Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Macan (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan-232/)
-   -   2018/2019 Macan (https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/1136270-2018-2019-macan.html)

Thor's 03-30-2019 10:28 PM

2018/2019 Macan

Went to dealerships this weekend as my wife begins the search for her next car/SUV. We looked at Acura, Lexus, etc. and she just loved the Porsche Macan. I’ve seen the base Macan online in the $42k range before discount so it is pretty competitive with the Accura RDX and various Lexus NX-? Models. She HATES the whole mouse pad concept that seems to be growing in prevalence on the Japanese luxury SUVs since the display screens are just so far away from the driver.

For those who own a 2017 or 2018 base Macan, how pleased are you with the vehicle? What can I expect in terms of maintenance cost per year since she puts ~25k miles per year on her car going to and from work?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

iammacey 03-31-2019 12:51 AM

We have a 2017 base Macan. MSRP was $63k or so. Several options like Premium Package Plus, Bose, Moonroof, 21" wheels, etc...

Purchased December 2016 and currently at 26,500 miles. I've done one set of tires and a couple of oil changes/services. Other than that, it's been without issue.

The base engine isn't insanely quick, but it's fast enough for what it is. Given the weight, handling is very good. PDK shifts quickly and is easy to live with in auto mode. In manual mode it's quite good and shifting with paddles changes the experience as expected.

Brakes are good but not great, given the weight. They are a little touchy and the pedal feel at slow speeds takes some adjusting. Combined with the PDK this can make reversing into spaces less precise. Depreciation is definitely an issue. So if you don't plan on keeping it long term, consider CPO.

I leased this vehicle knowing my vehicle ADD would take over. It's been great for sure and my girlfriend still loves it. I'm itching for a change, but that's not a shortcoming of the Macan. Just time for me to get something else.

If I had it to differently I would have gotten a CPO'd Macan S and I wouldn't have done 21" wheels. I also would have gotten a factory tow hitch. Which I could add, but don't want to invest in it since it is leased.

All in all, it's very comfortable, fun to drive, nice tech, and looks great. In most cases maintenance costs shouldn't be excessive.

sexfiend 03-31-2019 04:25 PM

almost guaranteed, you will be more than happy. had a 18 macan base, no performance options, steel suspension, no pasm, no sport exhaust, etc. barebones.
if i someone told me this car had all options i wouldnt have been able to tell. its so good for daily driving. handles awesome, porsche level, better comfort and feel than , better than a mercedes glc 43 amg w all the bells and whistles.
in terms of solid feel its also top notch.

yeah im not a fan of the japanese cars. i tried the lexus and acuras but its nowhere close to degree of precision and ergonomics nor comfort, you wont regret it

u dont have to worry bout maintenace, had many porsche cars, i spend on avg <500 usd for maintenance per 20k miles, maybe even less. that's not counting winter tires but that's with any car.

the reliability of porsche has always been better than other german cars, but recently it really has been up there from experiences of others and mine, the forums will confirm this.

Thor's 04-01-2019 09:56 PM

Thank you for the input gentlemen. Very much appreciated, :thumbup:

Chris 04-02-2019 06:49 PM

We have a 2018 Base Macan with Premium Package plus, LCA, roof rails and steering wheel heating and now just approaching its 20K service.

Overall a great car, yes more performance would be nice but for a daily driver it is more than ample. When pushing, the engine runs out of ooomph at the higher rpms and the noise is not the best, leave it cruising in 7th, however, it is nicely refined and will stay in 7th at 80mph on a steep gradient.

Gripes:
1. Most annoying feature is the front and rear parking/proximity sensors, way too sensitive and come on often for no reason but this is not limited to the base.
2. Next is the OMG moment at junctions when you want to pull out in a hurry and find that the transmission thinks 2nd is a good choice.
3. Brake dust, get used to it as there is lots of it.

Her indoors loves it, so likely keeping it for a while.

Thor's 04-02-2019 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 15746662)
We have a 2018 Base Macan with Premium Package plus, LCA, roof rails and steering wheel heating and now just approaching its 20K service.

Overall a great car, yes more performance would be nice but for a daily driver it is more than ample. When pushing, the engine runs out of ooomph at the higher rpms and the noise is not the best, leave it cruising in 7th, however, it is nicely refined and will stay in 7th at 80mph on a steep gradient.

Gripes:
1. Most annoying feature is the front and rear parking/proximity sensors, way too sensitive and come on often for no reason but this is not limited to the base.
2. Next is the OMG moment at junctions when you want to pull out in a hurry and find that the transmission thinks 2nd is a good choice.
3. Brake dust, get used to it as there is lots of it.

Her indoors loves it, so likely keeping it for a while.

Chris - Thank you for the input. My wife has been dreaming of owning a Macan for years and just loves everything about it. Per the 3 responses to-date, it looks like the base is the way to go for driving style and needs. Most driving will be around town with an occasional long trip on the highway.

Do you plan to keep the Macan and if yes, will you purchase the extended warrantee?

Thanks again,
-Thor

Chris 04-02-2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thor's (Post 15746683)
Chris - Thank you for the input. My wife has been dreaming of owning a Macan for years and just loves everything about it. Per the 3 responses to-date, it looks like the base is the way to go for driving style and needs. Most driving will be around town with an occasional long trip on the highway In regard to the proximity sensors, I notice the same issue on my 911 where they do seem to be a bit on the sensitive side. Not necessarily a bad feature since I expect body work on the Porsche can be expensive. Do you plan to keep the Macan and if yes, will you purchase the extended warrantee?

Thanks again,
-Thor

Lol, everything on a Porsche is expensive :)

Yes we plan to keep the Macan and no we did not purchase the extended warranty but that is more of a personal thing, if you can get a good deal on one and like the peace of mind go for it.

Oh one other thing, we disabled the stop/start function from activating, it was too intrusive which is weird as it works great on my golf (same engine) and Cayman.

rbaron 04-02-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thor's (Post 15740231)
Went to dealerships this weekend as my wife begins the search for her next car/SUV. We looked at Acura, Lexus, etc. and she just loved the Porsche Macan. I’ve seen the base Macan online in the $42k range before discount so it is pretty competitive with the Accura RDX and various Lexus NX-? Models.

$42k? Before discount? What? Where? On a Macan base with MSRP starting in the 50's?

--Bob

Thor's 04-02-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by rbaron (Post 15746713)
$42k? Before discount? What? Where? On a Macan base with MSRP starting in the 50's?

--Bob

Sorry, wasn't a new one but loaner vehicle.

Thor's 04-02-2019 07:38 PM

Given the standard rims and tires, how many miles can I expect out of a set of tires and cost for replacement? -Thanks