Macan 2014-Current

3.6L appreciating in value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 3.6L appreciating in value?

It seems there is this huge push across several car manufacturers to go either hybrid or full electric. For instance, Volvo is the one that jumps out at me. And now Porsche is stating the Macan is headed in the same direction. I wonder out loud if we select few will see our Macan's slightly appreciate in value due to less vehicles to chose from if a potential owner wants something other than an electric car.

With that said, we know the 3.6L engine will no longer be used. If anything, the engines are getting smaller and smaller. And yes, they are getting more horsepower. HOWEVER, for those 'tune-heads', I would suspect eventually someone will really wind up modifying the engine to HP numbers you just will not be able to get with the smaller versions. IMO, the smaller engines just won't beable to produce any significant HP numbers that the 3.0L and the 3.6L engines will be able to.

Opinions?

BTW, I was on cars.com and car gurus. I only found one red Porsche Macan TT. It had similar options as mine. Odo read 5K. Dealer was asking.....$100,000 for it! They won't get it, but it made me think about the exclusivity of what we are now driving.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I doubt Macans will do anything but depreciate until they hit a natural low-point like most other modern Porsches. We'll have to wait and see how low that may be. Only the special limited-edition Porsches seem to avoid that curve. Look at the Cayenne Turbo/S they are relative bargains in the pre-owned marketplace. Porsche builds too many for them to maintain high values.

If anything, Macan hybrids might steepen our depreciation curve because Porsche hybrids sometimes provide better value than their conventional counterparts. Look at the Panamera E-Hybrid. It has similar horsepower to a Panamera GTS. Sure the E-Hybrid is a half-second slower to 0-60, but it offers a 20 percent lower price and perhaps 25%+ better fuel economy than the GTS. The way I see it, if a Macan E-Hybrid offers similar price/performance benefits, its not going to improve the Macan depreciation curve.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Hybrids are too complicated, complex and too expensive to troubleshoot and repair. I offer you the NSX... They can't give them away.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Hybrids are too complicated, complex and too expensive to troubleshoot and repair. I offer you the NSX... They can't give them away.

I am in the market for a Panamera Turbo or Turbo S e-Hybrid. First, all the is prefaced with the fact that the Panamera is expensive/overpriced and its market is soft overall, but I observe that the Turbo e-Hybrid discounts out of the gate are smaller than the turbo since there are less in the market but the e-Hybrid depreciates faster than the non-hybrid models. This is due to complicated and changing technology, heavy weight, and additional repair costs in addition to the very high price of the Turbo S. I do not feel that the Turbo S is pushing the Turbo price down. I don’t know if the same exists on the lower end of the market of the Panny S and the base hybrid. I would guess that the hybrid there is putting more price pressure on the S model due to pricing which is a dynamic that may exist in the Macan market. Overall, I do not think that the market for hybrids are going to destroy the price of the non hybrid models.

In terms of engine, I think it he 3.6 is still a depreciating asset but will remain desirable for some segment of the market which might flatten the curve somewhat, but look at the fact that the GTS with the smaller engine seems to have less steep of a curve than the Turbo or PP. This is probably as much a fact of MSRP and market availability as anything.

I am really happy I ended up with the 3.6 in mine, it was a big factor in the Turbo over the GTS. I would trade it for a flat 6, however, in a different body.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Oldbro
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be a sad day when you drive a Porsche and it’s silent. My wife loves her S but would not own one all electric. Technology advances are taking away the fun of driving.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldbro
It will be a sad day when you drive a Porsche and it’s silent. My wife loves her S but would not own one all electric. Technology advances are taking away the fun of driving.
I don't know Oldbro. Let's see what the Taycan brings us. I don't hear too many of my colleagues with Ludicrous Teslas complaining about lack of driving fun. It's certainly a 'different' experience, but is it really bad?

But I get it, I know what you're getting at (I've been a car enthusiast for decades). No more wonderful exhaust note for one.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
I am in the market for a Panamera Turbo or Turbo S e-Hybrid. First, all the is prefaced with the fact that the Panamera is expensive/overpriced and its market is soft overall, but I observe that the Turbo e-Hybrid discounts out of the gate are smaller than the turbo since there are less in the market but the e-Hybrid depreciates faster than the non-hybrid models. This is due to complicated and changing technology, heavy weight, and additional repair costs in addition to the very high price of the Turbo S. I do not feel that the Turbo S is pushing the Turbo price down. I don’t know if the same exists on the lower end of the market of the Panny S and the base hybrid. I would guess that the hybrid there is putting more price pressure on the S model due to pricing which is a dynamic that may exist in the Macan market. Overall, I do not think that the market for hybrids are going to destroy the price of the non hybrid models.

In terms of engine, I think it he 3.6 is still a depreciating asset but will remain desirable for some segment of the market which might flatten the curve somewhat, but look at the fact that the GTS with the smaller engine seems to have less steep of a curve than the Turbo or PP. This is probably as much a fact of MSRP and market availability as anything.

I am really happy I ended up with the 3.6 in mine, it was a big factor in the Turbo over the GTS. I would trade it for a flat 6, however, in a different body.
The GTS is and has been the more desirable version due to bolt-ons (pretty upgrades). They add nothing more but they are prettier. Forgive the term.

Quick Reply: 3.6L appreciating in value?