Macan 2014-Current

GTS Suspension vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:45 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
For the Macan this is actually not true. According to PET, the Turbo (when equipped with the air suspension/pasm) and GTS sway bars/air shocks/springs are all the same parts. There might be different software/tuning, but the hardware is the same.
Sorry, according to what I’ve read the Macan GTS does have some unique suspension components. It wasn’t a lot, but there were one or two components that were GTS-specific (I believe it was rear sway bar and bushings?). Someone who has access to Porsche part #s could do a little research to verify.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Sorry, according to what I’ve read the Macan GTS does have some unique suspension components. It wasn’t a lot, but there were one or two components that were GTS-specific (I believe it was rear sway bar and bushings?). Someone who has access to Porsche part #s could do a little research to verify.
I did do the research. That’s what I was saying, there are no differences in the hardware. Go grab the PET and check for yourself if you don’t believe me.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I did do the research. That’s what I was saying, there are no differences in the hardware. Go grab the PET and check for yourself if you don’t believe me.
Interesting. I’m not familiar with the acronym “PET” but I assume it’s Porsche’s parts inventory tool?

So when I read things like “...with the overall setup being 0.4 inch lower and about 10 percent firmer than... There’s also a slightly stiffer rear anti-roll bar...” (from C&D’s review of the 2017 GTS) perhaps it’s inaccurate, and the differences are due solely to GTS-specific S/W tuning.

I assume S/W tuning also accounts for the GTS’s 10mm lower ride height. Who really knows (the Porsche engineers do!)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Interesting. I’m not familiar with the acronym “PET” but I assume it’s Porsche’s parts inventory tool?

So when I read things like “...with the overall setup being 0.4 inch lower and about 10 percent firmer than... There’s also a slightly stiffer rear anti-roll bar...” (from C&D’s review of the 2017 GTS) perhaps it’s inaccurate, and the differences are due solely to GTS-specific S/W tuning.

I assume S/W tuning also accounts for the GTS’s 10mm lower ride height. Who really knows (the Porsche engineers do!)

PET is the Porsche parts catalog per model. PET is short for Porsche ErsatzTeile
Porsche has been good about releasing the catalogs for the different models in a timely fashion. You can download it from the Porsche site, at this location. https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

I think you referencing this review https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tested-reviews
If so they are comparing it to the Macan S and not the Turbo, which would explain why the parts for the sway bars are the same for the GTS and turbo, but different part numbers for the S.

"Porsche’s subtle GTS treatment is more focused on overall driving pleasure than on outright speed. Standard Macan GTS fare includes electronically adaptive dampers, a stiffer rear anti-roll bar, larger front brakes borrowed from the Macan Turbo, and an air-spring suspension that’s slightly lower and stiffer than that of the 340-hp Macan S"

I don't know and can't tell from the PET if the software is different but the air suspension/PASM in the GTS, would allow Porsche to change the ride hight and also adjust the way the shocks responded. Sort of like buying a DSC module for a 911 or Cayman.

Porsche marketing is always a bit cloudy on the details.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:10 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Interesting stuff. Appreciate the additional info.

Also if that’s the case, one could assume that an ‘S’ model equipped with the optional PASM & air suspension would likely have the same suspension hardware as the GTS and Turbo models. Suspension software is likely where the differences exist between the models for suspension fine tuning.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Interesting stuff. Appreciate the additional info.

Also if that’s the case, one could assume that an ‘S’ model equipped with the optional PASM & air suspension would likely have the same suspension hardware as the GTS and Turbo models. Suspension software is likely where the differences exist between the models for suspension fine tuning.
The sway bars are actually optioned to the Macan by engine type. So an S will never have the GTS/Turbo bars, no matter how you configure the Macan. Only the Turbo can be the same as the GTS.
Porsche doesn't make anything simple with these different variations.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

The sway bars are actually optioned to the Macan by engine type. So an S will never have the GTS/Turbo bars, no matter how you configure the Macan. Only the Turbo can be the same as the GTS.
Porsche doesn't make anything simple with these different variations.
Interesting to know. Porsche isn't the only one with convoluted configurations/variations. I've seen this with other manufacturers as well over the years. Thanks again for the additional info. As a long time auto enthusiast, this stuff interests me.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

For the Macan this is actually not true. According to PET, the Turbo (when equipped with the air suspension/pasm) and GTS sway bars/air shocks/springs are all the same parts. There might be different software/tuning, but the hardware is the same.
Thanks for the clarification, so it sounds like any differences in handling are due to being a little lower and maybe different PASM tuning (maybe steering tuning too?). I imagine the lower center of gravity has a lot to do with it.

Also thanks for the link to the PET! That will be handy in the future for sure.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Thanks for the clarification, so it sounds like any differences in handling are due to being a little lower and maybe different PASM tuning (maybe steering tuning too?).
Good question with regards to the steering. I know the GTS comes standard with Power Steering Plus (PSP) that's optional on the base and S models. Is PSP standard on the Turbo model, or optional?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Good question with regards to the steering. I know the GTS comes standard with Power Steering Plus (PSP) that's optional on the base and S models. Is PSP standard on the Turbo model, or optional?
My '15 turbo had it as standard and I don't see why Porsche would drop it from that trim level.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Anyone that wants it can buy the retrofit through Suncoast (or your dealer can do it himself, basically you pay for the software license), IIRC cost is around $350.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:01 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Anyone that wants it can buy the retrofit through Suncoast (or your dealer can do it himself, basically you pay for the software license), IIRC cost is around $350.
Yes, good point, there are many things you can retrofit to these vehicles after delivery. But the original discussion centered around the differences between the GTS and Turbo standard/default suspension setups and how they differ as spec’ed and delivered from Porsche.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
So, because the difference in HP between a GTS and a Turbo is only software, a GTS with a Cobb tune is the ideal combination, superior to a Turbo, right?
The GTS has a 3.0L engine, while the Turbo has a 3.6L engine.

Not only s/w differences.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

Here’s a fact to make things more convoluted. Canadian market GTS’s don’t have power steering plus as standard equipment. Mine doesn’t have it and I’m glad. I drove a 2018 S that had it and my steering has much better feel.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Here’s a fact to make things more convoluted. Canadian market GTS’s don’t have power steering plus as standard equipment. Mine doesn’t have it and I’m glad. I drove a 2018 S that had it and my steering has much better feel
There are other factors which could contribute to the different steering feel (tire type, wheel sizes, PASM, lower CG, etc), so I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to the PSP just yet.

Quick Reply: GTS Suspension vs Turbo