Macan 2014-Current

'Upgraded' Macan Engine Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts
Default 'Upgraded' Macan Engine Cover

Okay so recently we had the Porsche carbon fiber floormats brought to our attention, now this accessory...

Has anyone here seen these? ... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU95BX50ET.html

Appears to be the one from the Turbo PP model? Seems like it might add a little more 'pop'/interest under the hood while preserving the OEM look, for those cars-n-coffee events and such. Regarding the 'turbo' logos, I guess if you think about it all V6 Macans are twin turbos too after all, 'Turbo' model or not.

Of course it carries that Porsche price tag as well, but I've become conditioned now to expect that. I just need to stay off this Suncoast site for a while! (I've actually gotten really good deals there over the years, and they always seem to find unique OEM part and accessories that I don't see elsewhere...no affiliation with them BTW, just a satisfied customer many times over)

Anyway, just curious other's thoughts on this thing?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

geez... Which to get first? This engine cover or the cf floor mats...

Old 01-18-2019, 06:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

No problem with the "Turbo" badging but "Exclusive Powerkit" seems a little too much.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by PSEE
geez... Which to get first? This engine cover or the cf floor mats...

I guess that’s what we call a first world problem
Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Just get the current cover wrapped in a carbon fiber wrap. I wonder if somebody like MACarbon could cover it in carbon fiber. Heat could be an issue, don’t know,
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No problem with the "Turbo" badging but "Exclusive Powerkit" seems a little too much.
Thought about that too when I saw that part of it, although most people don’t know WTH that is anyway.

However if you look at previous Cayenne and now the Macan PP ‘powerkits’, it really amounts to basically the same things done to the GTS 3.0 versus the S 3.0 to account for the power bump (along with brake & chassis upgrades). The 911 ‘powerkits’ appear to be more extensive. The SUV versions are basically factory tuning in the power dept.

As for the ‘Exclusive’ part, well, many of us have Exclusive options (color matched gauge faces, deviated seatbelts, etc.)

Guess what I’m trying to say is if you ever felt you really needed to justify that little carbon badge, you probably could. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Regardless I think it’s is a pretty nice unique looking cover. I think it would be a subtle way to highlight the fact that it’s a Porsche turbo engine in an OEM-looking manner, not outwardly visible on the exterior anywhere, and spice up the underhood appearance a bit and make it more unique in the process. I think that’s why this appealed to me somewhat when I first saw it.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd B
Just get the current cover wrapped in a carbon fiber wrap. I wonder if somebody like MACarbon could cover it in carbon fiber. Heat could be an issue, don’t know,
Or if someone like MACarbon would actually do a complete CF unit at some point, that would probably look fantastic. If Porsche Tequipment or Exclusive ever did one as an accessory I’m sure it’d be beautiful, at a PRICE of course.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Meh. I second wrapping or hydro dipping the cover instead. There are high temp wraps out there that works on brake calipers so there should be stuff that would work just as well on the plastic cover. I had a portion of the cover on my RS5 hydro dipped and it's held up perfectly.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:38 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like nothing more than a different color plastic with a fake CF sticker to me, nothing more than that.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Much to my surprise I recently came across one of these relatively rare items on eBay. Guy purchased it new then ended up trading his Macan right before he installed it. Made him an offer which he accepted at a FANTASTIC price, so figured why not!

Arrived in the original packaging. Made a minor mod to make it GTS appropriate. Plate is genuine CF. To me it adds a nice subtle sportier touch under the hood, highlighting the turbo nature of the motor and the uniqueness of the GTS package which is basically a factory 'powerkit' of the Macan S (if you do the research you find that essentially the same mods that were done to the Turbo to make the Turbo PP model was the same approach that Porsche had employed to create the GTS model from the S). I'm very pleased with it. Thought I'd share a pic.

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 02-12-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spell correction
Old 02-16-2019, 03:44 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

I received some info on this topic. I first tried someone here in Houston. Was told by the owner, there was not enough money in it and too difficult. Then, based on someones' suggestion, I pinged MACarbon. This is what I got back:

Hi Bruce,

We did custom plates like this in the past. They were usually $300-500 depending on the complexity. Mostly they were the GT3 or GT2 type tags behind the rear seats. Even at that price they were a pain to do. And putting the plate in the engine bay excludes us from using the most common way to do custom lettering - which is vinyl under the clear. I think we'd have to pass as well.

Regards,

John Borchelt

President

MAcarbon
Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I received some info on this topic. I first tried someone here in Houston. Was told by the owner, there was not enough money in it and too difficult. Then, based on someones' suggestion, I pinged MACarbon. This is what I got back:

Hi Bruce,

We did custom plates like this in the past. They were usually $300-500 depending on the complexity. Mostly they were the GT3 or GT2 type tags behind the rear seats. Even at that price they were a pain to do. And putting the plate in the engine bay excludes us from using the most common way to do custom lettering - which is vinyl under the clear. I think we'd have to pass as well.

Regards,

John Borchelt

President

MAcarbon
Interesting. That’s too bad because MACarbon does very high quality OEM-like work.

Where he mentions the challenges with the underhood environment, I noticed the the CF plaque on the OEM cover I purchased has the lettering applied in what appears to be a silk screened like application below the clearcoat, Porsche did not use decals under there. Of course Porsche has resources available that mere mortals don’t. The ‘Macan GTS’ logo I applied to personalize it is cut from an OEM underhood emissions decal I ordered from the dealer, so it’s designed for the rigors of the underhood environment (and I like the fact I kept it all OEM bits).

Thanks for sharing that info from MACarbon.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:21 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been wondering how long I am going to leave mine on. Not get a second one.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:41 AM
wolverine1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just the engine cover that comes standard on the Turbo PP. Suncoast must have ordered extras from the factory and are reselling them.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

The dealer replaced my original GTS engine cover under warranty (the engine plaque was 'spotted'/blemished with something since I bought it). So I went back to using the GTS cover once they replaced it.

Therefore in anyone's interested in the Turbo PP cover with the carbon fiber plaque, $175 takes it (plus shipping if you're not local to me). MSRP new is $373.68. Pic is further up in this thread. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: 'Upgraded' Macan Engine Cover