Macan 2014-Current

Wife wants to be a Porschephile too

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Wife wants to be a Porschephile too

So it's finally come to this. Wife would like to replace her Mercedes C250. Would like to buy CPO (avoid depreciation and have warranty) or recent model. Originally narrowed down to three models (GLC 43 AMG, Macan S, or Model S), but currently debating between two - and after last night, heavily leaning towards the Macan. She's been staring and influenced by my 911 in the garage, and wants a matching car. Which would you pick? Macan S, Model S P85D/P90D, or the budget option - Model S 70?

Had some earlier discussion and here are some answers to common ponderings.
  • Why not a Turbo? Trying to keep it under $50K. Most turbos at this range are out of warranty. Just had a chat with SAs, and there are a few issues I'm wary of (namely transfer case and timing chain cover)
  • Why not a GTS? Is it worth the $10K+ price difference though? I've been scouring macanforums for the last week, and all information points to better driving dynamics. But here's the kicker. I'm still keeping my lowered, GT2 seat, sport chrono + PASM packaged 911. She's basically talked me off of the GTS ledge by making me notice that we have an actual sports car next to us.
  • Why a Tesla? Rational for the Tesla is that I figured it has the performance that she'll ever need, enough room for a future baby seat, and we have a commercial charging port in our building that charges to full in two hours (at $1/hr).
We're currently looking at fairly optioned up '16 Macan S's for $45K - $50K (MSRP ~$70K).
  • Is that a good price range?
  • Are '15s good choice with the two-year CPO warranty?
Would love to hear your opinions on the matter! Thanks for the help!
Old 03-05-2019, 06:40 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

GTS - big brakes cost more to replace.
I have the S, and happy with the brakes. GTS/Turbo Parts are just that 50% more expensive.
Tesla- buy or rent?
You buy a car, you rent an appliance.
I do believe battery technology is going to increase many fold over the next few years.
What will be the value of a Tesla, When a 2022 battery car does 5oo+ miles on a charge?

I bought a CPO Macan S. It has current and future value, to anyone, anywhere.
California and LA are very Tesla friendly. But not every state is EV ready.
Almost half of new model 3's are registered in California. How will that reflect your resale in 36 months.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-3s-registered
Old 03-05-2019, 07:06 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I can’t speak to the other options, but have had my Macan S for a little over 3 years and put 40k miles on it. It is not the best car I’ve ever owned in the snow (even winter tires on smaller wheels are really wide!!) but that is the only mild negative I can say about it. It has been a fantastic car to gobble up the miles in and has been very reliable.

I had some mild track time in a GTS and could definitely notice the difference between my S and that in that specific context. On the street, I’d agree that cosmetically, the GTS looks better (to me at least), but otherwise, I don’t think you’d be missing anything with an S.

As mine creeps towards 50k, I’d originally been thinking about replacing it with something non-P as the maintenance costs are annoying as it stands. Out of warranty, I don’t think I’d want my daily to run that risk personally. I bought this one new, but might start looking at CPO options to replace it as I don’t see anything else non-P that I would really like.

Point being, I think you’d both be really happy with a Macan in the family (even the base is plenty of fun on public roads).
Old 03-05-2019, 11:43 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

I have an Audi RS5 and a Subaru STi as well and never considered any trim other than the GTS. The key standard options of PASM and air suspension along with the more aggressive aesthetics of the GTS had everything I wanted. Of course your wants may be entirely different. You being in Los Angeles, I would presume the cost of fuel is a factor and hence the Tesla considerations. I can tell you that the V6 Macans are not fuel sippers.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Love the Macan S so much, we have two.

Still have the 981 Spyder and the Tundra.

Satisfaction achieved. (spent too long getting none)
Old 03-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

I have owned a Macan S and now own a GTS. There is a definate difference betwen the two. The GTS is quicker, the suspension dynamics are very noticable and the sound of the GTS is substantially more aggressive.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:37 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

The GTS is quicker, the suspension dynamics are very noticeable and the sound of the GTS is substantially more aggressive.
You get bigger brakes and that will help on the track, but this is a daily driver...

H&R Springs (1.5" drop)
Fabspeed exhaust (loud pipes save lives) - obviously obnoxious

Last edited by blacksheepSpyder; 03-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
You get bigger brakes and that will help on the track, but this is a daily driver...

Cobb Tune
H&R Springs (1.5" drop)
Fabspeed exhaust (loud pipes save lives) - obviously obnoxious

0-60 now 4.1 sub 12 quarter, Too loud for nice people, under $4k if you do the exhaust and tune yourself but pay someone to mount the springs and alignment

and completely void your warranty.....
Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I just bought a 16 CPO Macan S, $68k build with around 40k, for $40xxx. Bought it sight unseen after having a family member close to it check it out for me. It had been at Braman since October and I have no idea why other than it was overpriced at first at $51k. It is immmaculate for the age/miles. It has the options I was looking for and I knew after an extensive search that the couple other I wanted (PSE and alcantara seats) were almost non-existent in anything but Turbo and GTS. I found the GTS premium to be much more than $10k and I will be putting 100+k on this so I stayed with the S.

The 15s are generally cheaper but they have less remaining warranty. If you can stretch to a 17 you will get the newer PCM.

I know zero about MBs and have no interest in a Tesla so I can’t help you there. Enjoy the search.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

and completely void your warranty.....

'07 Tundra

Last edited by blacksheepSpyder; 03-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

LOL. I completely understand. My wife liked my Sapphire Blue 991tt so much she got a Macan in the same color! If you're going to go with a gasoline engine, get the Macan over the Mercedes. Rides and handles better. Tesla is an apples to oranges comparison. I would only lease, not buy one, since the EV market is relatively young and there will be a lot of advances over the next few years. Also, the Taycan is coming.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Not here in the USA.
PCA member since 1993 here.
This isn't my first Porsche... and yes I always have done my own work... and no I don't get voided warranties, because in America we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

But then in Canada you can't even own a gun, so why would you hot rod a car?

'07 Tundra
*nodding slow clap*
Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts

Not here in the USA.
PCA member since 1993 here.
This isn't my first Porsche... and yes I always have done my own work... and no I don't get voided warranties, because in America we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

But then in Canada you can't even own a gun, so why would you hot rod a car?

'07 Tundra

We have just as many guns per capita in Canada as good ol' Merica....Just saying.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice and the commentary guys! We've definitely settled on a Macan, but now the hunt for the right one has been dragging on. Been on numerous sites, looking at CPO and comparing build sheets, so much that I've started seeing them in my dreams. Found a really nice Black on Black with Sport Classic Wheels, PASM, etc. for ~$49K (44K miles), but missed it by a few hours. Now the wife's obsessed with that color scheme, and I can't even get her to look at White or Grays anymore.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Random ask, but would any of you gents be in the Chicago/Orland Park area that can check out a car for me?

Quick Reply: Wife wants to be a Porschephile too