MACAN GTS jack BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:43 AM
nicobel
Puff Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MACAN GTS jack BAD!

I had a flat last week driving in "the middle of nowhere" ...so, no problem, I think.
I proceed to pull the included jack in my Macan GTS (I guess is a GTS problem?) , place the thing under the plastic jack point and started cranking ...only to realize the jack was hitting the rocker panel, no matter at which angle, I tied the "safest" angle and when I realized it was too late, the jack broke the rocker panel, and put a bad dent in my truck. ...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Obviously, the jack that come with the truck is not designed for it. I am planning on having a nice discussion with the guys at the dealer. IMO, Porsche should cover the damages ...is this a futile enterprise?

I appreciate your opinions.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:21 PM
machschnell_RS
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

The plastic jacking point on the front drivers side broke on my GTS also while using a floor jack and hockey puck to install winter tires last fall. The jack also impacted the rocker panel when it broke, but it didn't break the rocker panel.
I'm going to address with the dealer when I take the car in for it's first oil change.
I think its a poor design. Keep us posted how it goes.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nicobel
I had a flat last week driving in "the middle of nowhere" ...so, no problem, I think.
I proceed to pull the included jack in my Macan GTS (I guess is a GTS problem?) , place the thing under the plastic jack point and started cranking ...only to realize the jack was hitting the rocker panel, no matter at which angle, I tied the "safest" angle and when I realized it was too late, the jack broke the rocker panel, and put a bad dent in my truck. ...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Obviously, the jack that come with the truck is not designed for it. I am planning on having a nice discussion with the guys at the dealer. IMO, Porsche should cover the damages ...is this a futile enterprise?

I appreciate your opinions.
I've not tried to jack the car yet but your post makes me think I need to look at the jack and try it. Doesn't the jack head fit into the jacking point? At least that's what the owner's manual shows. I better look at it.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:14 PM
nicoyenny
3rd Gear

No it doesn't. Don't use the supplied jack, give it a fit try and you will see what I mean. The jacking point is dead in the center of the plastic piece ... bummer .
In fact, I don't even think a "normal" floor jack would work
Old 01-28-2019, 05:14 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you sure you seated the head of the jack into the slot properly? I've used the included jack on the side of I-10 to change a tire in my '15 Turbo and didn't damage anything doing it. The included pump was slow to fill up the collapsible spare but all the tools worked and the spare got me where I was going. I just wish I'd included a bag for the dirty wheel and some gloves to keep the grime from getting all over the steering wheel.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 PM
nicoyenny
3rd Gear

I think the side moldings are different from Turbo to GTS ... (?) no matter how I place the jack, it will hit against the side panel ...
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

As I recall, the GTS also has the air suspension as standard. Are you putting the suspension into service mode first? I think that raises the car to its highest level as well as disabling the self-leveling function. I ask because I remember the jack having a lever arm and if the car is too low I can see it interfering with the side panel as you describe before it can begin lifting the car.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
As I recall, the GTS also has the air suspension as standard. Are you putting the suspension into service mode first? I think that raises the car to its highest level as well as disabling the self-leveling function. I ask because I remember the jack having a lever arm and if the car is too low I can see it interfering with the side panel as you describe before it can begin lifting the car.
Interesting point. I have a GTS and didn't know there was a suspension setting mode. I'll have to take a look. FWIW, I've jacked up the Macan with a floor jack but used a hockey puck that I modified by cutting the sides down to expose a raised section that fits inside the lifting point cup and presses on the chassis and not the plastic sides of the cup. It works perfectly. I think there are "professional" versions of these you can buy now, but free is always good.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts

The jack itself is a poor design, dangerous and can slip at the most inopportune moment, causing rocker panel damage. Never expose your body parts under the vehicle when using this jack. Always jack on level ground, chock the diagonally opposite wheel.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
The jack itself is a poor design, dangerous and can slip at the most inopportune moment, causing rocker panel damage. Never expose your body parts under the vehicle when using this jack. Always jack on level ground, chock the diagonally opposite wheel.
Agree, and I think it's worth mentioning that this applies to most OEM-supplied jacks unfortunately.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I found this in the online Macan Owner's Manual (note the section on the leveling system):
Raising vehicle with the jack

Jacking HazardsIf the vehicle is not secured, or incorrectly secured, during a wheel change, it could move unexpectedly or fall from the car jack.
  • Make sure that no one is in the vehicle when jacking up and changing a wheel.
  • Lift the vehicle only at the specified jacking points on the vehicle floor.
  • Never jack up the vehicle when it is parked on a surface that slopes up, down or to the side.
  • Only use the jack to raise the vehicle for changing a wheel.
  • Always place the vehicle on solid supports if work has to be carried out under the vehicle.
The car jack is not suitable for this.

Switching Off Leveling System
Whenever it is necessary to raise the vehicle using the jack:
  • Manually set normal level and then switch off the leveling system.
Please see the chapter “SWITCHING THE LEVELING SYSTEM ON AND OFF” on page 221.

Danger of injury and damage if the vehicle is not secured.

The vehicle could roll away.

Secure the vehicle against rolling. To do this:
Please see the chapter "SECURING THE VEHICLE AGAINST ROLLING" on page 305.

The following users liked this post:
TJA1 (12-27-2020)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a Macan S and now a GTS. I've jacked both with a hydraulic floor jack (raising single point only), and with a scissor lift (I have one in my garage). As was mentioned above, it's critical with these jack points to center the jack properly on it - anywhere off center and you risk slippage, or worse. I ALWAYS use a hockey puck to widen the contact surface for that reason. I also put my GTS into 'service mode' when using the floor jack (didn't even know about it yet when I used the scissor lift but it mattered less since the car was lifted evenly across all jack points). I am always very sensitive when lifting my cars.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 AM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
I am always very sensitive when lifting my cars.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

On my Cayenne widebody conversion, the factory jack no longer works because of the rocker panels.

Because it's our family vacation car, we need to have a working jack when we go on a trip, just in case. I picked up one of these kits from Amazon this week and will throw it in the back when we take trips with it - around town I don't worry about it as I can call AAA or put it on a flatbed and bring it home. It's rated for a 5 ton vehicle, which should lift one side or corner of a 2.5 ton vehicle just fine.

KINGCAV Electric Hydraulic Car Jack with Impact Wrench, 5 Ton Floor Jack, 4 Functions Tire Repalce Car Lift Jack with Compressor Inflator Pump, LED Flashlight,Tire Gauge

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Petza914; 02-07-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

I brought my Macan GTS home in November and put it on my lift to put in winter tires. Didn’t have any issue whatsoever lifting it on the factory lift points.

I wasnt aware that I could shut off the level control now I know how.

Quick Reply: MACAN GTS jack BAD!