Timing Cover Leak Follow up - multiple issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 AM
macanblu
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Timing Cover Leak Follow up - multiple issues

Would like some expert opinion on this from all of you -

So I took my Macan S for 30K service in April. Service manager advised there is a TIMING CHAIN COVER LEAK and they would need a week to fix it. Hesitatingly, I dropped the car for fix mid may. Dealer took 2 weeks (Ok, they gave me a good loaner), handed off a 4 page list of parts fixed and finally got the car back. Problems start here...last week, after about 1K driving, I started hearing some rough noises from the front, when gears are changing (like how it used to be when we manually change stick shifts and don't press clutch correctly) and on Thu, heard two big bangs from engine area and car lost power, would not rev beyond 1500 RPM. I pulled the car to side and got it towed to same shop. They looked at it and said they forgot to torque the TRANSMISSION BOLTS correctly and done by afternoon - I was little surprised how fast it is done but I insisted they test it well - they said they drove for 50 miles and dropped the car back at home Fri evening. I thought its one time error, should give a fair chance, things happen.

Yesterday (Monday), after just driving less than 20 miles - heard a new noise from front of the car - and then took it again to shop right away, on way to work. Also noticed my seat memory button is not working anymore. The mechanic test drove and within a minute found that there is issue when turning steering - pulled it into shop and got the car out, saying the wishbone has an aluminium bolt that was not torqued properly during original fix. Within 10 minutes, he said it is all good to go now.

If you are still reading, so it started with a TRANSMISSION issue first on Friday, then ELECTRICAL, and then SUSPENSION. I am now very afraid of what else is in store for me and warranty is coming to an end in another 9 months.

What would you do as next step here in this case? How should I proceed?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

What dealership, please? We need to start a list (moderators?) of where NOT to take our Porsches....
Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

You said "dealer" and mentioned a loaner, so I assume we're talking about a Porsche dealership. Wow, sounds a little sloppy for a P dealer service dept. Please keep us updated.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Did you also purchase the vehicle from the same dealership where you've been having this work done? If I'm remembering correctly from your other thread, you may have bought it out of state quite far away - no matter really since it's still under warranty. I would start looking into the "Lemon laws" in your state for how many times within what time period you need to take a vehicle in for service to see if there will be a way for you to get out of this car for book value and into a different one, even if the same year and model. Big banging sounds aren't good and don't often happen without also doing some collateral damage to other related parts (maybe transfer case, PDK trans, etc)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but doesn't sound like lemon laws would apply here. At least not with the current situation...
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Not yet...

Quick Reply: Timing Cover Leak Follow up - multiple issues