Notices
Macan 2014-Current

First Time Porsche Owner - Finally!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:01 AM
Stack24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Porsche Owner - Finally!

So I have been a Porsche fan all my life and almost pulled the trigger on a used 911 back in 2010 when I was just married but it didn't work out. Fast forward about 9 years and 2 kids later my E39 M5 got totaled and the search was on for a Macan after reading a lot of the reviews and our needs. It started out as a base then turned into a GTS search really quickly and upping my budget to the edge. The Cayenne would have been bigger and my wife has never driven and SUV and when she test drove it didn't like it as much as the Macan in terms of how it feels. After numerous different cars found, contacting, and watching the pricing learning the build options I figured out the stuff I wanted to have at least.

To make a long story short, I eventually found one that was priced right and had a lot of the features I wanted and was very clean but of all places at CarMax. I was a bit skeptical but after reading more and more threads here and other places it gave me a bit more ease that others have bought there. This was the first time I have ever bought there so I was cautious. The process was very easy and as we all know they didn't budge on the price and I had already paid a $600 fee to have it transferred from California to Texas so I was a bit invested already. The car finally arrived last week but I was out of the country so it sat there until yesterday when I had a chance to go there and take a look at it. The car was pretty much pristine, no scratches, dings, paintwork of any kind. I was pleased to see that it had clear bra already installed in the door cups, door edges, and the rear fender where things could splash back. It really looked like a new car and well taken care of. It had only 13K miles on the odometer.

We finished up the paperwork and that was it, she was ours and I absolutely loved the initial feeling I got driving my first Porsche. I did end up purchasing the MaxCare warranty after reading a lot of decent reviews (and bad reviews like every other warranty place has) The reason I felt a bit more inclined to buy it was when I looked at the actual paperwork with the details of the exclusionary warranty it was actually a Fidelity warranty which was a couple grand cheaper than when I talked to other Fidelity agents. This was the same Platinum one that I priced out.

Anyways got home and the next morning I noticed something that I must have missed in my haste which I really never do and I felt stupid. The drivers side bolster had some scratches and showed wear that I didn't see in any picture (you can see a bit of it in my interior picture). After double checking the pictures I noticed that picture was a bit blurry but you could see the damage but would not have noticed if you didn't know that it was there.

So I called up my sales guy and told him the situation and he told me to stop by. I drive up there tell them my concerns with the GM of the dealership who assured me they didn't try to deceive or anything like that but I made it known that it was a problem for me. I told them I understand it's a used car, but I would have liked to have been told and after all the inspections you guys did you missed it. In all honesty it's something that I knew would happen eventually with me getting in and out of it and the sport seats but since I wasn't aware I might as well try to do something about it.

So the GM said that they would be willing to have their leather repair company come out and fix the area and then I can inspect it and if I am okay with it then all good.If not then I have the option of invoking the 7 day return policy that CarMax gives you which is great. I agreed that would be okay but did ask if there is anything more they could do for the inconvenience of me coming back to get it worked on. I asked if they would refund the $600 for shipping and he agreed that would be fair. So that was a little bonus that made me a bit happier.

So needless to say I have so far been happy with the customer service that I have received from there. I guess that return policy makes the more open to fixing any issues instead of losing a sale as compared to other dealerships that say "oh well you drove it off the lot".

Thank you very much for all the info on this board and MacanForum where I lurked for a long time till I learned enough to make the right choices.

TLDR

After much lust I am a Porsche Owner with a Macan GTS. Thanks to everyone who has posted in here.

OPTIONS

White
Porsche Entry & Drive
Piano Black Interior Package
SportDesign Side Mirrors
Side Blades in Exterior Color
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
Code for Instrument Dials in Carmine Red
Lane Departure Warning (LDW) with Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Smoking Package
Bose Surround Sound System
Leather Interior in Black with Alcantara i.c.w. GTS Interior Package (stitching in Carmine Red)
Code for Seat Belts in Carmine Red
Summer Tires for 20" Alloy Wheels
Connect Plus
Premium Package Plus
Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM

Here are a few pictures of the car I took quickly at my in-laws.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:37 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Beautiful, congrats! Nice build.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:33 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats beautiful car and welcome!!! I heard great things about CarMax ext warranty... My wife who owned 3 Cayenne Turbos since inception is so in love with her Macan S ...lol
Old 01-29-2019, 02:49 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Great looking car! Regarding the leather issues, I don't think you posted a picture of the damage, but I predict that they will be able to repair it very well and to your satisfaction. Congrats on getting your first Porsche!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM
liquidshadow22
7th Gear

Beautiful combo. White with black rims is just fantastic.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM
Stack24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alex911s
Congrats beautiful car and welcome!!! I heard great things about CarMax ext warranty... My wife who owned 3 Cayenne Turbos since inception is so in love with her Macan S ...lol
Thank you very much for the kind words. Yeah after reading a ton of boards and cross referencing that with the fact that a lot of Porsche dealerships sold the Fidelity backed one I figured the price was much nicer than anyone else offered.

Originally Posted by bwiele
Great looking car! Regarding the leather issues, I don't think you posted a picture of the damage, but I predict that they will be able to repair it very well and to your satisfaction. Congrats on getting your first Porsche!
They did fix it very nicely. Here is the before and after.

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Beautiful, congrats! Nice build.
Originally Posted by liquidshadow22
Beautiful combo. White with black rims is just fantastic.
Thank you guys. I appreciate it and already started the minor mod bug lol
Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats, looks like a great build. The more I see them the more I like side blades in exterior color.

How much was the Carmax warranty?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 AM
Stack24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Congrats, looks like a great build. The more I see them the more I like side blades in exterior color.

How much was the Carmax warranty?
So the best price I found for Fidelity when I was looking through all the different channels was 5YR 75K for $4241. The Carmax one was 5 YR 75K for $3549 and it's backed by Fidelity as well. It's written on th top of the warranty and all the addresses match etc. It's also exclusionary so it's their Platinum one as well.

The only downside to getting it at CarMax is you have to get it at the time of purchase where as the Fidelity one you could buy anytime you want. Since I was low miles on the car i could have waited a year and probably got the warranty for longer terms. (5 Years starting a year later)
Old 02-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stack24
So the best price I found for Fidelity when I was looking through all the different channels was 5YR 75K for $4241. The Carmax one was 5 YR 75K for $3549 and it's backed by Fidelity as well. It's written on th top of the warranty and all the addresses match etc. It's also exclusionary so it's their Platinum one as well.

The only downside to getting it at CarMax is you have to get it at the time of purchase where as the Fidelity one you could buy anytime you want. Since I was low miles on the car i could have waited a year and probably got the warranty for longer terms. (5 Years starting a year later)
Thanks. Do you get another 75K on top of what the car already has or does it expire when the car hits 75K?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Stack24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Thanks. Do you get another 75K on top of what the car already has or does it expire when the car hits 75K?
It's when the car hits 75K miles. When I bought the car it had 13K miles on it and I don't think I would put on that many miles in 5 years based on how we drove our last car.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stack24
It's when the car hits 75K miles. When I bought the car it had 13K miles on it and I don't think I would put on that many miles in 5 years based on how we drove our last car.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 PM
NJRon
Advanced

Congrats!!! Beautiful combo
Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 413 Posts

Congrats. Enjoy in good health.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Beautiful car, congrats
Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 AM
Stack24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJRon
Congrats!!! Beautiful combo
Originally Posted by uniqueMR
Congrats. Enjoy in good health.
Originally Posted by Steve48
Beautiful car, congrats
thank you all for the kind words! It’s been a great first month. Knock on wood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Time Porsche Owner - Finally!