Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Reasonable price - CPO '17 Macan Base?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Reasonable price - CPO '17 Macan Base?

Considering a Macan Base for the wife. She's currently driving a VW GTI for her daily + she has a 981 Boxster S for the "fun" car and while we were at the dealer over the weekend for a car wash, she mentioned trading in both cars on a Macan. To keep a long story from getting too long, while she LOVES her Boxster, she hates getting sneers from her co-workers ("gee must be nice to have a rich husband to buy you that fancy sports car"). Plus with our son being 14.5 she's found herself in a bind more than a few times when she takes the Boxster to work, only to get a call "I need to be picked up from Lacrosse practice" and she can't fit him + his gear bag in it (plus it's usually an additional surprise, as "pick ME up" actually means "pick ME and my FRIENDS up"). When we put it away for the winter, she misses it but in the end, she says she'd rather have something that's a combo of "zippy" (her words) and still convenient while being able to drive it year round. She says "I really just don't like having TWO cars, I hate bouncing between them. I just want one that does it all." Basically if she can blend the GTI and Boxster into one, she'd be happy. Bonus for me, it'd free up a garage spot + save me a few bucks between payment and insurance + while the GTI has been rock solid, peace of mind of having a warranty again on her DD is also a big plus. The GTI is getting up in age and it's due to be replaced soon, and the warranty ended about a year ago.

Enter the Macan.

So we drove a base over the weekend. I wasn't sure how she'd like it as the last Macan base I drove felt a little poochy, but she did indeed like it - a lot more than I expected. She could tell it wasn't as quick as her GTI but overall she was happy. She was most excited about the heated steering wheel and big roof (as neither of her current cars have the heated wheel and her GTI doesn't have the roof) and AWD. She passed on driving an S since she knew she'd like the power but was overall happy with the base. (I figure I can always toss a tune on the base - seems the 2.0T's are getting ~+50hp or so out of tunes. My guess is that a tuned Macan base should at least FEEL quicker than her stock GTI.)

The dealer has one coming in on trade, customer ordered a car and is waiting for it to arrive. 2017 base, dark blue on black, Premium Plus, heated/cooled seats, big roof, Bose, Nav, heated steering wheel, 19" Turbo wheels, roof rails, few other small things. ~25k on it and CPO'd to late 2022.

Dealer said "probably $45k neighborhood" on the base, he'd call me in a week when he gets it in. He's got a couple 2015 S's for actually a little less money and ~45k on the clock but she generally holds on to cars a while so I'd rather stick to newer and lower miles with a longer life left on the warranty. I've bought a few cars from him and he's generally been fair with pricing so I'm inclined to believe that this is a reasonable starting point.

Checking local inventory at other dealers seems to confirm it's reasonable for a CPO'd 2017. NADAGuides says this is WAY high though. I'm inclined to put more faith in local inventory prices... was surprised to see the NADA difference. But if NADA is more accurate, then good to know I have some room.

Thoughts? Does 45-ish starting point seem WAY out of line, or within margin of negotiation?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:27 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Don't worry about the sneers.
I had a shinny 997 S. Got lots of looks from Honda, Chevy, Subaru drivers.
Lots of, must be nice looks.
But in reality, I paid less for my ten year old 997, that they did for their Civic Si.
Shinny is posh.
Porsche
Shop for what you like. My wife is in a CPO-ed Macan S.
It looks new, has a warranty until oct 2021.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Don't worry about the sneers.
I had a shinny 997 S. Got lots of looks from Honda, Chevy, Subaru drivers.
Lots of, must be nice looks.
But in reality, I paid less for my ten year old 997, that they did for their Civic Si.
Yeah I know. I used to get it at work too. Never bothered me - same reasons you posted. They'd sneer, and then I'd point out that the brand new, fully loaded Honda Accord they just bought cost more. In the end though, I also generally don't care what other people think of me.

It bugs my wife tho and in her line of work it starts to cause real issues. Once they find out she's got a nice car, she winds up being the first sent home, hours cut short, shifts canceled, etc.... and then it comes out, "Well she has a rich husband. She doesn't NEED the hours."

Totally stupid but it gets to her, and I get it. We're both fortunate I make a good living and can provide a lot for our family, but she still has her own things she wants to work for.

Shop for what you like. My wife is in a CPO-ed Macan S.
It looks new, has a warranty until oct 2021.
Nice

Quick Reply: Reasonable price - CPO '17 Macan Base?