Macan 2014-Current

Which Macan to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
3.6L Turbo. Remember, they're downsizing all their engines right now. I believe in time you will see some monster tuning results on the 3.6L that you will never get out of the smaller engines.
Displacement isn’t as critical that much anymore in these days of forced induction, variable cam lift/valve timing, etc. For example have you seen what Porsche and Audi is doing with the new 2.9L?! You can make plenty of power with just about anything.

Also look at the previous 4.8L V8 twin turbo compared to the new 4.0L version. Technology marches on.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (07-02-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

You know the saying. No replacement... Now keep in mind. I get it. I'm a child of the 40's. Yes, I'm old. My dad owned/operated a state inspection station in South Philly. I was put to work when I was 13. I escaped when I was 20 and enlisted in the USAF in 1969.

But, what that means, I had the joy of working (and driving) all of those muscle cars from the 50's up through 1969. Detroits heyday. Going 0 to 60 in 7 seconds was FAST back then. Now we're looking at 1.6, 1.8 seconds to 60. Time does march on.

But right now, you sing the song of "vaporware". Until something comes along that's better than my 3.6L TT, no one has room to talk about what will be under the porsche banner. For now....
Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
You know the saying. No replacement... Now keep in mind. I get it. I'm a child of the 40's. Yes, I'm old. My dad owned/operated a state inspection station in South Philly. I was put to work when I was 13. I escaped when I was 20 and enlisted in the USAF in 1969.

But, what that means, I had the joy of working (and driving) all of those muscle cars from the 50's up through 1969. Detroits heyday. Going 0 to 60 in 7 seconds was FAST back then. Now we're looking at 1.6, 1.8 seconds to 60. Time does march on.

But right now, you sing the song of "vaporware". Until something comes along that's better than my 3.6L TT, no one has room to talk about what will be under the porsche banner. For now....
You’re preaching to the choir......440 Magnum Coronet R/T, SD-455 TAs (‘73 & ‘74), 70 Cuda 440 6-pack, Z28s, etc....yeah, I’ve owned a bunch. Musclecar guy through and through. So I get the whole displacement thing. But nowadays, doesn’t hold as true as it once did. Sure ALL things being equal, a larger displacement will take it. But in reality it just doesn’t play out that way anymore.

As for your current 3.6L, sure, nice motor, but it’s already been surpassed by current Porsche powertrain offerings. For example the new gen Macan Turbo is coming with the 440hp 2.9L that’s already available in the Panamera. That’s just the nature of the beast. Technology and performance continue to improve and surpass their predecessors. As you pointed out yourself, 0-60 in 7 seconds from a factory performance offering used to be considered fast....things improved.

Okay, time to let this thread get back on track.

So OP, what are you leaning toward at this point?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:43 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

To the OP, are you looking at a new 2018 S or a new 2019 S? I would think there's still a few '18 S's out there. The current body has been in production since, what, late 2014? Tried and true, especially the '17 and '18 models. The '19's will have both a new body design as well as a new engine. Lots of changes coming all at once. Let us know what your plans are.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

A 2018 base Sport Edition is no slouch and plenty out there for deals to be had. I have a GTS and have no regrets but if my budget permitted me to only go up to a low optioned S, I'd take a base Sport Edition instead. Let me emphasize again that it would have to be the SPORT EDITION. The 2.0T is not lacking in power except top end speed/acceleration but it does lack in sound. The Sport Edition has got all the suspension set up from a GTS (PASM, air suspension, 20" wheels and tire) and with the driving I do, handling is much more appreciated than speed so if I had to choose one or the other, it would be handling. If you happen to find a S spec'd with the handling options, then sure but those are few and far between. The V6 definitely sounds better but few S were spec'd with the sport exhaust so prepare to spend some more on rectifying that too.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

^ +1. Great suspension on the SE. Most come nicely equipped.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:35 AM
porscherenn
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
A 2018 base Sport Edition is no slouch and plenty out there for deals to be had. I have a GTS and have no regrets but if my budget permitted me to only go up to a low optioned S, I'd take a base Sport Edition instead. Let me emphasize again that it would have to be the SPORT EDITION. The 2.0T is not lacking in power except top end speed/acceleration but it does lack in sound. The Sport Edition has got all the suspension set up from a GTS (PASM, air suspension, 20" wheels and tire) and with the driving I do, handling is much more appreciated than speed so if I had to choose one or the other, it would be handling. If you happen to find a S spec'd with the handling options, then sure but those are few and far between. The V6 definitely sounds better but few S were spec'd with the sport exhaust so prepare to spend some more on rectifying that too.
I compensated lack of power of 2.0T Engine with ECU tuneup ! In theory, makes about 320hp... Again, I chose Sport Edition due to so many options that I was able to get bundled together. Sound is ok... meh...... This is the probably one critical downside of getting 2.0 versions. I would say SE Macan is like Boxster of Macan lol.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscherenn
Sound is ok... meh...... This is the probably one critical downside of getting 2.0 versions.
Interesting. This is the same strong criticism coming from the Boxster/Cayman crowd when the 718s went to 4 cylinder turbo engines (2.0 and 2.5L).
Old 05-26-2019, 03:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I had a couple base Macan's as loaners and as far as a commuter it was great. If I was buying one though, I would want the GTS.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:43 AM
CaptCody
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still favoring Machan S. No particular hurry, so may wait for a 2020 with 2019 deliveries being what they seem, unless I physically see a 2019 that fits our simple needs. Thanks for asking for the feedback.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:53 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I am in a similar situation and have two options to choose from: First one is a 2015 Macan S with 20k miles (MSRP 55k, asking 42K), pretty base with very few extras and second one is a brand new 2018 Macan SE with few nice options (MSRP 65k asking 56k). Given the fact that SE has all the nice goodies and is brand new is pretty tempting while on the other hand I think the V6 engine would trump all the advantages of the new 2018 SE. I am still undecided but I thinkI am going to pull the trigger on of the two, (It depends also how much more the dealers are willing to go down with their prices). Any tips and advise would be highly appreciated!
Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
I am in a similar situation and have two options to choose from: First one is a 2015 Macan S with 20k miles (MSRP 55k, asking 42K), pretty base with very few extras and second one is a brand new 2018 Macan SE with few nice options (MSRP 65k asking 56k). Given the fact that SE has all the nice goodies and is brand new is pretty tempting while on the other hand I think the V6 engine would trump all the advantages of the new 2018 SE. I am still undecided but I thinkI am going to pull the trigger on of the two, (It depends also how much more the dealers are willing to go down with their prices). Any tips and advise would be highly appreciated!
Given these two choices, you just have to consider your own personal driving style. Personally, I'd take the SE and add a tune to it. That configuration would suit my driving style much better and would be more fun for me on a daily basis.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

We picked up my wife’s new 2019 Macan S on Saturday. She had a 2017 Macan S which she she loved. I always thought a previous Boxster was going to be her favorite car until she got the 2017 Macan S. She has enjoyed it so much we ordered her the 2019 with the options she most wanted. I’ve been very impressed with the Macan’s performance and handling. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Macan S.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:48 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Originally Posted by rasetsu
Given these two choices, you just have to consider your own personal driving style. Personally, I'd take the SE and add a tune to it. That configuration would suit my driving style much better and would be more fun for me on a daily basis.
Realistically, for everyday use, the SE with the air suspension is a great way to go. It rides really well and utilizes the power of the 2.0T very effectively. It returns an easy 25mpg on the highway and has just enough grunt to keep it interesting. About its' only fault is that it isn't super fast. For some drivers that's fine and in crowded regions where you sit in traffic most of the time just makes more sense.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:06 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Realistically, for everyday use, the SE with the air suspension is a great way to go. It rides really well and utilizes the power of the 2.0T very effectively. It returns an easy 25mpg on the highway and has just enough grunt to keep it interesting. About its' only fault is that it isn't super fast. For some drivers that's fine and in crowded regions where you sit in traffic most of the time just makes more sense.
These are great points, thank you. For me personally the handling is much more important than having a faster car. Here in the US we have a speed limit of 65mph and after certain power level, in my mind a fast car is useless, except when you are tracking the car. From all what I hear, the SE with air suspension seem to have a better handling than the S without, correct? If that is the case and the 2.0T has some decent power I think I know what I am going for. Thank You!

Quick Reply: Which Macan to buy?