Macan 2014-Current

Macan Buyers Guide?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:33 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Macan Buyers Guide?

I'm in the market for a used Macan. Was hoping there'd be a sticky thread in this forum to help. Anything major to look out for? Probably looking for an S. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I'm in the market for a used Macan. Was hoping there'd be a sticky thread in this forum to help. Anything major to look out for? Probably looking for an S. Thanks.
I’d recommend starting with Porsche’s online pre-owned vehicle locator and see if you can find a nice CPO Macan S. IMO CPO is the way to go on used Porsches. Good luck with your quest!
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the reason that there isn't a buying guide is that, for the most part, Macans have proved to be mechanically reliable and trouble free. So you can purchase a used one with a good degree of confidence. My advice is to spend some time on the Porsche configurator and parse through each and every option to see if you really want it. Most options have their own discussion thread here. You must decide if you want a roof rack or not. The styling bars, where the cross bars will fit, can't be economically retrofitted. In addition, you should also go to a Porsche dealer and sit in the different seat styles to see what you like and what you need to pay for.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Also Macans haven't been around for very long so it's hard to find a pattern of issues. When I was looking the only real issue I was concerned about was the transfer case issue.

Other things worth checking:
- Engine oil leak. Pretty common, definitely something to get fixed under warranty as repairs can be expensive.
- Crazing on the headlights
- Cracked door handles (very rare, I think this one gets fixed pretty quickly under warranty)
- Paint damage to lower half of rear doors due to road debris

I can't really think of anything else off-hand, overall pretty solid vehicles.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Roughly 85,000 Macans have been sold in the US since its introduction.

If you read the forums, you'll see postings of potential issues with the car - not 'guaranteed to happen' issues.

All of the issues listed above have occurred with a very limited number of vehicles. If I had to guess, I'd imagine
it would be around 1%.

Your best bet would to be to purchase either new or CPO. The Porsche CPO program is hard to beat - 6/100K from
the vehicle's in-service date. When you find one at a dealer and you believe you wan to purchase it, have it taken
to an independent Porsche shop for a PPI. It'll be money well spent.

Good luck!

Last edited by PSEE; 01-07-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: bad math...
Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks. I was interested in the potential issues without having to read the entire forum and try to figure out which were one-off complaints and which were more common.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One interesting item. I looked at non-certified cars because I have used 3rd party warranties on other cars. A top level warranty for four years, 60k miles will run 8k. Three years at 45k miles is just 400 less. It's way higher than anything else I've had.

The financial guy at our local P-dealer was a bit surprised too. They will offer extended stuff from time to time. Warranty companies aren't stupid and i was trying to figure out exactly what they thought would go wrong for that kind of price.

CPO is really the only option here.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Stack24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nifty911
One interesting item. I looked at non-certified cars because I have used 3rd party warranties on other cars. A top level warranty for four years, 60k miles will run 8k. Three years at 45k miles is just 400 less. It's way higher than anything else I've had.

The financial guy at our local P-dealer was a bit surprised too. They will offer extended stuff from time to time. Warranty companies aren't stupid and i was trying to figure out exactly what they thought would go wrong for that kind of price.

CPO is really the only option here.
So I ended buying my car through CarMax of all places. It was a 2017 GTS with 13K miles on it. Their MaxCare warranty which is just a 3rd party warranty is actually backed by Fidelity here in Houston. Not sure if it's different in other cities or states. When I saw them as the underwriter I was more open to actually getting the warranty because this is the same exclusionary warranty that was being offered to me by finance guys at Porsche and a few other places. The total cost for it with a $50.00 deductible was $3500 for 5 years and 75K miles.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:55 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Stack24
So I ended buying my car through CarMax of all places. It was a 2017 GTS with 13K miles on it. Their MaxCare warranty which is just a 3rd party warranty is actually backed by Fidelity here in Houston. Not sure if it's different in other cities or states. When I saw them as the underwriter I was more open to actually getting the warranty because this is the same exclusionary warranty that was being offered to me by finance guys at Porsche and a few other places. The total cost for it with a $50.00 deductible was $3500 for 5 years and 75K miles.
Fidelity is probably the next best thing to CPO based on previous discussions I followed in the Cayenne 958 forum.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:42 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I got a protection plan from carshield.com (it looks like they resell American Car Shield) which is a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty (my car had 60k miles already so 40k miles of coverage) with a $300 deductible for around $3k I think. It's not as good as CPO, there are quite a few exclusions...still not sure it was worth it but only time will tell. Spending $8k for a warranty just doesn't make sense, might as well self insure for that much. The two issues I would have liked to get fixed and probably would have been covered under CPO are headlight crazing and an oil leak, but those aren't covered under my warranty, and aren't really serious enough issues to bother fixing out of warranty yet.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:07 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Reviving. This seemed to end up as mostly a discussion of warranties. We are in the market for a used Macan and I’m trying to learn the differences for each model year across the Base, S and Turbo.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:03 PM
Asiania
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I's just wondering why heated windshield isn't a more common option in cold places? Dealers near me don't seem to keep them, only a custom build.

Quick Reply: Macan Buyers Guide?