Macan 2014-Current

TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:01 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE!

Has anyone encountered TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE after driving in the rain and going through some minor puddles??? I have twice with my 2017 Macan.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rwitkin
Has anyone encountered TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE after driving in the rain and going through some minor puddles??? I have twice with my 2017 Macan.
Yikes! Hope you avoided having an accident or other mishap as a result. I've certainly not experienced that on my Macan, nor any other vehicle I've owned for that matter.

That's a serious issue! It's a 2017 (warranty), so I'd get it into your nearest P dealer ASAP (preferably on a flatbed!).
Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yikes! Hope you avoided having an accident or other mishap as a result. I've certainly not experienced that on my Macan, nor any other vehicle I've owned for that matter.

That's a serious issue! It's a 2017 (warranty), so I'd get it into your nearest P dealer ASAP (preferably on a flatbed!).
Being towed as we speak. I'm surprised that I have the only Macan in the U.S. with this very serious problem I had to use the emergency brake to avoid collision.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rwitkin
Being towed as we speak. I'm surprised that I have the only Macan in the U.S. with this very serious problem I had to use the emergency brake to avoid collision.
Geez, scary! Glad it's on the way in to the dealer. Please keep us updated on what they find.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Whoa! How fast were you going? How did you apply the electric parking brake without any modulation? Was it an abrupt lock-up? Any deviation from straight-line?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Electronic parking brakes are designed to be engaged while moving since they are emergency brakes:

Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Whoa! How fast were you going? How did you apply the electric parking brake without any modulation? Was it an abrupt lock-up? Any deviation from straight-line?
I was traveling at about 10 mph in traffic, keeping my distance. Stayed off freeway due to braking concerns. Parking brake worked well at that speed. Car stayed straight. Brakes failed all at once with no warning after I went through a minimally flooded intersection. All of the sudden, brakes failed, brake pedal would not go down and I got a fault notice that I will try to upload stating brake fluid was low (it wasn’t) and, shockingly, “Driving permitted.”
Old 01-16-2019, 01:20 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

There is more going on here than just a puddle. When you get the bill back from the Porsche repair please share the details with us.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Wow - glad you weren't going faster !

Strange to me that you would let this occur twice, unless both times were in the same trip and just a couple minutes apart. With the brake pedal not moving at all, how hard did you try to force it down before activating the electric parking brake. My guess is you have a problem with the brake booster so you got no power assist to the brake pedal after something related to the brake booster got splashed by the puddle water. If you forced the brake pedal harder, you might have gotten some stopping effect, even though it didn't feel like you would because the power assist was gone.

Nissan/Infiniti had a problem with their QX56s, Armadas, and Titan trucks where you would lose all braking ability like the car was shut off, even though it wasn't. Turned out to be a fault of the Delta Stroke sensor - happened to ours with my wife at the top of the driveway. Cost $1,200 to get it replaced with the new, upgraded part and it wasn't long after we sold the QX and bought the Cayenne. Nissan eventually lost a lawsuit and compensated owners who had to replace it with $400. Thanks Nissan for keeping me from buying any of your products in the future.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wow - glad you weren't going faster !

Strange to me that you would let this occur twice, unless both times were in the same trip and just a couple minutes apart. With the brake pedal not moving at all, how hard did you try to force it down before activating the electric parking brake. My guess is you have a problem with the brake booster so you got no power assist to the brake pedal after something related to the brake booster got splashed by the puddle water. If you forced the brake pedal harder, you might have gotten some stopping effect, even though it didn't feel like you would because the power assist was gone.

Nissan/Infiniti had a problem with their QX56s, Armadas, and Titan trucks where you would lose all braking ability like the car was shut off, even though it wasn't. Turned out to be a fault of the Delta Stroke sensor - happened to ours with my wife at the top of the driveway. Cost $1,200 to get it replaced with the new, upgraded part and it wasn't long after we sold the QX and bought the Cayenne. Nissan eventually lost a lawsuit and compensated owners who had to replace it with $400. Thanks Nissan for keeping me from buying any of your products in the future.
Thanks for the info. It happened twice because after taking the car in for service the first time, a month before, I was told that they couldn’t duplicate the problem and, basically, it was a fluke (there was some mention of the brake booster). Obviously, I shouldn’t have been okay with that explanation. When the brakes failed (both times) the pedal wouldn’t go down and it felt like it (the pedal) was just hitting a wall. I don’t know if I could have gotten some braking power by trying to force the pedal down. No time to find that out
Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like there's an issue with the booster which would explain why the pedal seemed hard. Total brake failure would typically mean loss of brake fluid from both circuits which is extremely unlikely unless someone is trying to collect your life insurance.

If it's a booster issue, the brakes are still fully functional. In an unexpected situation it may seem like hitting a wall but that's just at the point when you're starting to actually engage the brakes. I've had this happen on the track and it can induce some puckering for sure. Additional effort will apply the brakes - even if it takes both feet. Now when the pedal goes to the floor and there is no deceleration, that's when to panic and grab the emergency brake. I've had that happen on the track too.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

I’d be telling the dealer they’d better be throwing some parts at it like a brake booster and/or abs controller. They are playing Russian roulette ignoring an intermittent fault of a critical life safety system. Adding fluid wouldn’t cut it. Full bleed plus parts if they can’t verify an issue. That is huge liability if they let that leave the shop again.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

It's possible it could be an ABS issue. The super hard pedal sounds like the ice pedal issue with a car on track. When it happens the brake pedal is super hard, no matter how much force you use to push the car will not slow down. You have to pump the brakes to get control again. When you were braking, how were you doing it, a quick jab or slow push on the brakes? The ice pedal is induced by a jab on the brakes, there's other factors that help induce it. Basically the ABS thinks the car is on a slick surface and limits the amount of braking being applied. Also could be an issue with the speed sensors at the wheels or the ABS computer. But like others have said you would think there would some faults in the system.

Is braking restored once you turn the car off and back on?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Todd B
It's possible it could be an ABS issue. The super hard pedal sounds like the ice pedal issue with a car on track. When it happens the brake pedal is super hard, no matter how much force you use to push the car will not slow down. You have to pump the brakes to get control again. When you were braking, how were you doing it, a quick jab or slow push on the brakes? The ice pedal is induced by a jab on the brakes, there's other factors that help induce it. Basically the ABS thinks the car is on a slick surface and limits the amount of braking being applied. Also could be an issue with the speed sensors at the wheels or the ABS computer. But like others have said you would think there would some faults in the system.

I would call my braking technique frantic stomping. Braking is only restored after sitting around for 30 to 45 minutes. Drying out?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:56 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B

While possible I've not read about this happening at 10mph in street conditions so the probability seems very low. I'm glad I've never experience anything like that on the track!

Quick Reply: TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE!