Macan 2014-Current

Macan S Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Macan S Battery Replacement

I tried doing a search on this topic, but was unable to find an answer. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has actually replaced their Macan's original battery other than at a Porsche dealership. The OE Porsche battery is a Varta AGM 12V 92Ah 520A DIN. I have seen what I think are exorbitant charges for replacement at Porsche dealerships. Contrary to what some are saying, I believe that AGM batteries, being completely sealed and presenting little or no hazard of acid spills, may be shipped. Sunset Porsche seems to have about the lowest price I have seen at $331.

Varta does not seem to sell batteries in North America other than through dealerships. So, following a little research, I think I found another possible source for our batteries. Interstate sells an MTX-49H8 that is AGM and seems to be a direct replacement for our Varta batteries except that it is rated at 95Ah instead of the Varta's 92Ah, a minor difference. The case dimensions are identical. The price at my local Interstate shop is $203, a substantially less amount than the dealership prices. They have them in stock.

So, here is a potential problem: viewing YouTube videos of Varta installations, the hangup may be in "registering" a non-Varta battery. The registration appears to be done using the Porsche PIWIS unit and requires inputing a serial number from the new battery to complete the process.

Anyone have any experience or learned advice about this?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-28-2023)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GelberPfeil
I tried doing a search on this topic, but was unable to find an answer. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has actually replaced their Macan's original battery other than at a Porsche dealership. The OE Porsche battery is a Varta AGM 12V 92Ah 520A DIN. I have seen what I think are exorbitant charges for replacement at Porsche dealerships. Contrary to what some are saying, I believe that AGM batteries, being completely sealed and presenting little or no hazard of acid spills, may be shipped. Sunset Porsche seems to have about the lowest price I have seen at $331.

Varta does not seem to sell batteries in North America other than through dealerships. So, following a little research, I think I found another possible source for our batteries. Interstate sells an MTX-49H8 that is AGM and seems to be a direct replacement for our Varta batteries except that it is rated at 95Ah instead of the Varta's 92Ah, a minor difference. The case dimensions are identical. The price at my local Interstate shop is $203, a substantially less amount than the dealership prices. They have them in stock.

So, here is a potential problem: viewing YouTube videos of Varta installations, the hangup may be in "registering" a non-Varta battery. The registration appears to be done using the Porsche PIWIS unit and requires inputing a serial number from the new battery to complete the process.

Anyone have any experience or learned advice about this?
Read the 87 posts here and watch the video in post #49. Any of the H8 size AGM batteries (Interstate, Bosch, etc.) will work - registration seems to be the issue.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/ele...battery-5.html
Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Read the 87 posts here and watch the video in post #49. Any of the H8 size AGM batteries (Interstate, Bosch, etc.) will work - registration seems to be the issue.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/ele...battery-5.html
Thanks. Yes, I have read that entire thread over at the MacanForum, but it does not really answer the heart of my question, which is: is it possible to register a non-Varta battery in a Macan by any means?

Last edited by GelberPfeil; 02-18-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 02-18-2019, 05:43 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I work at an Audi dealership, and we use Interstate batteries for replacement purposes. You still have to go through the registration process as these cars have energy management systems that tell the car how old the battery is, and the correct amp hours. There is a small white tag on the battery that has all this information, as well as a serial number. My guess is that the older the battery is, the system will put out more voltage to keep the battery fully charged. There are some scanners you can buy that will not only reset your service intervals, retract your rear caliper pistons, but also allow you to register the battery. Do your homework. I have a scanner for VW/Audi from iCarsoft that works well on my daughters's Audi.

For Porsche:
https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-3...t_P700_V2.html

Last edited by rosen39; 02-18-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosen39
I work at an Audi dealership, and we use Interstate batteries for replacement purposes. You still have to go through the registration process as these cars have energy management systems that tell the car how old the battery is, and the correct amp hours. There is a small white tag on the battery that has all this information, as well as a serial number. My guess is that the older the battery is, the system will put out more voltage to keep the battery fully charged. There are some scanners you can buy that will not only reset your service intervals, retract your rear caliper pistons, but also allow you to register the battery. Do your homework. I have a scanner for VW/Audi from iCarsoft that works well on my daughters's Audi.
Thanks rosen39. This is the information I was looking for. If I understand you correctly, you can register an Interstate battery by entering the info from the battery's white tag and the serial number does not have to be exclusively one from a Varta product. That is the way it is on BMWs, too. Please let me know if I have misinterpreted what you said. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Watch this video.

There is a BEM sticker on the battery with the info you will need to register the battery.

If in doubt, go to an Interstate dealer and look for the sticker on the battery he has in inventory
Old 02-18-2019, 06:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

For Porsche:
https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-3...t_P700_V2.html
Thanks for the icarsoft link. I see reference in the product info to Cayenne , do you know if it works with the Macan?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 PM
rosen39
Advanced

You can e-mail iCarsoft and ask the question. They may take a day or two to get back to you (from my experience). Once you find the model scanner you want, do a search and you will find dealers on Amazon that are less money than buying directly from iCarsoft. There are several other brand scanners out there that probably have the same features. To do software updates, you do need a Windows computer. The process is not very smooth, but after a while, you will figure it out.

Last edited by rosen39; 02-18-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: More information
Old 02-18-2019, 06:19 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

You can e-mail iCarsoft and ask the question. They may take a day or two to get back to you (from my experience). Once you find the model scanner you want, do a search and you will find dealers on Amazon that are less money than buying directly from iCarsoft. There are several other brand scanners out there that probably have the same features.
I just emailed the info manager at iCarsoftUS and asked the same question. If/when I get a response, I will post it here.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

I just emailed the info manager at iCarsoftUS and asked the same question. If/when I get a response, I will post it here.
Followup: You do not need to have access to the PIWIS (very expensive) as there are less expensive scanners available that claim to be able to register a Porsche battery, retract the electric rear brakes for service, reset the oil service light, etc. One of these scanners that was recommended to me is the iCarsoft POR V2.0 (https://www.icarsoft.us/Product/s-31...ft_POR_V2.html). Their tech rep assures me by email that it will work with all Porsches, including our Macans. The listed price is $260, but I just purchased a new one on ebay for $147. Maybe not a bad investment in the long run. We shall see after it arrives and I have time to try it.

(Note: I have no business relationship with this product.)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Followup: You do not need to have access to the PIWIS (very expensive) as there are less expensive scanners available that claim to be able to register a Porsche battery, retract the electric rear brakes for service, reset the oil service light, etc. One of these scanners that was recommended to me is the iCarsoft POR V2.0 (https://www.icarsoft.us/Product/s-31...ft_POR_V2.html). Their tech rep assures me by email that it will work with all Porsches, including our Macans. The listed price is $260, but I just purchased a new one on ebay for $147. Maybe not a bad investment in the long run. We shall see after it arrives and I have time to try it.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts

Along the same line, I've been trying to determine if, after installing a new battery, is the vehicle driveable w/o initially coding? Say you're in East Awfulgosh, Nowhere and your battery craps out. There's an auto parts store that has an H8 battery but a Porsche dealer is hundreds of miles away. Will the Macan start...or will it "demand" that you register the battery first?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Along the same line, I've been trying to determine if, after installing a new battery, is the vehicle driveable w/o initially coding? Say you're in East Awfulgosh, Nowhere and your battery craps out. There's an auto parts store that has an H8 battery but a Porsche dealer is hundreds of miles away. Will the Macan start...or will it "demand" that you register the battery first?
It will make no demands. I believe that it will run just fine and do no damage if you drive it only a reasonable distance/time before registering the new battery. I base this on what I experienced when I changed the AGM battery on my wife's 3-series BMW. Drove it for a few days before taking it to our trusted indy shop for registration of the battery. The BMW and Porsche systems seem to be very similar.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:02 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Any follow-up on if the iCarSoft unit? Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 05:09 PM
jcdeng
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know how much dealerships charge for switching out a battery and coding it? Lets say if you bring your own new battery to them.

Quick Reply: Macan S Battery Replacement