Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Turbo Ride Comfort vs Jag F-Pace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Macan Turbo Ride Comfort vs Jag F-Pace?

Quick history. I had a Range Rover Sport for a while and found the ride to be comfortable but the handling was floaty and wallowy. I wanted something sportier so I went to a Jaguar F-Pace S. The Jag is much more sporty but can be a little harsh over bumps and rough roads. I hadn't really considered a Macan but I drove a friend's new 718 Boxster with PASM over the weekend. It's a fantastic sports car but also took rough roads and entry curbs softer than my Jag! I was blown away and am wondering if a Macan Turbo is more comfortable than an F-Pace while maintaining that sporty character. Anyone with experience? If not, is the Macan Turbo suspension at least as comfortable as the 718? I would think so but I don't want to assume. Just trying to do some homework before I test drive. All feedback welcome.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Go drive both and see for yourself. Are you going to buy one or the other based on somebody else's opinion of what they think of the ride? You need to drive each. You need to decide if either one is right for you. Because at the end of the day, you are going to be paying for it and not the person you based your purchase decision on.

Just my opinion....
Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

I will certainly not drop ~$80k without a test drive. But in many cases a 20-minute test drive with a salesman doesn't reveal a car's true character. I was hoping someone who has owned both and experienced most of what they offer could chime in for a more real-world comparison. Just looking for experienced opinions.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 AM
burnsy1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the Fpace have air suspension?

I test drove the Fpace S and found it to be quite firm and would sometimes skip a bit around a corner if there were bumps in the road. The Macan can be had with Air Suspension +PASM. I think you would find the ride much more comfortable for sure in comfort mode.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by burnsy1
Did the Fpace have air suspension?

I test drove the Fpace S and found it to be quite firm and would sometimes skip a bit around a corner if there were bumps in the road. The Macan can be had with Air Suspension +PASM. I think you would find the ride much more comfortable for sure in comfort mode.
Thanks. No Air suspension in the F-Pace. It has steel coils but with a "dynamic" button to switch between comfort and sport. I don't notice any difference. Seems firm all the time.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:33 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

We cross shopped the F-Pace and Macan and had about 1hr in both before settling on the Macan GTS. Overall the driving characteristics were similar: firm, sporty but still pretty comfortable. Acceleration was also similar in both. The one place where the Macan excelled was high(ish) speed cornering and slalom where it had noticeably less body roll than the Jag. The F-Pace is larger inside than the Macan but the Porsche interior is more luxurious. Carmine Red is a better colour than the Jag equivalent!

Another thing to consider is that Jaguar Land Rover is not doing well financially and there are rumours that Tata plans to sell it to Peugeot. The long-term stability of Jaguar would be a concern for me.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
We cross shopped the F-Pace and Macan and had about 1hr in both before settling on the Macan GTS. Overall the driving characteristics were similar: firm, sporty but still pretty comfortable. Acceleration was also similar in both. The one place where the Macan excelled was high(ish) speed cornering and slalom where it had noticeably less body roll than the Jag. The F-Pace is larger inside than the Macan but the Porsche interior is more luxurious. Carmine Red is a better colour than the Jag equivalent!

Another thing to consider is that Jaguar Land Rover is not doing well financially and there are rumours that Tata plans to sell it to Peugeot. The long-term stability of Jaguar would be a concern for me.

Thanks for the input! And good to know about JLR finances.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

My answer is,,,, Rent one.. For the overall spend,, doing a full day behind the wheel is priceless.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
My answer is,,,, Rent one.. For the overall spend,, doing a full day behind the wheel is priceless.
Great idea!
Old 05-24-2019, 04:01 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 283 Posts

I have no experience with an F-Pace but I do have an opinion. We own both a base 718 Boxster without PASM and a 718 Cayman GTS with PASM. The Boxster without PASM is stiffer riding than the Cayman with it on Touring. With Sport and Sport Plus the GTS is stiffer than the Boxster. We both have spent a lot of time in base Macans and really like it. The Macan has has the same three dial instrument panel as the 718, the control buttons are very similar. I thought the ride on the base Macan is a little softer than the base Boxster but not as soft as the GTS in Touring. Switching to Sport in the base Macan adds a little stiffness but not a lot. We both also thought that the Cheyenne did not handle as nicely as the Macan. We are looking at buying a new model Macan and since we have the two 718’s there is no reason for us to get a Macan S, GTS or Turbo model. Go to a Porsche dealership and talk to them and see if they will rent you a dealer loaner Macan like Motörhead suggested above. Living with the car for a day or two will give you a lot more insight about the Macan. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:54 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't speak to the F-Pace, But I was surprised that the Macan Sport Edition with 20" wheels and air suspension rides better on every road than my departed 2010 BMW 328 on 16" wheels and standard suspension. Porsche certainly has some magic in their suspension systems for a 2 ton vehicle on 20" wheels to ride better than a 500 pound lighter BMW on relatively tall sidewalls. I know the runflats don't help the BMW's ride quality, but the Macan Sport Edition continues to impress me with its ride quality and handling. The more I drive it, the more happy I am with the Macan. And I have to comment that Jaguar typically does not have the reliability of Porsche. For that reason alone, I wouldn't even consider an F-Pace.
The following users liked this post:
Palmasea (06-21-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 AM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Great information and ideas.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:08 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I had a 2017 Macan S with the spring suspension and found it to be smooth and quiet - but also very "floaty" and with too much bounce and dive under hard braking. I disliked the ride so much I test drove a Macan Turbo with the air suspension and was immediately sold. I ordered (and now own) a Macan Turbo with the performance package (as well as selecting the 20" wheels instead of the standard 21") and I couldn't be happier. The suspension is adjustable for a decent ride (still firm) on a low quality highway, but can be stiffened up (and lowered a little bit) with the touch of a button. It's heavier than the Macan S, but I suspect a Macan S (or GTS) with the air suspension would be just as good if not better (I haven't driven those). Based on my experience, just a test drive will be sufficient for you to make the call.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:13 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I owned a 2015 Macan S with air suspension- probably the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. I'll probably buy another one.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Last time I was at the dealer for the annual maintenance on my Macan Turbo, I was given a Jag F-Pace (top of the line 'S') as a loaner for a few days. I honestly didn't find it in the same league as the T, cheapish interior (just open the passenger door and see all the big hard plastic trim around the cavity - that says it all). Same goes for handling - my Macan on PASM (even before my H&R air suspension lowering module) inspires a lot more confidence when driven spiritedly on B roads, without sacrificing comfort. Jag felt like an SUV, Macan much closer to a sports car (dare I say sports wagon - as that is how my State lists it on my registration card! LOL). I like the look of the Jag, and the sound, though in the cabin it is pretty artificially boosted. Steering also felt very vague and not confidence inspiring FWIW.

Quick Reply: Macan Turbo Ride Comfort vs Jag F-Pace?