Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan auto-start/stop problems?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:16 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Macan auto-start/stop problems?

Have any Macan owners noticed the same auto-start/stop problem that Cayenne owners are reporting at this thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...elerating.html
Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

"Not I", said the little red hen...

Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 89 Posts

Not on my 2018 GTS, but my wifes 2018 Audi SQ5 (same 3.0T that the 2019 Macan S will have) shuts of while you are still rolling slowly. By slowly I mean decelerating below probably 5mph, and steering appears to function normally.

I'm guessing it's designed into the software to further extend the time the engine is off, it's definitely a bit disconcerting initially, but we're used to it now, and I don't feel by any means its "dangerous"...

I'd expect this behavior on the facelifted Macan.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,128 Likes on 3,903 Posts

All this intrusive, useless technology is exactly why my newest vehicle is my 2009 Cayenne TTS with no desire for anything more current in any of my platforms - sports cars, SUVs, pickups.

Auto Start/stop is about the dumbest technology ever implemented. Most wear occurs on an engine at startup and now we're doing it 50 times a day instead of 4 - great idea. How long are these starters going to last that probably cost about $1,000?

All this modern crap sucks - auto parking assist, distance sensing cruise control, lane departure assist, etc, etc, etc - drive your cars people - put down the phones, actually look at the road, and use the car controls. This technology does not make the roads safer - it makes it all less safe as people now pay way less attention since the car is doing it for them.

I travel for work and rent different cars every week. The first thing I do when getting into a rental car is find the buttons to turn off all the "assistance" crap.

Sadly, until a number of accidents occur and lawsuits and reports to the NHTSA are filed on the behavior of this auto start / stop function, Porsche likely won't do anything about it.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:27 AM
gfspencer
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I turned my auto stop/start off.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Volvo (of all car companies!) has yielded to customer unhappiness and changed from MY2018 to MY2019 in allowing the driver to (again, as in MY2017) permanently disable auto-start/stop. So Porsche can do it, too, as it used to allow in older models. Porsche (of all car companies!) really should allow the driver to permanently disable auto-start/stop in all ICE-only vehicles; auto-start/stop only makes sense in hybrid vehicles, where you can start again after stopping in all-electric mode, as is nice in my E-Hybrid.

But not all the new tech is bad, and I buy Porsches because I like to drive and focus on the road and the car: the park-assist lights (center screen) and sounds are very helpful with larger vehicles so you don't hit something while parking; the LCA feature with lights on mirrors helps with blind spots because Porsche makes exterior mirrors that are too small on its 4-door vehicles; the adaptive cruise control is really wonderful for long-distance road trips, to reduce fatigue (I don't use any of the other automated stuff like lane-keeping aid, again because I like to drive); the infrared night-vision camera, which helps to pick up pedestrians, bicyclists, and animals while driving at night when you have light glare in your face; and the E-Hybrid tech is absolutely amazing, making the car much more fun to drive than an ICE-only vehicle.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^same it's very annoying. Didn't know it had that option. Thank god u can shut it off. Mike
Old 03-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I shut mine off within five minutes of driving my GTS, so the auto start/stop issues have never happened to me.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Never seen the issue with our S, it only stops/starts if you are at a full stop. Maybe the new Macan with the Audi engines will have this problem like the new Audi engine based Cayenne's.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
All this intrusive, useless technology is exactly why my newest vehicle is my 2009 Cayenne TTS with no desire for anything more current in any of my platforms - sports cars, SUVs, pickups.

Auto Start/stop is about the dumbest technology ever implemented. Most wear occurs on an engine at startup and now we're doing it 50 times a day instead of 4 - great idea. How long are these starters going to last that probably cost about $1,000?

All this modern crap sucks - auto parking assist, distance sensing cruise control, lane departure assist, etc, etc, etc - drive your cars people - put down the phones, actually look at the road, and use the car controls. This technology does not make the roads safer - it makes it all less safe as people now pay way less attention since the car is doing it for them.

I travel for work and rent different cars every week. The first thing I do when getting into a rental car is find the buttons to turn off all the "assistance" crap.

Sadly, until a number of accidents occur and lawsuits and reports to the NHTSA are filed on the behavior of this auto start / stop function, Porsche likely won't do anything about it.
I thought wear is a concern when doing cold starts, auto start/stop happens when your engine is hot and I read that this will not be causing excess wear. I can be wrong.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

And yes, auto start stop is absolutely annoying, don't like seeing my car shaking when I try to stop. Heard on the new MB S class auto start stop is not really even noticeable.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
I thought wear is a concern when doing cold starts, auto start/stop happens when your engine is hot and I read that this will not be causing excess wear. I can be wrong.
Engine wear is worst when cold - true. Starter wear occurs on every start.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:01 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
Engine wear is worst when cold - true. Starter wear occurs on every start.
When my Panamera E-Hybrid is on long-distance road trips and I'm in Hybrid Auto mode, the car is constantly and seemlessly changing between the ICE being on and off; it's so good that you really don't hear much if any noise (and certainly don't sense, other than hear) the ICE turning on and off at high speeds. The ICE kicking in is really only noticeable, hearing wise, at lower speeds (below 30 or 40 mph). This will happen numerous (or even many) times a minute, for hours... No problems whatsoever, ten months into ownership and 18k miles on the odometer; my car computer says that over half my drive time over those 18k miles has been done with the ICE off.
I wonder if the starter is disengaged somehow for this technology?
Old 03-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cometguy
When my Panamera E-Hybrid is on long-distance road trips and I'm in Hybrid Auto mode, the car is constantly and seemlessly changing between the ICE being on and off; it's so good that you really don't hear much if any noise (and certainly don't sense, other than hear) the ICE turning on and off at high speeds. The ICE kicking in is really only noticeable, hearing wise, at lower speeds (below 30 or 40 mph). This will happen numerous (or even many) times a minute, for hours... No problems whatsoever, ten months into ownership and 18k miles on the odometer; my car computer says that over half my drive time over those 18k miles has been done with the ICE off.
I wouldn't expect a starter to fail on a traditional car for 100,000 miles or more With auto stop-start, it will be interesting to see if the industry trend has them failing much more frequently, like in the 25k-50k mile range. For those of us that buy cars with the expectation to keep them for essentially ever, ongoing service costs are much more important than to someone that does a 3-5 year lease and just takes it into the dealer for warranty work and gets a loaner during the process.

My 914 is 45 years old, my 928 40 years old, my 2 911s 14 years old, and my Cayenne 10 years old, and my pick-up 18 years old. Unfortunately, the technology is going to and has already changed the ownership model since everything is more electronic and less mechanical - that means much harder to work on in a home garage with normal tools, and needs complete module replacement or special diagnostic tools (PIWIS). There's already a noticeable difference in what I can do with a Durametric Pro in my 05 997s vs my 09 Cayenne. I don't have any plans to sell any of them - the kids will probably learn to drive in the old truck and then play around in the 914.

Our next purchase will probably be a Macan (Turbo or GTS), which is why I hang out here, as I like to see what I'll be getting into for a couple years before buying a specific model. So far, the Macan looks to be a decent vehicle as long as it's old enough not to have this latest iteration of the Stop / Start feature (LOL). Some PDK replacements, leaking valve covers, and broken valve cover studs, brake booster problem, and a few other things is what I've picked up on so far, but all in all, not too bad.

I wonder too if the hybrid technology does the restart underway non-traditionally. With the PDK transmission, in theory, they could just engage a gear, let out the clutch and use the momentum of the car to restart the motor, without it ever directly engaging the starter - in-fact it might need to work that way to avoid damage to the pinion gear on the starter (like if you try and start a car that's already running and hear the grinding noise). At a stop, it's a different scenario.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I think the Panamera hybrid still has the starter. But the new Cayenne Hybrid does not.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Macan auto-start/stop problems?