Macan 2014-Current

TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rwitkin

I would call my braking technique frantic stomping. Braking is only restored after sitting around for 30 to 45 minutes. Drying out?
It could be the ABS control module is failing. It can present an unresponsive brake pedal (ie hard to push).
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I was just poking around online and ran across this:
​​​​​​NEWS: Porsche is recalling certain 2015 Macan vehicles; SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Report Receipt Date: AUG 01, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V470000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 7

SEPT 2014 -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain model year 2015 Macan vehicles. During manufacturing, the brake booster may have been damaged during installation. If the brake booster was damaged during installation, the vacuum in the brake booster may drop when the brakes are actuated, resulting in a reduced brake force boost, increasing the risk of a crash. Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the brake booster, as necessary, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Porsche's number for this recall is AE02. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

MORE RECALL INFO:
Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
​​​​​​NEWS: Porsche is recalling certain 2015 Macan vehicles; SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

SEPT 2014 -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain model year 2015 Macan vehicles. During manufacturing, the brake booster may have been damaged during installation. If the brake booster was damaged during installation, the vacuum in the brake booster may drop when the brakes are actuated, resulting in a reduced brake force boost, increasing the risk of a crash. Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the brake booster, as necessary, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Porsche's number for this recall is AE02. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

MORE RECALL INFO:
Thank you. Mine is a 2017 but the problem sounds suspiciously similar…
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 01-17-2019, 07:20 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE

MORE RECALL INFO:
Interesting find. If I were the OP I’d still bring this to the attention of the dealer service department even though theirs is a 2017 model.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for sharing, glad you got stopped without more of a problem.

Am not a Porsche mechanic but have worked on a few cars. IMO, based on information provided your problem is electrical in nature, a sensor / loose connection letting water in. Boosters are mechanical tend not to fail intermittently. When a booster fails your brakes should still work, but should feel like non-power brakes of yesteryear, that isn't what you describe. The Lane Change Assist icon is also lighted on the fault screen, hmmm. Something going on in the electronics is completely stopping brake function.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:30 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Um - so how did this end up? The OP still cannot stop, so hasn't been able to login to post?

Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM
rwitkin
8th Gear

It’s still in the shop. Latest is they think it was an electronic sensor.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:51 AM
Jason.b
5th Gear

You stated that you stayed off the freeway due to braking concerns... Were those concerns car-related..? And if so, what kind of braking problems were you having before to have those concerns?

Originally Posted by rwitkin

I was traveling at about 10 mph in traffic, keeping my distance. Stayed off freeway due to braking concerns. Parking brake worked well at that speed. Car stayed straight. Brakes failed all at once with no warning after I went through a minimally flooded intersection. All of the sudden, brakes failed, brake pedal would not go down and I got a fault notice that I will try to upload stating brake fluid was low (it wasn’t) and, shockingly, “Driving permitted.”
Old 06-08-2019, 04:37 AM
rwitkin
8th Gear

I stayed off the freeway because it was raining and I had lost the brakes previously in the rain on the freeway. The dealer said it was a fluke and gave me the car back a month earlier. Ultimately, I think they blamed it on some kind of pinhole leak in a hoseThey replaced the hose and I haven’t had trouble since.

Quick Reply: TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE!