Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Shopping for a Macan. Essential options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shopping for a Macan. Essential options?

I know. Everyone is gonna have an opinion. But here goes.

Sold my Cayman so it’s time for a Macan. Would like input on best options and must haves. Parameters:

1. Looking for an S. Budget is sub-50k. That puts me in the 2016-2018 range.
2. I think I want the fancy adjustable seats. Not sure what package those come with.
3. Cooled seats are close to a must.
4. Most used Macans come with the ugly 18” wheels. It seems cost prohibitive to buy larger wheels and tires separately.
5. Moonroof—worth it?
6. PASM—don’t see too many Macans out there with this option. How big of a difference does it make?

What else should I be considering? I love the GTS, but can’t find any in my price range. Truth be told, I love the options packages and builds of the Macan Sport Edition. But I don’t think I can live with the 4 cylinder. I know Cobb makes a tune, but would not go that route under warranty.

Has anyone cross-shopped a Cayenne S or GTS? Used Cayennes seem much better value than Macans.

Hit me with your opinions and suggestions!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Please delete
Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

PASM, A/S, 18-way seats, Chrono package. Everything else is lagniappe.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mbintx
I know. Everyone is gonna have an opinion. But here goes.

Sold my Cayman so it’s time for a Macan. Would like input on best options and must haves. Parameters:

1. Looking for an S. Budget is sub-50k. That puts me in the 2016-2018 range.
2. I think I want the fancy adjustable seats. Not sure what package those come with.
3. Cooled seats are close to a must.
4. Most used Macans come with the ugly 18” wheels. It seems cost prohibitive to buy larger wheels and tires separately.
5. Moonroof—worth it?
6. PASM—don’t see too many Macans out there with this option. How big of a difference does it make?

What else should I be considering? I love the GTS, but can’t find any in my price range. Truth be told, I love the options packages and builds of the Macan Sport Edition. But I don’t think I can live with the 4 cylinder. I know Cobb makes a tune, but would not go that route under warranty.

Has anyone cross-shopped a Cayenne S or GTS? Used Cayennes seem much better value than Macans.

Hit me with your opinions and suggestions!
1. self plug here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1145791
2. 14 way adjustable are in the Premium package with memory. but once you set them.. how often do you move them?
3. nice to have, but not very many have these
4. Larger rims limit tire choices (N rated) and increase cost.
5. we opted for no sunroof, if you don't use it very often and eliminated any leak issues
6. PASM is nice to have :^)

Lease returns that are CPO are hard to find with options you might want. Nav/ with phone module is a must, XM SAT (use all the time) and the media system,
good luck
Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Carmine Red is a must. Nothing else really matters.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

If you care about handling, especially coming out of a Cayman, PASM is a must. Just test drive a base sport edition with all the suspension options dialed into sport and then a S with no suspension options and see which one makes you smile more.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Sports chrono and air suspension/full leather/Carmine red.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
If you care about handling, especially coming out of a Cayman, PASM is a must. Just test drive a base sport edition with all the suspension options dialed into sport and then a S with no suspension options and see which one makes you smile more.
+1

My Macan Sport Edition is always set to the low suspension setting and Sport or Sport Plus. I have only used the standard setting on a couple of particularly bad roads. I never thought air suspension was a big deal, but now that I have lived with it for a few months, I can't image not having it.

I'm not a moonroof fan, but it does make the black interior (that my wife requires) feel less claustrophobic
Porsche Entry & Drive (keyless) is nice, too (Should be standard, like many options!)
Bi-Xenon headlights are an essential safety item for me (Should be standard, like many options!)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Coming from a Cayman the essential Macan options are:
- Air Suspension (PASM comes with)
- Sport Chrono
- 20" wheels (with the big fat tires.)
- PTV (very rare, 95B works very will with the above three.)

Those four are the 'handling' options. Everything else is a matter of taste, need, or for seats, the buttometer.

A Macan so-optioned, in Sport Mode, Sport+ Chassis Mode, and on "low" height will do things it shouldn't be able to do. Passengers will need their brown pants.
The following users liked this post:
wolverine1 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 PM
ADC1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

You have to drive a 4 and 6 cyl. I thought the 4 would be adequate but ordered an S.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Okay, you asked, so here’s my Macan ‘essential’ options (in no particular order):

- Sport Chrono pkg
- sport exhaust (PSE)
- air suspension/PASM
- 20” or 21” wheel option
- panoramic roof
- 18-way sport seats
- ventilated seats
- leather interior/two tone
- carbon fiber interior pkg
- Exclusive colored gauges & seatbelts
- Connect Plus (for Apple CarPlay...2017+ only though)

I could probably list a few others, but I’ll stop there.

You also asked if anyone cross-shopped the S and GTS...I did sort of. I started looking at the S but quickly determined I had to go with the GTS or the Turbo (I was coming from a heavily optioned Cayenne Turbo). Ultimately I liked the GTS better, and found one with a nice full build with help from my dealer.

Interesting you’re coming from a Cayman to a Macan...recently I’ve been looking at Cayman GTSs. Just curious at this point.

Best of luck with your quest!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a 987 manual CS, traded it toward a MacanTT. I miss the Cayman as it was so tossable, but driving the Macan is so much easier around town. The comfort settings you can get used to. The sporty settings are more fun than they should be in an SUV. The air suspension is great for the comfort settings, but I can't say the same if you want to keep it sporty, in which case you can live without the air suspension. You can live without sport chrono.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:41 PM
SilverBullets
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't cross shop the Cayenne with our Macan for a couple of reasons. The main one being my father has a 2016 Cayenne S which I've spent a significant amount of time driving and I knew I didn't want one. The second being we have a Touareg already.

The Cayenne is great if you need the additional space. My biggest issue with the Cayenne is the transmission. The PDK in the Macan is far superior to the tiptronic in the Cayenne. My biggest complaint with the Cayenne (which I think is a excellent vehicle by the way) is the transmission. The Macan completely remedies that. My dad had never driven a Macan and after spending 5 minutes behind the wheel he goes 'I wish the cayenne felt like this. The PDK makes a world of difference'.

With that said, size is the next biggest factor. If you need the space, the Cayenne is the pick. The Macan is fairly small. It's basically a taller sedan. The trunk is actually less wide in the Macan than my wife's previous VW GLI.

Must have things for us: 18 way seats are awesome in the bigger vehicle, PASM, PDLS, Ventilated seats (I live in the desert so those are used everyday), pano moon roof (really brightens the all black interior), and at minimum Bose (we have Burmester and it's awesome but it's not something I would have paid the upcharge for... we bought ours used)... for me that's about it.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:37 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Good enough to buy?
Or good enough to lease?
How long would you keep it?

Biggest motor, no sunroof, air conditioning, FM radio.
Any else, and your spoiling yourself.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Good enough to buy?
Or good enough to lease?
How long would you keep it?

Biggest motor, no sunroof, air conditioning, FM radio.
Any else, and your spoiling yourself.
What's wrong with a sunroof? I don't use mine a lot but when I want to it's nice to have. And an FM radio? I still haven't programmed any stations and my car is a '15. Not judging - just asking.

Quick Reply: Shopping for a Macan. Essential options?