Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Bought/installed an aspheric mirror.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Bought/installed an aspheric mirror.

Someone posted a thread saying they were purchasing one since they had one on their Cayenne(?) and said he couldn't ever drive a car without one. But he never posted a pic. So.... I looked up the definition of an aspheric mirror as well as looked at a few pics. I dropped the coin and bought one from Suncoast. Got it in yesterday and installed it. My mirror is heated as well. I had a chance to drive around town twice locally last night. I really like it. I feel there is a blind spot that is hidden in part due to the a-pillar. I had bought something similar a few years ago from Bimmer-something and I found them to be nothing more than a fisheye. I mean buldging fisheye. This one is anything but. There is little-to- no vertical bulging but there is, IMO, the perfect amount

on the horizontal plane. It seems to fall off at a slightly accelerated rate on just the outside edge, where the dotted line is.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Someone posted a thread saying they were purchasing one since they had one on their Cayenne(?) and said he couldn't ever drive a car without one. But he never posted a pic. So.... I looked up the definition of an aspheric mirror as well as looked at a few pics. I dropped the coin and bought one from Suncoast. Got it in yesterday and installed it. My mirror is heated as well. I had a chance to drive around town twice locally last night. I really like it. I feel there is a blind spot that is hidden in part due to the a-pillar. I had bought something similar a few years ago from Bimmer-something and I found them to be nothing more than a fisheye. I mean buldging fisheye. This one is anything but. There is little-to- no vertical bulging but there is, IMO, the perfect amount

on the horizontal plane. It seems to fall off at a slightly accelerated rate on just the outside edge, where the dotted line is.
Now do the passenger side and you'll get rid of the embedded warning on the mirror glass.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

About to do this on my GT3, very much a worthwhile effort as i immediately saw the difference driving a euro-spec car.

Sadly if one has the auto-dimming feature, those things are darn pricey, especially if replacing both sides. Without auto-dimming much much cheaper.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Love it! Really. No blindspot.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:30 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for posting this and sharing your opinions on it...I've been looking at it on Suncoast's site for a while now, but wasn't sure if it was really worthwhile. How's the quality? Also what's involved in the install?
Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 PM
///Bruce
Pro

It was very good. It came in a Porsche parts box. Would I recommend it? Yes. Absolutely. No more blindspot just over my left shoulder. Matter of fact, I was in the process of moving one lane to my left and saw another vehicle was moving into that lane from two lanes over. Would not have caught that with the standard mirror.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

It was very good. It came in a Porsche parts box. Would I recommend it? Yes. Absolutely. No more blindspot just over my left shoulder. Matter of fact, I was in the process of moving one lane to my left and saw another vehicle was moving into that lane from two lanes over. Would not have caught that with the standard mirror.
Excellent, great info, very helpful
Old 06-28-2019, 09:29 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Glad to help.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Same experience. Bought aspheric mirrors for 996, 997 and Macan from Suncoast. BTW, interesting that the Porsche mirrors were made in USA.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:28 AM
///Bruce
Pro

I belive I read the Porsche logo on the box. However, I'm not sure where it was made. Someone suggested another for the passenger side and I'm ready thinking about it. But, I think I need to wait for the next cycle on Amex. New tires mounted and balanced plus its first alignment.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I belive I read the Porsche logo on the box. However, I'm not sure where it was made. Someone suggested another for the passenger side and I'm ready thinking about it. But, I think I need to wait for the next cycle on Amex. New tires mounted and balanced plus its first alignment.
There was a made in USA sticker on the underside of the mirror. Passenger side is a great addition since not only do you get the aspheric enhancement, you lose the warning message embossed in the mirror.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 PM
mblueracer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In Europe, most of standard mirrors are aspheric so switching from car to car is not an issue as you get used to them. They are very convenient and add safety from my point of view. Better than a light or chime. They are illegal in USA although NHTSA is considering legalizing them but not yet. The driver mirror must be flat. The passenger side can get a curvature with a special warning engraving. I did the swap on my first car when moving to USA because I was used to them. Loved it but when I rent cars or drive other cars I lose the reflex of checking blind spot. So it became a new hazard source for me. So even though it is a great feature, I am not switching in order to keep the habit of checking while driving in USA. When they will become legal and more popular on most cars then for sure I will re-adopt them. Also I am not sure what could be indemnification implications if in case of accident the insurance is scrutinizing the full legality or compliance of the vehicle.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Then you're going to be waiting a very long time. I prefer to take the chance of not hitting someone rather than worry about receiving a ticket from law enforcement over something that actually helps a driver be better. I give you people that drive around with big blue handicap placards hanging from their rear view mirrors. It's illegal and blocks your field of view.

Quick Reply: Bought/installed an aspheric mirror.