Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Any experience with spare tire use?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:02 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Any experience with spare tire use?

I searched and couldn't find a thread on this topic, so here goes:
I'm curious if anybody has actually had to use the inflatable spare wheel/tire in the back of the Macan due to a flat tire.
For those who have, what experience have you had? How useful is that spare wheel/tire, practically? any problems with using it?

thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 12:52 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I had to use mine a couple years ago when I got a flat driving along I-10 here in Houston. Let me tell you, it's a lot of fun changing a tire by the side of the road with cars whizzing by at 70+ mph.

Anyway, yes it works. All the tools you need are in the kit that comes with the car. The hardest part was remembering to keep my speed below 50 mph. The donut isn't the same size as a regular tire and driving too fast can put excessive wear on the transmission as each wheel on the same axle is rotating at different a rate.

I did learn two things, though: 1) You may want to put a set of gloves in the car as your wheel will likely have a lot of brake dust on it and handling it will get your hands dirty which will then get on the steering wheel, etc. 2) You may want to add a bag or something to wrap around the wheel with the flat as that same brake dust, etc. will get on the carpets in the cargo area when you put the flat tire back there to be patched/replaced.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Electric air pump works great. I had to pump up my friend's R8 tire with it. Putting the 12 volt cable back where it came from is a pain.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I had to use mine a couple years ago when I got a flat driving along I-10 here in Houston. Let me tell you, it's a lot of fun changing a tire by the side of the road with cars whizzing by at 70+ mph.

Anyway, yes it works. All the tools you need are in the kit that comes with the car. The hardest part was remembering to keep my speed below 50 mph. The donut isn't the same size as a regular tire and driving too fast can put excessive wear on the transmission as each wheel on the same axle is rotating at different a rate.

I did learn two things, though: 1) You may want to put a set of gloves in the car as your wheel will likely have a lot of brake dust on it and handling it will get your hands dirty which will then get on the steering wheel, etc. 2) You may want to add a bag or something to wrap around the wheel with the flat as that same brake dust, etc. will get on the carpets in the cargo area when you put the flat tire back there to be patched/replaced.
Good post. I keep a bunch of vinyl gloves, as well as a pair of work gloves, in all of my cars for this very reason.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:38 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do always have work gloves in the car just in case and I have the Porsche trunk floor liner but I will stash a plastic shower curtain liner down in the Macan rear storage area (about $6 on Amazon) in case I have to throw a flat tire in there.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rosen39
Electric air pump works great. I had to pump up my friend's R8 tire with it. Putting the 12 volt cable back where it came from is a pain.
I have never used it. Probably a good idea to get it out and check it - soon! I'll take pics of how the 12 volt cable is stored before I remove everything to help me getting it back now that I have read your post. Hopefully that will help.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ottobon100
I do always have work gloves in the car just in case and I have the Porsche trunk floor liner but I will stash a plastic shower curtain liner down in the Macan rear storage area (about $6 on Amazon) in case I have to throw a flat tire in there.
A second vote for old plastic shower curtain liners. Have used those in various vehicles for years to protect the cargo area with everything from tires, to bags of mulch, etc. When done they’re easy to hose/clean off, and fold away small and compact.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any experience with spare tire use?