Macan 2014-Current

Macan S Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 03:25 AM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

TL DR; Aircooled>Watercooled

Visiting family for the holiday. Woke up to a car alarm. Went outside locked and loaded, and family member's 2016 Macan S alarm was going off. Got the keys and could not shut it off, nor unlock the car. Eventually it stopped after waking up the whole street. Found the "hidden key' after watching the youtubes and car had no lights. Read that at some point in the past 10 years Porsche thought it would be a good idea to alarm the car when the battery dies, because that makes sense?

Go to look up battery information for replacement, and find out I have to "recode" the battery. As an engineer I can confidently say there are 10000 better ways to to this than what Porsche decided to implement, which is clearly a shameless ploy to get one to go to the stealership.

Obviously my Durametric says it only supports 2014-2015 Macan, so looks like I need another software tool.

/Rant

Old 01-03-2022, 12:49 PM
Mike VZ
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I purchased an Autel unit from FCP european parts, worked fine on mine. I bought a duralast battery from Autozone, used the Porsche part number for the battery and added zero's in front of the serial number on the battery to get the correct number of digits. Works fine. You can use the Autel on other makes as well. Cost a bit more but seemed to work fine. Next project is replacing the brakes on the Macan, hope it works as well on the brake release, although I don't see any reason why it would not. Good luck.
See my earlier post
Old 01-04-2022, 12:04 PM
wbferran
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What about the battery memory unit that is referenced, to save settings prior to disconnecting the old battery? How does that work and where can I get one? Thx
Old 01-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Mike VZ
7th Gear

I did not have any issues with the memory, I just removed the old battery, installed the new and programmed it like I mentioned earlier. All the memory stayed the same including our homelink buttons for our gates. The only thing I had an issue with was the rear hatch. I had to close it manually but once I did that it worked fine. On the Autel unit, it specifically directs you to add XX amount of digits for the stock number and serial #. I think it is nine and thirteen. I winged it and added zero's in front of the numbers to come up with the correct total, no issues. I will say I was a bit apprehensive through the process and luckily the original battery was still good but since ours is a '15 from the first bunch to hit the US I did not want to leave my wife stranded somewhere and have to be towed home. All good now, it has been about 4-5 weeks since I replaced it, no issues whatsoever. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:11 PM
wbferran
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike VZ
I did not have any issues with the memory, I just removed the old battery, installed the new and programmed it like I mentioned earlier. All the memory stayed the same including our homelink buttons for our gates. The only thing I had an issue with was the rear hatch. I had to close it manually but once I did that it worked fine. On the Autel unit, it specifically directs you to add XX amount of digits for the stock number and serial #. I think it is nine and thirteen. I winged it and added zero's in front of the numbers to come up with the correct total, no issues. I will say I was a bit apprehensive through the process and luckily the original battery was still good but since ours is a '15 from the first bunch to hit the US I did not want to leave my wife stranded somewhere and have to be towed home. All good now, it has been about 4-5 weeks since I replaced it, no issues whatsoever. Good luck.
thx. Some of the videos made it sound like you would lose everything if you disconnect the battery without some kind of back up connection

On another note - how long will the battery last? I bought my 2017 in July of last year and I assume it is the original battery. Thx
Old 01-04-2022, 02:49 PM
Mike VZ
7th Gear

As I recall we purchased our Macan S late 2014, 2015 model. It was still taking a charge a couple of months back. I looked up glass mat batteries and their life depends a lot on weather and useage. We live in San Diego and the Macan only has 40k miles on it. Pretty much my wifes shopping car. We do not use the auto stop-start, which from what I read will lessen the battery life. Honestly, I was very suprised that the battery lasted this long, but like I mentioned earlier, did not want my wife to get stranded somewhere. Five years seems to be the time frame in general. If you have a good charger I would suggest connecting it and see if it will take a full charge. If it does I would not worry about it for awhile. Maybe charge it every 6 months and once it quits taking a full charge I would replace it then. I had not seen any video's stating the memory would be impacted by the replacement. The battery in my pickup went out early this year and I had to call AAA. They replaced it while the engine was running, which honestly I had never seen done before but no reason that would not work. The downside of trying that in the Macan is the lack of space, and my thought is if you let the ungrounded lead touch a grounded part which would be easy to do, it could toast your computer. Or I would think it could. No problem though when I did mine.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:30 PM
csrou
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that from 2018, software for battery coding was changed. It could explain why it is harder to find the tool to properly code the most recent batteries.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:38 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,325 Posts

No I don't think has,what's gotten more difficult is finding analyzers that support newer models (i.e. past 2018).

siberian
Old 03-06-2022, 03:02 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

This is just me being me so take these words for what they’re worth…

My background: I was a car tech for many years and to this day do not take my vehicles anywhere unless in need tires.

Alternators have a fancy thing called a voltage regulator. This device senses when voltage drops below a set parameter. Once the voltage gets too low, the alternator charges the battery at around 14.5 volts until charged, then stops charging once the battery is charged. I’ve verified this with my trusty volt meter on the Macan.

At any rate, and you can take this for what it’s worth, there’s absolutely no reason to “register” a battery with the vehicle, period, end of story!!!
Seriously, what’s next? Tires, lol.

Use whatever equivalent battery you chose and be done with it! I used a Duracell Ultra Platinum Group 49 AGM which is a direct replacement for the H8. Made the swap in the parking lot.

All settings remained the same. I just got in and drove away.

If my battery sees less life by any margin I’ll be very surprised so my challenge is, prove it! There’s absolutely no way in the world to do that.

My .02

Derek
The following 3 users liked this post by NoSubstitute981:
boxhead (07-20-2023), hammergjh (06-13-2022), rennlistlennon (09-22-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:20 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Life is too short. It's been covered n million times as has the fact that the Earth is not flat, Elvis is not working a LAX and Anna Nicole did not marry for love. YMMV

siberian
Old 03-06-2022, 03:26 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Wait! The earth isn’t flat?

Old 03-06-2022, 03:28 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

siberian
Old 03-06-2022, 03:55 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
This is just me being me so take these words for what they’re worth…

My background: I was a car tech for many years and to this day do not take my vehicles anywhere unless in need tires.

Alternators have a fancy thing called a voltage regulator. This device senses when voltage drops below a set parameter. Once the voltage gets too low, the alternator charges the battery at around 14.5 volts until charged, then stops charging once the battery is charged. I’ve verified this with my trusty volt meter on the Macan.

At any rate, and you can take this for what it’s worth, there’s absolutely no reason to “register” a battery with the vehicle, period, end of story!!!
Seriously, what’s next? Tires, lol.

Use whatever equivalent battery you chose and be done with it! I used a Duracell Ultra Platinum Group 49 AGM which is a direct replacement for the H8. Made the swap in the parking lot.

All settings remained the same. I just got in and drove away.

If my battery sees less life by any margin I’ll be very surprised so my challenge is, prove it! There’s absolutely no way in the world to do that.

My .02

Derek
Hi Derek,
Sounds like you are doing a real, evidence-based empirical experiment. Please keep us informed of your experience. For my part, I have always been replacing my auto batteries at five years, even if they show no evidence of going bad. I've done this since long before we had AGMs or to deal with battery "registration". I'm just trying to avoid a surprise failure while out visiting Podunk.
Best regards, Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by GelberPfeil:
MrMarco (03-11-2022), T3X4S (03-11-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 09:30 AM
hazellp
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Using iCarsoft POR V2.0

Just successfully registered new battery in '17 Macan S using iCarsoft POR V2.0 (with updated V11.50 software recently downloaded from site). Battery: Costco/Interstate H8(49) 900 CCA 95Ah
After at least a dozen unsuccessful attempts using the Varta model and serial #'s, I always received the message “Can not receive correct responses from vehicle”. I emailed iCarsoft and received no response.
Finally I read on a forum that if you select "911" instead of "Macan" when selecting the vehicle model it will work, and it did. The registration was accepted. Special shoutout to the kind person who posted this information for us all to benefit from.

I selected 911 as vehicle model (not Macan)
I selected AGM as battery type
I entered 95 Ah
I entered the 15-digit serial # from the original VARTA battery (beginning with 205 and including the blank space after 205). I used 205 JCB2G4S1VNK.
I entered an 11-digit model #. I used the factory 11-digit part number 95861109221, but any 11 digits will do, including the model # from the original Varta battery (xxx.xxx.xxx)
The registration was accepted. I scanned for codes across all functions. No faults detected.

The following 3 users liked this post by hazellp:
divil (05-28-2022), dppaki (05-30-2022), Kurvenflitzer (08-03-2023)
Old 06-12-2022, 06:24 PM
hazellp
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hazellp
Just successfully registered new battery in '17 Macan S using iCarsoft POR V2.0 (with updated V11.50 software recently downloaded from site). Battery: Costco/Interstate H8(49) 900 CCA 95Ah
After at least a dozen unsuccessful attempts using the Varta model and serial #'s, I always received the message “Can not receive correct responses from vehicle”. I emailed iCarsoft and received no response.
Finally I read on a forum that if you select "911" instead of "Macan" when selecting the vehicle model it will work, and it did. The registration was accepted. Special shoutout to the kind person who posted this information for us all to benefit from.

I selected 911 as vehicle model (not Macan)
I selected AGM as battery type
I entered 95 Ah
I entered the 15-digit serial # from the original VARTA battery (beginning with 205 and including the blank space after 205). I used 205 JCB2G4S1VNK.
I entered an 11-digit model #. I used the factory 11-digit part number 95861109221, but any 11 digits will do, including the model # from the original Varta battery (xxx.xxx.xxx)
The registration was accepted. I scanned for codes across all functions. No faults detected.
I failed to mention that after having successfully registered the battery my rear hatch would not close electronically... with either the close button on hatch or the open/close switch on driver's door...even though I had the battery charger connected while I replaced the battery. This is the only anomaly I experienced. I resolved by manually closing the hatch (gently pressed down on hatch until closed and latched). Then I used my remote to lock and unlock vehicle. Then I opened and closed the hatch as I would normally, and all worked just fine.

Last edited by hazellp; 06-12-2022 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hammergjh (06-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Macan S Battery Replacement