what it’s worth my kids love when I take the cayenne. But I think it’s because of the akrapovic exhaust on truck.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:27 AM
Oldbro
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It works

We haul our 3 grand kids 3,6 and 7 and it works around town.
Cross country travel? Not the hot setup.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I have a gts. I have 3 bichons and I think I have a wife and daughter. I have 2 dog crates in the rear and another one on rear passenger seat. We do road trips. Seems to work but if you plan to go buy stuff it's pretty tight to load stuff in my configuration ie Costco run - Nope. But given that storage is an issue its fun to drive. Had 2 cayenne's in the past and though the space is nice we don't need the space for our needs.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:36 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The macan is undoubtedly the most fun to drive and sporty mid sized suv out there with adequate features/size/safety to fit a small family/newborn etc. But that does not work for everyone. Some prefer a plush Lexus RX/NX boat like quite cabin ride for newborn / family suv. Some like a bit more sportier like Q5. Do not recommend with newborn since most sporty ride and bad nvh compared to other options
Old 07-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Add a stroller, baby gear, the occasional Pack and Play for overnight travel and large boxes of diapers, etc. and you'll find the compact Macan with its highly sloped rear roofline isn't a great new family car.

If you want more practical seating space, larger crush zones, etc. consider at least a midsize five seat SUV like a Cayenne, X5 or Q7. The longer wheel base comes in quite handy.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Go bigger with a baby. We're the target 50+ demographic, with adult kids. Short rides for backseat passengers is fine. It's just right for our needs, but would not have worked years ago. As a matter of fact, our Cayenne was barely large enough for long trips.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:28 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

We are retired with kids grown and gone, but I have car seats in the back seat for my twin 2 year old granddaughters, it works perfectly for that.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

As long as everyone in the family has been shrunk down like they did in the movie Phantasm, it's just fine!

Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM
drawz
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two kids, 3 and 6, and we've been able to make it work. The 3 year old is still rear facing in a convertible car seat (Chico NextFit) and there is just enough space without my wifing having to sit too far forward (I've also sat in front of her and been ok). We are pretty average height-wise (I'm 5'10", she's 5'7"...kids are on the tall side).

Trunk is a little tight admittedly, but we are getting to the stage where we don't need quite as much kid stuff, so it works. We can fit 2 large carry-on suitcases and a bigger suitcase, plus an umbrella stroller, a pack-n-play, and some other random bags with toys. I probably wouldn't do a really extended trip, but we've done a couple 5-6 hour road trips and been ok. If we ever go skiing, we may need a roof box though. Alternatively, rent a bigger vehicle for longer trips, which is my back up plan. Before we bought, I took our typical road trip set of things down to the dealer and made sure it would fit. The salesman probably thought I was nuts, but it sealed the deal.

Loved the Macan enough to make it work!
The following users liked this post:
Jerbartolo (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 3 kids. The youngest is 5 now so we are past the car seat phase. We also have a minivan for regular kid stuff. But I bought my Macan to be my family car when I need to take the kids somewhere. Sometimes we will go somewhere nice as a family in the Macan. The kids will tolerate it.

That being said, since you are going to have a newborn:

1. It might be tough to fit a rear facing car seat with enough space left for the front passengers to sit comfortably
2. The trunk is a bit small with the cargo cover and the sloped window, so you are going to have trouble fitting much in there if you get a full size stroller. I picked up my sister in law from the airport once and we were barely able to get the stroller with a suitcase in the trunk.

I would say the Macan is just as much a family car a small hatch like a VW Golf. It might have a little larger cargo area. My advice with a newborn would be to get something larger but people have kids and drive compact cars all the time.

Quick Reply: Is the Macan a good family car?