Macan 2014-Current

Certified Warranty - Worthless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 PM
luvacatfight
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Certified Warranty - Worthless?

LUV my 2015 Macan Turbo I bought in December 2018 as a certified used car.

In April 2019 a front wheel bearing failed. At 57,000 miles.

Was advised by the dealer that a wheel bearing is considered a wear item.

Confirmed by a customer service rep from Porsche Certified. That a wheel bearing is a wear item.

My question is whether there is any value in buying a certified used Porsche?

Or is "Certified" a con job?

Thank you.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

I would be making a stink about that! I only have had one wheel bearing go on a European car, (2015 BMW) at 30,000 miles and was done under regular warranty.

I have had multiple Porsche’s BMW’s and Mercedes all at 80.000-130,000 miles and all on original wheel bearings.

Go to your pre owned sales manager who sold you the car and say WTF??
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

I had a high pressure fuel pump fail on my '14 911. Bill was just over $2k. CPO covered it completely. Had a few other issues including changeover valves that caused the heater to fail as well as a freon leak that CPO took care of. I've probably broken even or just ahead. Have about 11 months left on the CPO.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:14 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Our Macan is at the dealership right now getting the engine-out-leaking-timing-chain-cover service and the transfer case exchanged for a rebuilt.

All under CPO.

Works for me.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Certified Pre-Owned means that SOMEONE OWNED YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU!!!!! That's all 'certification' does and gives you a shaky 'extended warranty' for a few more years.

I mentioned on another forum that we almost bought a 2008 X5 5.0, Certified. Turned out the Navigation system and the MMI were not covered under the CPO program. You needed to buy an additional warranty for those additional items.

I also mentioned that I HEARD a dealer can change up to three panels on a CPO car and sell it as a CPO car. Don't know if it's true. But what I know IS true a dealership can repair any damage to any part of your car as long as he reuses the same panels and still certify it. It happened to me. A crappily repaired left front fender and missing hardware (screws) missing. CERTIFIED! It's legal....

Your only protection in instances like this is your brain. Carfax, Autocheck, service records, independent mechanic inspection, personal inspection. All of these will help you make an informed decision before you buy used.

To the OP, it's a sealed wheel bearing. IMO, it should be covered. But what I'm surfing out there in reading about this, you're screwed. I might suggest you do it yourself. It's not that difficult a job. Really. GL.
Your only protection when you buy used, certified or not, is yourself!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:39 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I checked the Porsche CPO warranty documentation and wheel bearings are not mentioned in it as an
excluded item. It does make note of 'normal wear and tear' items.

Clearly a wheel bearing failing at a mere 30K miles is NOT showing NORMAL wear and tear.

I would recommend escalating the issue at your Porsche dealership. If you can get no satisfaction there, try
another dealership or go to PCNA directly.

Tell your dealership you've already publicized their behavior in this instance in an online forum, so they will be
aware they're getting 'free advertising'.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

O/P - I would hope a wheel bearing would be covered as a CPO car.
Is this the dealer telling you that it is not covered? This is a franchisee? correct?
Check with Porsche head office to see if bearing as covered?
In the even that it is not covered? What is the cost of the part and repair?

Here is a thought... if not covered. Should you be rewarding the dealer with your payment?
I see the front wheel bearing kit @$155 cdn https://germanparts.ca/parts/porsche...ring-hub/front
I did a quick suncoast search and it didn't come up.
I'm sure a good indy shop could do this in three hours-ish.
Only issue with using an indy, is if there is a future OEM recall of this issue, you may have difficulty claiming back the cost from an indy.
Why reward for poor behavior?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:50 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Our Macan is at the dealership right now getting the engine-out-leaking-timing-chain-cover service and the transfer case exchanged for a rebuilt.

All under CPO.

Works for me.
Had the same leak fixed under CPO. This timing chain cover leak seems way to common.....
Old 04-22-2019, 09:55 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by John Veninger
Had the same leak fixed under CPO. This timing chain cover leak seems way to common.....
Aluminum fasteners for the cover...
Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Most of my newer cars have been CPO'd, and it's more often than not worked out in my favor. Had to bring in the Macan for the squeaky steering wheel issue, a warning speaker that was buzzy and a broken washer pump. None of those fixes would have been cheap if they came out of my pocket, so I'm happy that my Macan is a CPO car.
The following users liked this post:
Nein_11 (07-13-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I’d put less than 300 miles on my CPO Macan when I noticed the shuddering at take off. New transfer case installed yesterday no questions asked other than the service manager driving it to confirm the issue. From other threads it looks like a $4500 repair when done out of warranty. There wasn’t significant savings to be had by purchasing a private party non-CPO vehicle so I’m ahead at this point.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:13 PM
luvacatfight
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

The car was purchased from International Porsche in Waukesha, Wisconsin. The wheel bearing diagnosis was (correctly) diagnosed by The Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, IL.
A Customer Service Rep at Porsche Certified Pre-Owned Customer Service (800) 767-7243 also advised me the wheel bearing wasn't covered by the CPO Warranty. Which was irritating.

All worked out for the best I guess? Discovered a DELIGHTFUL indy shop which did the repair including a new hub for $655.00

Thanks to all who have related much better experiences with their CPO'd Porsches.

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
O/P - I would hope a wheel bearing would be covered as a CPO car.
Is this the dealer telling you that it is not covered? This is a franchisee? correct?
Check with Porsche head office to see if bearing as covered?
In the even that it is not covered? What is the cost of the part and repair?

Here is a thought... if not covered. Should you be rewarding the dealer with your payment?
I see the front wheel bearing kit @$155 cdn https://germanparts.ca/parts/porsche...ring-hub/front
I did a quick suncoast search and it didn't come up.
I'm sure a good indy shop could do this in three hours-ish.
Only issue with using an indy, is if there is a future OEM recall of this issue, you may have difficulty claiming back the cost from an indy.
Why reward for poor behavior?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:34 AM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

It's kind of alarming to hear of all the problems these cars are having under warranty. I hope they hold up in the long run because I love the way the Macan drives and wouldn't mind having one.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:29 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Buddies 2015 RS5 with extended warranty and service. Wheel bearing not covered either.
All I want to know is if it is covered. After that I will decide who will be remunerated for the job.
BUT, I get to choose.
That bratty kid, gets no ice cream.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I’d put less than 300 miles on my CPO Macan when I noticed the shuddering at take off. New transfer case installed yesterday no questions asked other than the service manager driving it to confirm the issue. From other threads it looks like a $4500 repair when done out of warranty. There wasn’t significant savings to be had by purchasing a private party non-CPO vehicle so I’m ahead at this point.
Just about the same with me. New transfer case done for my '16 Macan S on Wednesday. My cost $0.

Quick Reply: Certified Warranty - Worthless?