Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Help me decide...Macan Base vs Mazda CX 5 Turbo

Old 12-19-2018, 01:52 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

This vid from MotoManTV just dropped and it has a lot of tech info from Mazda engineer Dave Coleman who happens to own a Cayman among his fleet. And it looks like MotoMan got himself a GT3 Touring at the end of the vid. He makes a comparison to the Macan around the 9:30 mark.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:53 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 105 Posts

Others over at the macanforum.com site have written that they like the base better than the S model. They wrote that the little guy handled better. What are your thoughts about this?
Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 AM
nal13
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
My honest opinion as a Macan (Turbo) owner - go with the Mazda over base 4-cyl Macan.

This will no doubt get me a grilling here, and absolutely no disrespect to base Macan owners, but I found it borderline despicable Porsche would release an offering like that. I got a 4-cyl as a loaner for nearly a week when my car was in for routine service, and was shocked less so by the delta between that and the T (understandable), but overall how this in no way felt like a Porsche product. The cheap rental-feel interior I can perhaps overlook, but from a handling and performance perspective it was the biggest let down. Yes it is a base car, but even a base Cayenne/Cayman has some of that unmistakable Porsche 'feel' to it that would stir your emotions. Emotions stirred here were that reminiscent of a funeral...that something was terribly lost...
As someone who has owned multiple Porsche sports cars and currently daily drives a 991.2, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. We needed a get around town car for my wife and daughters and the base Macan has been the perfect fit. The drive is great and it comfortably fits two car seats. My wife had been in BMW X5s prior to our purchase and was hesitant to go to smaller car with a 4 cyl. However after just two weeks of ownership, both of us couldn't be happier. The steering and suspension are Porsche. There is no other mass produced SUV that compares to the driving experience. Yes your not going to get thrown back in your seat like in a Macan Turbo, but the acceleration is more then adequate and your not really left wanting for more power. As for value, there is a lot here. Standard options are plentiful and if you get the premium plus package there is little else your left wanting for. I believe the OP stated he was looking for a 18 CPO. The extra warranty is great but you may just want to consider buying new. Every dealership has a ton of these on their lots, and they are willing to deal. I got nearly 15% of MSRP on a brand new car the last week of November.

The only complaint that I have, if you want to even call it a complaint, is the size. Its perfect for errands and daily trips. However it is not a great family car in terms of size. Fortunately we have full sized SUV for family fun.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:15 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

The Macan base loaners I’ve driven came accross as more luxury oriented than performance oriented. I like them but would chose an S or higher because Porsche does add more of what is expected in a performance version. They have to convince me to buy the more expensive model and they do a good job by differentiating the “feel” between the Macan models in my opinion. So it comes down to expectations and individual taste.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

One thing to consider if you live in a winter climate Mazda’s have a bad tendency to rust. I won’t buy one simply for this reason. Every premium European car I have owned (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche) have been very rust resistant.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:19 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Drive both and compare for yourself. It's always nice to have a Porsche but there is no shame in Mazda. We had a 2016 Mazda 6 that my wife loved more than her 2012 E-Class Mercedes. As an alternative you might want to consider a CPO Macan S for a big performance increase for about the same price.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:56 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks to all the Renn List community who responded to my question on Macan vs Mazda CX 5.
I really appreciate the links to the recent reviews and the real world input fro Macan owners....all very helpful.
I have driven both, and do appreciate the differences between them, but like them both for what they are.
For my use as a daily driver, dog passenger, motorcycle towing, and LONG SNOWY winters, I am going for the CX 5. If I did not have a sweet 991.1 Carerra in the garage, I would have stepped up to a Macan Base or S in a heartbeat!

BTW, on the Mazda rust comment, that has not been my experience with several (Japanese built) Mazdas. The Ford era is, of course, another story!.
Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:01 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Thanks to all the Renn List community who responded to my question on Macan vs Mazda CX 5.
I really appreciate the links to the recent reviews and the real world input fro Macan owners....all very helpful.
I have driven both, and do appreciate the differences between them, but like them both for what they are.
For my use as a daily driver, dog passenger, motorcycle towing, and LONG SNOWY winters, I am going for the CX 5. If I did not have a sweet 991.1 Carerra in the garage, I would have stepped up to a Macan Base or S in a heartbeat!

BTW, on the Mazda rust comment, that has not been my experience with several (Japanese built) Mazdas. The Ford era is, of course, another story!.
Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!
From a logical standpoint, I think you chose wisely.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:18 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Whenever I read discussions here about the “base” (4 cylinder) Macan, I rarely see mention of the ‘Sport Edition’ which is essentially a base vehicle with many performance oriented and some convenience options combined at a reasonable cost (compared to what these same options would cost ala-carte). Some I think argue at that price point you might as well get the S model, but looking on the dealer lots in my area a typically optioned S is still considerably higher.

So for those shopping the 4 cylinders but wanting one perhaps a bit more performance oriented, I recommend checking out the Sport Edition. Most dealers have a number of those in stock too, just as they do the “base” model, and discounts abound.

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 12-20-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

For those of you interested, some cool turbo tech going on:

https://motoiq.com/2019-mazda-cx-5-t...d-tech-dive/3/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me decide...Macan Base vs Mazda CX 5 Turbo