Macan 2014-Current

Macan False "Hood open" alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:22 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Macan False "Hood open" alert

Eleven days ago my family and I drove from NY to VA in our 2017 Macan GTS (car has a little over 8k miles on it) to visit my daughter at college for Family Weekend. It was a very rainy night/trip. During the last 80 miles of the trip, an alert went off indicating the hood wasn't fully closed. It made that little "bling" sound about every 3 seconds. We pulled over at a rest area and I got out and opened and re-closed the hood. The alert went away. After 10-15 miles it came back. Opened and closed again, went away again. But it started happening more and more frequently and during the last 15-20 miles it wouldn't stop at all. We arrived at our hotel at about midnight. Fortunately there was a dealership (Porsche of Charlottesville) 3 miles away with service hours on Saturday, so I showed up there with no appointment at 8am when they opened. After sitting all night, the alert had stopped going off. Despite that fact and I was from out of town, they understood the issue, brought the car in right away and a tech started looking for the problem. After a bit of time (and research), the tech explained to me that this is a known issue (there's a service bulletin on it), which requires removing the front bumper and replacing some of the micro switches in the latch mechanisms. It would be an involved repair and one they wouldn't have the parts for on hand, so there was no way to do the repair that day. He tried to adjust the position of the wires as best he could to avoid the shorting problem (I believe that's how he described what he did) so we wouldn't have to drive 350 miles home the next day listening to the alert for 7 hours. Fortunately it didn't happen at all on the way home (which was a dry day with no rain).

Fast forward to today, which was the first day I could get an appointment with my selling dealer. They picked up the car today, will be interesting to see how they approach this issue. When I booked the appointment and described the problem, I gave them the service bulletin number as told to me by the Charlottesville dealer (and written in their service record) but they said they couldn't find such a bulletin. The problem has not reoccurred, but it certainly casts doubt on whether I would take a chance with taking the car on a long trip again. There was no safety issue, it was just the annoying (and unstoppable) issue of the alert going off. I could ignore the alert on the dash, but harder to ignore the sound!

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Macan (and I hear may also be the same issue with Cayennes)?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My local dealer picked up the car, they are familiar with the problem, have ordered the parts needed for the repair and will keep me updated.

All good!
Old 11-07-2018, 05:03 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
My local dealer picked up the car, they are familiar with the problem, have ordered the parts needed for the repair and will keep me updated.

All good!
Kudos to Porsche Charlottesville for getting you in that Saturday and checking it out. Very good crew there! This is one of two dealers in my area that I've purchased vehicles from and had serviced there. Always a positive experience with them.

As for the hood sensor problem itself, I've never experienced it on my Macan or Cayennes. There was one Macan service loaner I had for a while where you really had to slam the hood with more force than is normal to get the alert to go away after opening the hood for any reason. But once shut and underway, no more problems with it.

Please keep us updated with the outcome.

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 11-07-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Quick Reply: Macan False "Hood open" alert