Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Macan (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan-232/)
-   -   Which Macan to buy? (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/1143436-which-macan-to-buy.html)

CaptCody 05-17-2019 01:13 AM

Which Macan to buy?

Just starting researching which Macan we might buy new. Favoring a "S". Know Porsche from running our 2013 996 Turbo on the street for the past several years. Would be switching from historically driving BMW X's (currently an X3 335i). Always have driven six cylinders. Looking for both positives and things to watch out for from the reality Rennlist affords. Would be driven in Southern California. Comments? Still interested in thoughts and experiences despite any Machan S delay.

ottobon100 05-20-2019 09:40 AM

I would highly suggest test driving a "base" and an "S". I did and for me the "S" was the winner. It is a two ton vehicle and for me I wanted the extra horsepower. I am very happy with my decision. Depends on your personal tastes.

MarkinMD 05-20-2019 05:12 PM

I am very happy with my '18 Macan Sport Edition (base 2 liter engine). I bought it for daily driving, which often includes longer trips. On a recent 700 mile trip, it returned just over 29 MPG at an average speed of 67 MPH. I'm reimbursed by the mile, so that is a win. The off-the-line performance is a little sluggish and it seems wrong not to have a "real" Porsche engine in a Porsche. But those were compromises I chose for better highway mileage. It still has the core features that make the entire Macan family so compelling.

I like light vehicles. Several years ago I sold a C4S because it felt too heavy to me. I was spoiled by the base Boxster I had previously. The Macan is the heaviest vehicle I have owned in 48 years of car ownership. Make no mistake, the air-suspension in the Macan delivers fantastic ride/handling and does its best to hide the mass. It is a personal thing. Even though the Macan is very capable, I do not enjoy pushing a heavy vehicle around. I am fortunate to have a 911 C2 when I want a dance partner.

All that said, drive what feels right to you. If it's not fun, what's the point?

CarGuyNVA 05-20-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CaptCody (Post 15846379)
Just starting researching which Macan we might buy new. Favoring a "S". Know Porsche from running our 2013 996 Turbo on the street for the past several years. Would be switching from historically driving BMW X's (currently an X3 335i). Always have driven six cylinders. Looking for both positives and things to watch out for from the reality Rennlist affords. Would be driven in Southern California. Comments? Still interested in thoughts and experiences despite any Machan S delay.

Why stop at the S?? If you can wait, a Turbo S is rumored to be coming! :evilgrin:

(you asked!) ;)

Seriously though, if you're an enthusiast and looking at the models currently available to order, I'd suggest the S over the base model for sure.

mwar99 05-20-2019 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA (Post 15853987)
Why stop at the S?? If you can wait, a Turbo S is rumored to be coming! :evilgrin:

(you asked!) ;)

Seriously though, if you're an enthusiast and looking at the models currently available to order, I'd suggest the S over the base model for sure.

Or see if you can find a 2018 leftover Turbo Performance Pack (from what I read the only reason they didn't call it a Turbo S was because it doesn't come standard with PCCB). I pick one up tomorrow and I was shopping for a 2019 S or 2018 GTS and ended up with the Turbo. Car looks great and I can't wait to pick it up. Spent way more than I went in wanting to, but such is life. I will enjoy this vehicle for a while.

CarGuyNVA 05-21-2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mwar99 (Post 15854333)
Or see if you can find a 2018 leftover Turbo Performance Pack (from what I read the only reason they didn't call it a Turbo S was because it doesn't come standard with PCCB).

True, but I assumed the OP is looking at the 2019+ updated models since they mentioned "new".

JC Lacayo 05-21-2019 02:03 PM

I drive the 996tt on the weekends (when I get a chance), and the Macan Turbo has a nice punch to it. Not sure it is worth the extra dough, unless you can really open it up on longer stretches of road.

blacksheepSpyder 05-21-2019 05:33 PM

Get the S and a cobb tuner.... just saying

raclaims 05-21-2019 05:39 PM

I have a GTS and freakin love it.

porscherenn 05-21-2019 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarkinMD (Post 15853986)
I am very happy with my '18 Macan Sport Edition (base 2 liter engine). I bought it for daily driving, which often includes longer trips. On a recent 700 mile trip, it returned just over 29 MPG at an average speed of 67 MPH. I'm reimbursed by the mile, so that is a win. The off-the-line performance is a little sluggish and it seems wrong not to have a "real" Porsche engine in a Porsche. But those were compromises I chose for better highway mileage. It still has the core features that make the entire Macan family so compelling.

I like light vehicles. Several years ago I sold a C4S because it felt too heavy to me. I was spoiled by the base Boxster I had previously. The Macan is the heaviest vehicle I have owned in 48 years of car ownership. Make no mistake, the air-suspension in the Macan delivers fantastic ride/handling and does its best to hide the mass. It is a personal thing. Even though the Macan is very capable, I do not enjoy pushing a heavy vehicle around. I am fortunate to have a 911 C2 when I want a dance partner.

All that said, drive what feels right to you. If it's not fun, what's the point?

Yes !!! I also have Macan Sport Edition !! I chose this model since it had a lot of extra options standard like air suspension.... It is not super fast but it is fast enough for daily driving.. I also own 2018 AMG C63 back in my country.. So I still know how powerful car feels like... I am totally happy with my choice...

PJ Cayenne 05-21-2019 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarkinMD (Post 15853986)

Originally Posted by porscherenn (Post 15856829)
Yes !!! I also have Macan Sport Edition !! I chose this model since it had a lot of extra options standard like air suspension.... It is not super fast but it is fast enough for daily driving.. I also own 2018 AMG C63 back in my country.. So I still know how powerful car feels like... I am totally happy with my choice...

Another new Macan Sport Edition owner here. It replaced our Cayenne Diesel and it is a much more fun car to drive than the Cayenne. Our needs and fleet has changed, so we no longer needed a big Porsche SUV. The Macan is perfect for our very frequent short range trips and occasional longer trip of a few hours. The Mecan is faster than the CD and my Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi to 60 mph. Great features in the SE and the workmanship and quality is as good as the Cayenne. I have driven the Macan S, it is nice. but it becomes a personal choice of money versus power. Like MarkinMD, I also have a 911 C2 to dance with, and prefer to save my swifter driving for the 911 and not the SUVs.

///Bruce 05-22-2019 01:35 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...281ec916b4.jpg
Okay, this is like being back in IT when a CEO comes to me and asks me to give him a quote for Disaster Recovery. My responses over the years was "So, what kind of disaster do you want to recover from?" Does your primary server melt into a pile of silicon and plastic? Does the Corporate Headquarters building fall on its side? Or maybe it's taken to a galaxy far far away?

Each if these 'solutions' comes with a price tag associated with the 'disaster' you want to recover from. Now, to the OP, you have choices. There's the Macan, the Macan S, the Macan GTS, the Macan Turbo, the Macan Turbo PP and the other one with the fancy plastic trim stuff. SE isn't it?

Each of these comes with a price tag and only you can decide what you believe you can afford; before and possibly after mods. The other are the various options with each model. Personally, I almost bought a CPO. Never received the service records and that killed the deal. So, I bought new. Based on what I had read, I chose the Turbo. It had to have (remember: 'must have', 'should have' and 'nice to have' categories) for me AS, PASM, Chrono Package and 18-way seats. Next I looked at colors. NO BLACK!!! I dislike white; makes it look fat. Gray is a cool color. The brownish one, it's brown. No. Blue; the CPO was a blue one. I found a 2018 Carmine Red with 23 miles on it in Ohio. It had my 'must haves'. It also happened to have CF package, RS Spyders and PSE. Boom. I've owned it since September and have 11,000 miles on it. I personally change the oil and all filters.

Will I screw with it by tuning it? Not sure. I'll tell you why since I know you're curious. Years ago, I bought a 1995 e36 M3. I ordered it! Hellrot Red on black Vaders with a 5 speed. Owned it for 6 years. Sold it with 99,800 miles on it and still running the original brake pads. Now, truth be told, I went through a few clutches from downshifting rather than using the brakes. Over the years I modified it. I added a Dinan SC kit to it. That kicked it to ~360HP. In a small lightweight M3 running Ground Control coilers, Racing Dynamic sway bars, B&B exhaust, etc, etc. it would scoot.

At that time, Momentum BMW in Houston had an active test track behind the showroom. At one time there was a Cafe Express on the 2nd floor to watch people race. The dealerships driver was a previous professional race car driver, Armando Trentini (sp?). He told me to bring the car over some day. So, one day I did. I drove around the track with Armando inside a few times. I then asked if he would drive it and 'teach me'. As we hit the first apex, I would hear him say 'apex, brake, accelerate' picking up speed after each lap. After the fifth lap, I asked him to pull over. He did. When we stopped, he asked what was up. My response? "You scared me". "I didn't know the car could do that!".

Now, will I flash the Macan? Not for a while. I'm still discovering.

"Drive it like you stole it; if not, your wife will" - BDB

You have to define what you want.

rpm's S2 05-22-2019 06:47 PM

I’d seriously look at an Audi SQ5 before buying a base Macan.

KM1959 05-23-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by rpm's S2 (Post 15858857)
I’d seriously look at an Audi SQ5 before buying a base Macan.

This guy gives great advice. But if you're going to stick with Porsche you should at least get an S. The base didn't feel very "Porsche" to me.

///Bruce 05-23-2019 06:57 PM

3.6L Turbo. Remember, they're downsizing all their engines right now. I believe in time you will see some monster tuning results on the 3.6L that you will never get out of the smaller engines.