Macan 2014-Current

Help me decide...Macan Base vs Mazda CX 5 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Help me decide...Macan Base vs Mazda CX 5 Turbo

Hello to Macan fans, my first post here. Have been on Rennlist for 10+ years, 997 and 991 forums.
I would like to hear from Macan Base owners on their experience, performance, maintenance/service issues and overall satisfaction.
I am replacing my 2011 VW Tiguan SEL 4 Motion, owned for 8 trouble free years, 80k miles, no major issues.
Narrowed my search to new Mazda CX-5 Turbo Signature edition, fully equipped (better than most entry level Macans), MSRP $38,600.
Or.... 2018 Macan Base, Premium Plus, Bose, PDLS, Pano Roof. MSRP $59000, is a dealer loaner, 5k miles, 6 months into Warranty. Porsche CPO to 5/2024 or 100k miles, sell price $48,000.
Will be a daily driver, 10-12k miles per year.
I have driven both, like them both for different reasons, have been a Porsche fan for decades (don't ask), but never owned a non sports car Porsche.
Any comments, suggestions, flames 🔥 appreciated!
Thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Pretty sure I know what answer you're going to get on this site...

I'm sure the Mazda is a great vehicle as they are doing excellent work in their segment... but on the other hand, Porsche.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:40 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Thanks,
Macan 1, Mazda 0.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

I like the direction Mazda continuously takes with their products and is, IMO, the only Japanese manufacturer who has spirited dynamics on all of their models. On the other hand, the base Macan is no slouch, but I would not want a Macan without PASM. And I know there's a warranty on it, but loaners aren't exactly treated very well.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

So now you are five years down the road from here. Which of those two cars would you be comfortable with bare on warranty?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

When I stop laughing my **** off I might remember to say Macan
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
When I stop laughing my **** off I might remember to say Macan
What do you find so funny?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS

Hello to Macan fans, my first post here. Have been on Rennlist for 10+ years, 997 and 991 forums.
I would like to hear from Macan Base owners on their experience, performance, maintenance/service issues and overall satisfaction.
I am replacing my 2011 VW Tiguan SEL 4 Motion, owned for 8 trouble free years, 80k miles, no major issues.
Narrowed my search to new Mazda CX-5 Turbo Signature edition, fully equipped (better than most entry level Macans), MSRP $38,600.
Or.... 2018 Macan Base, Premium Plus, Bose, PDLS, Pano Roof. MSRP $59000, is a dealer loaner, 5k miles, 6 months into Warranty. Porsche CPO to 5/2024 or 100k miles, sell price $48,000.
Will be a daily driver, 10-12k miles per year.
I have driven both, like them both for different reasons, have been a Porsche fan for decades (don't ask), but never owned a non sports car Porsche.
Any comments, suggestions, flames 🔥 appreciated!
Thanks
I have a 2017 base Macan that we purchased in December 2016. Currently has 24,000 miles on it. It was optioned well with an MSRP of around $63k.

It has been very reliable so far with no mechanical or cosmetic issues. It's fast enough for me, given the platform, and handles well. I usually enjoy it when I end up driving it.

That said, if you like the Mazda, why not go that route? It will be cheaper to own. Probably not as fun to drive in a spirited fashion, but is that really what you are after?

Obviously you know the brand and the Macan is a great SUV. And having the Macan CPO'd is nice as well. If long term ownership is in the cardscand I liked the Mazda equally, I would lean that direction.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies, will decide this week.
I appreciate the experience, and knowledge of Rennlist community!
Old 12-17-2018, 01:28 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

The new turbo CX-5 really is a fantastic vehicle. I only got to drive it in snow on snow tires, so I can't comment on it's handling prowess on dry pavement and the G-vectoring system, but the new turbo engine works very well. Note that the engine is tuned for max low-end torque of 310 lb-ft at 2000rpm where people spend all their time in daily driving. Base 2.0L Macan is only 273 lb-ft with a curb weight of 3900lbs. The CX5 has a curb weight of 3825, so 40lb-ft more torque with 75 lbs less weight should make the Mazda faster in city traffic if you need to dart around. Peak HP is at a lowly 5000rpm, so you can see how Mazda really tuned the engine for max torque down low. The Macan I'm sure will perform better driving at 8/10ths and higher. But you will have ask yourself, how do you spend most of your time driving? Which is the better fit for you? For the interior, Mazda has really stepped it up and it rivals Audi IMO.

I just built a base Macan to similar specs as the loaded CX-5 and the Macan came out to $59k. Red paint, 19" wheels, and Premium Package. So for the price of the Macan, you could get the CX-5 plus a used 2016 Miata.

A few good article/vids on the CX-5:

I would give the Macan the top-end performance advantage if you drive like a bat out of hell often. I quick reflash from Cobb or APR will give a big performance boost. However, if the vehicle will be used for normal commuting, saving $20k up front plus less lost to depreciation makes for a compelling argument for the Mazda. I was looking at getting my wife a CPO Macan at some point as she currently drives a 2016 CX-5. But after driving the new turbo CX-5, I'm not so sure anymore on the Macan taking into account her driving skill level. I have a ton a track/auto-x/drag strip seat time and can wring out a Macan to the limits, but she would never be able to approach them and the car would be for her. So..... I could get her a turbo CX-5 instead and a used Miata toy for myself. Or a new Triumph Street Triple RS and cash for a few awesome road trips and track days to replace my 12 year old CBR 600RR.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I think Mazda has done an incredible job of delivering value for the $. The one thing I'll say though is that I've always found the interiors of lower priced cars, even fully loaded, to just feel lacking as compared to Porsche, MB, Audi, etc interiors. If that's going to bum you out every time you drive it, then take that into account. My $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it
Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
I think Mazda has done an incredible job of delivering value for the $. The one thing I'll say though is that I've always found the interiors of lower priced cars, even fully loaded, to just feel lacking as compared to Porsche, MB, Audi, etc interiors. If that's going to bum you out every time you drive it, then take that into account. My $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it
That's the thing, the new 2019 Mazda interior is really nice as it has been upgraded in quality and design to compete with the luxury brands.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the thorough, and helpful replies.

Leaning towards the Macan as of now, found several nicely equipped CPO 2018's, in the 45-46k range, less than 5 k miles, 5+ years of warranty remaining.
But....I agree that the 2019 CX5 Signature is indeed a step up in interior, standard safety equipment, and performance. I am also a long time Mazda fan, with a 2014 25th Anniversary Edition Miata in the fleet! In my opinion, Mazda is the only Japanese manufacturer that offers a "drivers" car vs. an appliance.

Had I not driven a friend's 2018 Macan Base recently, the CX 5 would be in my garage now.
OTOH, if the market trajectory continues for the next few weeks, the VW may have a home for another year!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I can see the allure of the CX5.
Even understand it. Who's car is this?
Wife, kid,you?
There is something to be said about the suffering of $2000 brake job, vs the $8oo dollar one.
Choose your pill.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

My honest opinion as a Macan (Turbo) owner - go with the Mazda over base 4-cyl Macan.

This will no doubt get me a grilling here, and absolutely no disrespect to base Macan owners, but I found it borderline despicable Porsche would release an offering like that. I got a 4-cyl as a loaner for nearly a week when my car was in for routine service, and was shocked less so by the delta between that and the T (understandable), but overall how this in no way felt like a Porsche product. The cheap rental-feel interior I can perhaps overlook, but from a handling and performance perspective it was the biggest let down. Yes it is a base car, but even a base Cayenne/Cayman has some of that unmistakable Porsche 'feel' to it that would stir your emotions. Emotions stirred here were that reminiscent of a funeral...that something was terribly lost...

Quick Reply: Help me decide...Macan Base vs Mazda CX 5 Turbo