Power source for hardwired V1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 878 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Power source for hardwired V1?

Just got a "new" to me 2017 Macan GTS this AM- one of the first things to do is hardwire for a V1. Any good sources for switched power other than running a wire from the fuse panel??

TIA
Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 AM
wolverine1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Valentine 1 Savvy adapter. It works perfectly and it only took 10 minutes to run the wire along the headliner and pillar and down under the dash.
Check it out on the V1 website.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

I know you you said "other than the fuse panel" but honestly I think this is the easiest way. Just get a direct wire kit from Valentine along with an Add-a-Circuit connection from an autoparts store and tuck the wire under the edge of the headliner and the weatherstripping on the A pillar. It is really fast and you can avoid removing panels on the overhead console. Plus then you can easily add a V1C LE Bluetooth adapter and run V1Driver on your phone. I would literally throw my V1 out the window without the app. It makes the V1 so quiet. It all but eliminates falses! Just do it an thank me later...

I wired to the passenger side fuse panel. This is the fuse I chose after testing them for a switched source. The blue arrow is a convenient ground and the green arrow points to where I stowed the V1C with velcro tape. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2018, 02:07 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Good points sonorous- I had the V1 hardwired in my previous Q5 so the process should be pretty similiar. I was lazy when selling the Q5 and didn't remove the wiring so off to the V1 website...
Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine1
I bought the Valentine 1 Savvy adapter. It works perfectly and it only took 10 minutes to run the wire along the headliner and pillar and down under the dash.
Check it out on the V1 website.
I have the same on two different cars. Super easy installation and the Savvy makes the V1 a much better detector, IMO. Or go with the add-a-fuse route. That's what I did on my previous car.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

I'll add one more note just as information. This is not a criticism of the Savvy route. I understand that that is a very simple way to get power and adds low speed muting. But... Just as a public service message... If anyone wants to push V1 performance to the next level. The V1Driver app includes Savvy emulation and as such gives the same low speed muting without the need for the Savvy hardware. It also adds three additional key features: GPS lockouts, K Band Auto Muting, and K Band Snooze. These features combine to make the V1 very quiet and dependable. The snooze function is a life saver when you are stuck on the highway next to a nasty BSM polluting Acura! I know some don't like the idea of connecting a phone with a V1 but it can be a seamless operation. V1Driver does a great job of connecting in the background. You do not even need to interface with the phone as it can connect and run by itself as long as it is in a position to get GPS signal. I run my phone in view on a mount with the app and Waze running at all times but V1 Driver is actually best as a set it and forget it app. For the price of entry a V1C LE and V1Driver app are worth trying out. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer... YMMV

Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Think I'll go with the wiring set up like I had in my Q5- you lost me about half way thru that last paragraph as I'm still pretty analog! I'm just trying to figure out how to use the Apple Car Play it came with!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skl
Think I'll go with the wiring set up like I had in my Q5- you lost me about half way thru that last paragraph as I'm still pretty analog! I'm just trying to figure out how to use the Apple Car Play it came with!!!
If that method was to tap into the map lights area or rear view mirror, then I wouldn't. There are a ton of clips and wires up there on the Macan. If you are smart phone adverse, then Savvy is the easiest. Literally plug and play. But if you know the most basic hard wiring and don't want to buy the Savvy, then go the add-a-circuit route to the fuse slot that sonorous labeled.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I would advise against the V1 Savvy despite being a huge V1 fan. The Savvy would drain the battery on my M-B E-Class and also on my Subaru Outback. I never tried it in the 911. I do really like the V1 Connection and V1 Driver combo. It's a huge life saver for the V1 which would otherwise lack some very important features available in other detectors.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by achtung6
I would advise against the V1 Savvy despite being a huge V1 fan. The Savvy would drain the battery on my M-B E-Class and also on my Subaru Outback. I never tried it in the 911. I do really like the V1 Connection and V1 Driver combo. It's a huge life saver for the V1 which would otherwise lack some very important features available in other detectors.
I have the Savvy on my 2015 Audi RS5 and 2018 Macan and it doesn't drain the batteries on either.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Got the bluetooth connector and power cords today from V1. Looks easier than adding a remote panel somewhere near the steering wheel. I just put the Rennline phone holder in so the arrows will be reasonably easy to see on the phone.

Will be using your suggestion tomorrow sonorous- thanks.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
Got the bluetooth connector and power cords today from V1. Looks easier than adding a remote panel somewhere near the steering wheel. I just put the Rennline phone holder in so the arrows will be reasonably easy to see on the phone.

Will be using your suggestion tomorrow sonorous- thanks.
Very good, I hope it works out for you. Once you get everything installed I recommend to download the app called V1Driver. There is also an app called V1 Connection which is made by V1. That is important for establishing a connection to the V1 the first time and for changing any settings on the V1 itself. But it is really only an app you will use here or there. It does not add much to daily driving except a remote display.

V1Driver adds GPS lockouts, Savvy emulation, and other great features. It is actually a third party paid app but it is worth it. Thankfully V1 provides open API's for other developers to connect to the V1. There is a demo version if you want to try it first. This is one of the better third party options (and the only one on iPhone) especially if you just want something that works and does not require a lot of adjustment or tweaking. Just let it run and do its thing. It really transforms the V1.

Have fun!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Didn't realize there were two different apps- I already downloaded the one by V1. I don't have Savvy, just the bluetooth connector. Auction week coming up and next week will be crazy so will have to pencil in some garage time!

Quick Reply: Power source for hardwired V1?