New Macan Turbo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 PM
FIGS
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Macan Turbo Owner

Hi Guys,
New owner of a 2015 Macan Turbo. We purchased it from a used dealer here in Denver, and it's our first Porsche. Coming from Toyota's and making performance parts for Lexus vehicles, so far its been a great driving experience, especially for an SUV. Just about 6K miles of ownership and so far the only nags have been a missing lug key (swapped to standard lugs) and adding 1.5 qts of oil. Also found out a clear coat sag suggesting that the car was resprayed without a carfax report, which is a bit of a bummer but only noticed after ceramic coating the paint. Looking forward to sharing and learning here on Rennlist.

The following users liked this post:
ottobon100 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Congrats. Really nice color combo. Enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Excellent, welcome aboard! Love that Mahogany Brown Metallic, very nice
Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome! We have a ‘15 Turbo as well, bought it a year ago with 14,000 miles, now at 29,000. The early Macans can have an annoying door squeaking issue caused by the weatherstripping. The dealer totally replaced all four door’s weatherstripping under warranty which solved the problem. The Macan goes through tires and brakes faster than your previous Toyota or Lexus SUV, also the 4 year/30,000 mile service is expensive, requiring plug replacement and PDK service.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your good taste in vehicles! Possibility that the vehicle was touched up at the port of entry due to minor damage in shipping. Happens all the time and they're not required to divulge that it was.
FIGS (06-22-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Hooray!
Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Congrats. Enjoy
Old 06-15-2019, 05:25 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Welcome and congrats on your good taste in vehicles! Possibility that the vehicle was touched up at the port of entry due to minor damage in shipping. Happens all the time and they're not required to divulge that it was.
Further..... NO ONE is required to notify Carfax or Autocheck of any damage to any vehicle including dealerships. The only accidents or body damages that will show up is when an accident report is written up by police. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot. A dealership can fix a significant amount of damage to a vehicle and STILL sell it as a CPO. I know. It happened to me (BMW SUCKS!)

I've talked about this at length on the 'other' forum extensively. A few things to look for before you buy and to a certain extent even after you buy:

1. Where in the U.S. it was registered and inspected. This is an indicator as to where it was during it's life regarding salted roadways, as well as where it was during floods, hurricanes, etc.

2. How many miles were on the odometer when it was first registered? If it shows, for instance, 4500 miles before it was registered, it was probably a loaner, or a demo, or the GM or his wife were driving it for a few months before it was offered for sale. Remember the adage of 'race on Sunday; sell on Monday'.
3. Sometimes Carfax and/or Autocheck will show all work performed on the vehicle before you bought it.
4. In any case, go directly to a Porsche dealership and ask for a printout of ALL work ever performed at an authorized Porsche shop. It's all in a national database. This will clue you in on any electrical, mechanical or trim issues and the like.

From personal experience, I bought mine new with 23 miles on it. I found out after just mounting my second set of tires and having them check the alignment that it was out enough where I thought for my first six months of ownership I had a ~$100K vehicle that steered like crap. A simple alignment changed my mind and I am finally in love with my red sled. Now it drives like I expected it to drive. Like a Porsche!

This is not meant to scare you or anyone else. It's to educate so people don't make the same mistakes I've made in the past purchasing CPO'd or used vehicles. It pays to do your homework up front so you make an informed decision and not buy based on emotion. Easy to say, right? When the fever hits, it can hit hard.

If it were mine (and I know it's not), I would find the time to have the oil/filter changed. I would request the tech let you look at the underside of the engine while it's up on the lift and check for ANY oil leakage. Use a good flashlight. NO OIL LEAKAGE is good under any circumstances. I would also have them check the alignment while it's in the shop. Have them present you with a printout of the before and after alignment numbers. Baseline it going forward! Lastly, someone pointed out that it is preventative maintenance to have the TC fluid changed at 30K miles. Seems this helps to prevent internal damages causing one to have the TC rebuilt or replaced. Story goes Cayennes had this issue too. Porsche's fix? Change the fluid every 30K miles.

Good luck, welcome and enjoy!
FIGS (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM
FIGS
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just completed 60K service this week. Nothing major but there was some oil residue on the front right side of the panels around the engine underneath. It was not clear to the tech if it was a slow leak or if a remnant of prior service, but something to watch.
Looks like a torn steering rack boot, which should be no big deal and lower control arm bushings, which is something I wanted to work on anyway. I ordered some Febest replacements to get measurements and then will machine some to fit an test.

There is one annoying rattle in the passenger rear that sounds like the cargo cover is loose, but I have not had a chance to track it down. Thanks for the heads up on the weatherstripping too!
Mike

Quick Reply: New Macan Turbo Owner