Macan 2014-Current

taillight error message

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default taillight error message

Has anyone had this appear on your dash? All the LED points are lit normally, the brake lights and turn signals work as well.
Everything seems to be fine except for the message. I hate to have to change the taillight assembly just to clear the message!
Thoughts?
Pete

Old 01-17-2019, 01:55 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
Has anyone had this appear on your dash? All the LED points are lit normally, the brake lights and turn signals work as well.
Everything seems to be fine except for the message. I hate to have to change the taillight assembly just to clear the message!
Thoughts?
Pete
I've not experienced that since I've had my Macan, but I did see that on my Cayenne Turbo when one of the license plate bulbs failed.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:46 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

Just had a "check third brake light" warning pop up this morning. It went away after the next time I hit the brakes with moderate pressure. Weird.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe the previous owner of my vehicle had one side replaced under warranty and a couple of months after I
took (CPO) delivery, I had the other side replaced. Under my ownership the error message appeared although the
tail light appeared to be working correctly.

IIRC, there was some mention of it being a 'known issue'.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:45 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Reviving an old thread here as I got both “Check right rear light” and “Check left rear light” messages this morning. Restarting the car cleared the warning, and all rear lights appear to be working,

Anyone have any follow-up to this thread?

DaveGee
Old 09-01-2021, 11:45 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,358 Likes on 1,398 Posts

As I mentioned in my thread :

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...placement.html

in my case it was the lower left light that was out.

I missed it at first as that assembly (which includes the useless reverse light...) hardly serves any purpose given it's lack of visibility - I can guarantee that in winter it will be permanently covered in 4 inches of snow (reason I modified the reverse light and added an LED pod).

The above post has the part number to order it (FCP Euro doesn't alas carry it). For the 2020 you need to remove the wheel well liner and pull it out of the back as it seems it's clipped in (I haven't done mine yet as I'll do that when I change to winter tires in ten days or so).

For the previous generation, it seems you insert a plastic panel removal tool under the end bottom lip and slide it towards the front of the car. This unclips it and you remove it from the front.

siberian

PS Please note there are no serviceable parts - thus a silly 30 cent LED can't be swapped and you have to buy the whole assembly for between 137 - to over 200 bucks (the latter at the dealer of course).

As soon as I take mine out I'll disassemble it and find an LED to see if I can solder a new one. This kind of waste is just totally uncalled for; like the 2008 V6 Touareg where they expected you to throw away every oil plug when you changed the oil. As it turned out the V8 Touareg's crush washer fit and eventually I just replaced them all with a Fumoto valve.

Last edited by siberian; 09-02-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: taillight error message