Strange Carfax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Strange Carfax?

Anyone else think this Carfax is a bit odd? Less than 500 miles in the last year?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AB2A57FLB66462
Old 03-14-2019, 10:36 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks to me like it went to auction last April, bounced around a couple dealers, and never found a new owner. Based on the build sheet it looks to a have no options other than 19" wheels and black window trim, maybe that's why?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:14 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

That is the most basic Macan in terms of options (or lack thereof) I believe I've ever seen. It is a bit strange that it spent the past year (almost) bouncing around a couple locations in the N CA area, but it probably just couldn't find a buyer. You did notice the valve cover gaskets were replaced, right?

For a used Macan S that basic, that's been sitting unsold for nearly a year now, you should be able to score a killer price on that one (if that's the vehicle for you).
Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, saw the valve cover gaskets were replaced. Is this a known issue on the Macan's or do you think just because the car has been sitting so much? It looks like the place selling the car now replaced the gaskets which seemed odd as I would think this would be something covered by Porsche's warranty, which has now expired. Also looks like when it was bouncing between the Audi dealer and Carlsen the sent it to a tire shop for a bunch of work instead of doing it at the dealer.

The price is a little under 37k, nonnegotiable. Any warranty would be aftermarket. Good deal? Scary thing would be what if you want to sell it later, seem like it would be hard to sell...

Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:31 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

It actually looks good. I'm not sure about Billy-Bob's Firestone store needing to replace pads AND rotors all around. Valve and timing chain cover leaks seem to be pretty frequent with the Macans. That was fixed. Again, looks okay but not knowing the options on the Macan and what they're asking I can't say more.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Very few options on the thing, and at $35,500, 24,500 miles, it could be a good value. Cargurus IMV has it at $43K, with private at $41K; Carfax Value places it at around the same price. It's $5K - $8K under market, and very close to trade-in estimates. Not a bad deal, considering the valve and timing cover gasket has been replaced.

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AB2A57FLB66462/

EDIT: gotta love the Shift service fee that tacks on an added $1,250.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Uda880
EDIT: gotta love the Shift service fee that tacks on an added $1,250.
Well they drive it to your house for you to check out for that fee. So I just figure the price is about 37k with that fee.

Another thing that is a bit odd is they don't let you do a PPI. You would have to buy the car, do a PPI then if you find an issue you can return it which seems like a pain.

Registration is also expired but they say they will take care of that.

Over all seems like it could be a good deal but a lot of little catches involved...
Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Over all seems like it could be a good deal but a lot of little catches involved...
As long as the lack of options are okay with you, and the lack of pre-purchase PPI doesn't bug you too much, it could be the vehicle for you. Price seems acceptable, assuming the vehicle is in otherwise excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition. You're not going to find a CPO at that price.

Just remember though.....two (2) options.....it has only two.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

I've personally never driven a low-option Macan, or a base for that matter. Since everyone here harps on options all the time, I've always assumed it to be incredibly important. Fair price though.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:45 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Well they drive it to your house for you to check out for that fee. So I just figure the price is about 37k with that fee.

Another thing that is a bit odd is they don't let you do a PPI. You would have to buy the car, do a PPI then if you find an issue you can return it which seems like a pain.

Keep in mind good deal and cheap are not the same thing. Sale price is "cheap", but only because that's what it's worth. If it was a "deal", it would have sold quickly and not sat for 10 months.

Speaks volumes about the desirability of a low option, non-cpo car.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:05 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Uda880
I've personally never driven a low-option Macan, or a base for that matter. Since everyone here harps on options all the time, I've always assumed it to be incredibly important. Fair price though.
In the world of Porsche, many would tell you that options are everything.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Heh, I figured. Spent a 1.5 years looking for the right 997, and just recently spent a month looking for the right Macan Turbo. That's why I'm more focused on the Trade-In estimates for this low-optioned example for OP. Gonna be hard to sell privately later.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smohr33
Keep in mind good deal and cheap are not the same thing. Sale price is "cheap", but only because that's what it's worth. If it was a "deal", it would have sold quickly and not sat for 10 months.

Speaks volumes about the desirability of a low option, non-cpo car.
Agree
Old 03-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
It's the rare Macan S track stripper.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

No PPI allowed?

As people in MA would say, :fuggedaboudit!!!"

Or, as in Monty Python's movie, the Holy Grail, after encountering Fierce Rabbit, "RUN AWAY!!!"

Quick Reply: Strange Carfax?