Macan 2014-Current

GTS Suspension vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:24 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Default GTS Suspension vs Turbo

Is there any resource which goes over the technical differences between the GTS and Turbo suspension? My understanding is that the difference is all in the programming, so does that mean that the actual suspension parts are the same? Is it just lower with a tweaked PASM tune?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:29 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

You'd have to spec a Turbo with air suspension and PASM which aren't standard or get a Turbo PP which, I'm pretty sure, has the same set up as the GTS standard.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:41 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Sure, so my Turbo has PASM and AS, but I don't think I will get GTS handling just by adding some lowering links right? So I am wondering are there any parts differences or is it all done by software?
Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

I read from a car magazine before that the GTS has unique sway bars not on any other model. This was before the Turbo PP came out. Not sure about the accuracy of that though as the only thing I've seen on Porsche's web page is that the GTS and T-PP have their lowest air suspension setting set 10mm lower than other trims when equipped with air.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I read from a car magazine before that the GTS has unique sway bars not on any other model. This was before the Turbo PP came out. Not sure about the accuracy of that though as the only thing I've seen on Porsche's web page is that the GTS and T-PP have their lowest air suspension setting set 10mm lower than other trims when equipped with air.
Yes, there are unique GTS-specific sway bars, bushings, etc. I don’t recall all the details but the GTS suspension is comprised of both some hardware and software/tuning differences that are unique to the GTS model. You cannot get the exact same setup on a Turbo, Turbo PP, or any other model. The same applies to the GTS suspension within the Cayenne lineup (there was this same basic discussion on that forum recently as well).
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default GTS vs Turbo suspension

Sounds like a holiday plan to decipher with part numbers and costs the “differences”. I for one vote this task to the previous poster. TIA and response due 12/26/18.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Sounds like a holiday plan to decipher with part numbers and costs the “differences”. I for one vote this task to the previous poster. TIA and response due 12/26/18.
Hahahaha!! All of my colleagues are already well aware that after COB tomorrow I’m DONE until next year.....now my Rennlist ‘colleagues’ are aware as well!

(Kind of funny because when I was a Corvette/GM performance enthusiast, I used to spit out part #s left and right. Not so with Porsche....yet)
Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Having had a GTS and an S both with PASM w/air suspension, and Sport Plus - there is minimal differences between them and the handling feedback is nearly identical between them. GTS has a bit lighter which would mostly likely come from the sway bars as mentioned above. But in terms of suspension feedback, minimal at best.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:26 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

So, because the difference in HP between a GTS and a Turbo is only software, a GTS with a Cobb tune is the ideal combination, superior to a Turbo, right?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Need4S
So, because the difference in HP between a GTS and a Turbo is only software, a GTS with a Cobb tune is the ideal combination, superior to a Turbo, right?
No, the Turbo has a 3.2L V6 versus the 3.0L V6 in the GTS. A Cobb tuned GTS will produce approximately 440hp depending on the octane in your area which would in theory be better than the Turbo's 400hp but a car's output isn't just about peak horsepower. I'm not sure where the Turbo's torque comes on and whether a Cobb tuned GTS moves the torque curve earlier enough to match a Turbo's but it would be back to square one if comparing a Turbo with a Cobb tune as well.

So I wouldn't use the word "superior". But I do believe the GTS with a Cobb tune is the sweet spot so long as you aren't worried about the warranty on your ECU.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

No, the Turbo has a 3.2L V6 versus the 3.0L V6 in the GTS. A Cobb tuned GTS will produce approximately 440hp depending on the octane in your area which would in theory be better than the Turbo's 400hp but a car's output isn't just about peak horsepower. I'm not sure where the Turbo's torque comes on and whether a Cobb tuned GTS moves the torque curve earlier enough to match a Turbo's but it would be back to square one if comparing a Turbo with a Cobb tune as well.

So I wouldn't use the word "superior". But I do believe the GTS with a Cobb tune is the sweet spot so long as you aren't worried about the warranty on your ECU.
Correction above - the Turbo is a 3.6ltr, not 3.2 Bespoke Porsche engine not used elsewhere (and likely last yr of production as the Macan is moving to Audi-sourced engines, including the 2.9V6 in the face-lifted Turbo).

To me the best of ALL words (highest output and best handling) is the combination of Macan Turbo + Cobb Tune + H&R Air Suspension Module. Running this exact setup presently and car feels far more composed and handling is noticeably improved over the GTS (sits lower from the factory H&R setting than a GTS and can in fact be lowered an additional 30mm).

So no compromises needed - highest power output available via Cobb on a Macan + improved handing dynamics, ride, and aesthetic look!
Old 12-27-2018, 01:32 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Correction above - the Turbo is a 3.6ltr, not 3.2 Bespoke Porsche engine not used elsewhere (and likely last yr of production as the Macan is moving to Audi-sourced engines, including the 2.9V6 in the face-lifted Turbo).

To me the best of ALL words (highest output and best handling) is the combination of Macan Turbo + Cobb Tune + H&R Air Suspension Module. Running this exact setup presently and car feels far more composed and handling is noticeably improved over the GTS (sits lower from the factory H&R setting than a GTS and can in fact be lowered an additional 30mm).

So no compromises needed - highest power output available via Cobb on a Macan + improved handing dynamics, ride, and aesthetic look!
Yes, thank you for the correction on the engine displacement! Been reading too much about the Audi 3.2L.

You forgot about the Turbo Performance Package. That with a Cobb tune and air suspension module would be the top dog.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

You forgot about the Turbo Performance Package. That with a Cobb tune and air suspension module would be the top dog.
Perhaps, I didn't forget about it, just not sure we can definitively make that statement.

For one, Cobb does not offer a tune specifically for the PP (as far as I am aware, and not currently listed on their website so I'd say none is available). And if they did, I would love to see the results, as more than likely the current Base T vs T PP delta (40 crank HP) would be netted out as likely their full curve would look 1-1 (in fact there will be a higher peak delta on the T vs PP).

Given relatively small # of PPs, I doubt Cobb will spend the R&D to develop something just for that platform as it essentially is a T mapping 'upped' by the factory with a tad more boost.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:50 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Given relatively small # of PPs, I doubt Cobb will spend the R&D to develop something just for that platform as it essentially is a T mapping 'upped' by the factory with a tad more boost.
True. Turbo PP is pretty much a factory tuned Turbo and Cobb likely won't spend R&D resources to add to it due to the small numbers of them out there.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Yes, there are unique GTS-specific sway bars, bushings, etc. I don’t recall all the details but the GTS suspension is comprised of both some hardware and software/tuning differences that are unique to the GTS model. You cannot get the exact same setup on a Turbo, Turbo PP, or any other model. The same applies to the GTS suspension within the Cayenne lineup (there was this same basic discussion on that forum recently as well).
For the Macan this is actually not true. According to PET, the Turbo (when equipped with the air suspension/pasm) and GTS sway bars/air shocks/springs are all the same parts. There might be different software/tuning, but the hardware is the same.

Quick Reply: GTS Suspension vs Turbo