Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Used Uber-Macan. Turbo vs. GTS, and favorite options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Used Uber-Macan. Turbo vs. GTS, and favorite options?

Yes, I know Turbo vs. GTS has been discussed quite a bit, but typically in the context of ordering a new Macan. I was hoping for some discussion from a used purchase perspective...

Target:
Used Macan GTS or Turbo
$60K-$70K.
CPO or at least a year of factory warranty.
Will be modded with Cobb tune, likely an exhaust if doesn't have sport exhaust already.

Great deals on low mileage Turbos seem to be easier to find than GTSs. At similar price points with similar years and mileage, seems like the better choice is the Turbo?

Power/Performance: It also looks like that while Cobb brings the GTS power to near stock Turbo level, if you also Cobb tune the Turbo you spread that gap out quite a bit again.

Options: What are your favorite or must have options? Definitely want Sport Chrono for the PDK mapping, Thoughts on air suspension?
Old 10-31-2018, 03:45 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Yes, I know Turbo vs. GTS has been discussed quite a bit, but typically in the context of ordering a new Macan. I was hoping for some discussion from a used purchase perspective...

Target:
Used Macan GTS or Turbo
$60K-$70K.
CPO or at least a year of factory warranty.
Will be modded with Cobb tune, likely an exhaust if doesn't have sport exhaust already.

Great deals on low mileage Turbos seem to be easier to find than GTSs. At similar price points with similar years and mileage, seems like the better choice is the Turbo?

Power/Performance: It also looks like that while Cobb brings the GTS power to near stock Turbo level, if you also Cobb tune the Turbo you spread that gap out quite a bit again.

Options: What are your favorite or must have options? Definitely want Sport Chrono for the PDK mapping, Thoughts on air suspension?
The GTS vs Turbo dilemma also exists in the Cayenne world where I came from about 5 months ago. For whatever reason, it always seems the GTS models maintain a slight advantage in terms of retaining value and resale.

When I decided to move to a Macan I looked at (and drove) multiple Turbos and GTSs (and some S models for that matter). In the end it came down to finding a rather unique build with some rather unique options that the typical build doesn't have. I also preferred the overall look of the GTS model, inside and out. The only real advantage with the Turbo model from my perspective was the additional power/larger displacement. But the GTS had the preferred overall driving dynamics, again from my perspective. So as is often the case with such things, the answer is "it depends"......it depends on where you place the most emphasis of what you want to get out of this vehicle. Make a list of your priorities and go from there.

As for key options, well that's going to be a matter of opinion too for the most part, but some of the things I wanted and valued were PSE, sport chrono pkg, air suspension w/ PASM, PCM w/ connect Plus, tinted tail lights, blacked out window trim, some of the Exclusive options (colored gauges/seatbelts), carbon fiber interior trim and steering wheel. So the nicely optioned GTS that my salesman brought to my attention clicked all the boxes (he had been on the lookout knowing what I was seeking).

Best of luck in your quest! Please keep us updated.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Turbo vs. GTS

AS with lowering links, PASM, SC, PSE. And, IMHO, the old adage holds: “There’s no replacement for displacement.”
Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Turbo - as noted above...
Old 11-02-2018, 10:05 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a loaded Turbo. You asked about the air suspension - I love it! It rides magnificently. The GTS may have a more sporty-tuned suspension but face it, it is still a 4200-pound SUV. It is not a 911. For sure, it has a Porsche feel and is more 911 than a Cayenne but I have never thought about taking it for a weekend mountain road cruise. That's what my GT3 is for. I use it whenever I need to haul a few passengers or whenever I want to cruise in luxury but without totally adjusting my driving style like I did with my lumbering Yukon. As others said, torque is king on the street - even more so on a heavy vehicle - and the best way to get that is with larger engine displacement.

Obviously your opinion is what matters here so decide what is truly important to you and don't cheap out on price. Sure, initially an $8K or so difference may seem like a lot but you'll forget all about that in a few months. What won't go away however, is that nagging voice in your head wondering what it would be like to have the extra power of the Turbo (it can be tuned too) or those super comfortable 18-ways with ventilation or whatever else makes you happy. Nobody needs a Macan while there's Chevy Traverses available. If you're going to get one, get one that will make you smile every time you get in it. That is money well spent.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Must have Macan options are Sport Chrono and Air Suspension. These are what provides a Macan with dynamic range in the handling context. In normal mode you have a ride with acceptable comfort even on bad roads and then, with SC in Sport, Chassis in Sport Plus+, and AS in low you have a vehicle that seems like it defies physics and is really fun to drive (for a 4200 pound SuV).
Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a loaded Turbo as well; minus PTV and PCCB. I’ll echo what KM states above, the top rung of the ladder is excellent. We never wish we had a GTS, that’s for sure.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I think I'm sold on the Turbo.

If used GTSs where available at the same price reduction from original sticker, I'd consider one, but the prices are too similar to give up the extra power potential for a few bits of alcantara and trim.

Thoughts on target price for a well equipped, low mileage 2017 Turbo? I'm looking at a few...

Example 1:

2017 Macan Turbo, $72K
9K miles
Fresh CPO
$91K sticker
Gray over black full leather
Air Susp w/ PASM
Sport Chrono
PTV
20" wheels
LED PDLS
Burmester
Premium plus
14 way seats
etc.

No PSE, no PCCB's

Last edited by pfbz; 11-03-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:55 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by pfbz
I think I'm sold on the Turbo.

If used GTSs where available at the same price reduction from original sticker, I'd consider one, but the prices are too similar to give up the extra power potential for a few bits of alcantara and trim.
Well, the GTS is a bit more than that certainly, but either of the models is a great choice.

Just bear in mind that in the Porsche lineup for any of their models, the Turbo denotes nearly the top model, with overall emphasis on high performance grand touring. The GTS models are designed as their more enthusiast focused, sport/performance ‘driver’s’ models. Of course then any of the models can be optioned to push them further in one direction or another. Having owned two Turbos (Cayennes) and now a GTS (Macan) I can attest to this.

Again, which one you eventually decide to purchase really depends on your priorities and your personal wants/needs/likes.

Have fun with the hunt and let us know what you ultimately end up with. You really can’t go wrong with either IMO.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:20 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All great and valuable comments...consider this though. Everything else being equal, the Turbo has the worse resale value in the entire Macan line. There must be a reason.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
All great and valuable comments...consider this though. Everything else being equal, the Turbo has the worse resale value in the entire Macan line. There must be a reason.
And you believe that reason is??? What?

The XYZ Porsche Turbo has the worse resale value in the entire XYZ Porsche line.

This is perceived to be a true statement regardless of model.

Is the perception reality? Or is it that humans are, generally as a population, bad at differentiating between depreciation magnitude and depreciation percentages.

It is certainly true that the magnitude of depreciation on Turbo models makes them a great 2-year-old used car buy.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promocop
...the Turbo has the worse resale value in the entire Macan line.
Originally Posted by worf928
...It is certainly true that the magnitude of depreciation on Turbo models makes them a great 2-year-old used car buy....
Agree to both of these statements...

If buying new, I might choose the Macan GTS for reduced first-few-years depreciation (do lease residuals back this up?) as well as lower cost.

If buying CPO, 1-3 model years old, I'll take advantage of all that Macan Turbo depreciation.

I'm much more familiar with Porsche pricing in the 911 model and you see some similarities... GTS versions hold value very well for a while. 991.1, 997.2 GTSs all hold value (resale as percentage of original sticker) better than Carrera and Carrera S models, and far better than the 911 Turbo plummets in the first few years.

But then an interesting thing seems to happen... The (911) Turbos tend to flatten out and even begin to appreciate much sooner than other trim levels. 997.1 Turbos are flat to up. 996 Turbos are definitely up. Now Macan haven't been around long enough to see how they will do when they approach ten years, and will almost certainly not hold their value like some 911s, but it is possible that a 2-year-old Macan Turbo will hold it's value over the next 6 years or so as well or better than a 2-year-old Macan GTS and have less net $ depreciation.

All just a thought exercise, I should buy what excites me and I'll love driving and owning, but I really hate massive depreciation. And while I tend to flip or upgrade my sports cars every couple of years trying something new, I tend to buy/drive/hold my daily drivers much, much longer.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea about the future depreciation.... Long time Porsche (sports car) owner here. Was about to get a Cayenne diesel when I finally decided to give up space to get some handling, maneuverability and feel with the Macan. The base was peppy around town but 4-cyl sounds were a no go for me. The S sounded ok but was no faster around town, felt low on torque, made up for it with revs and on the hwy. But it was the rare SUV/CUV that required working the paddles. The Turbo torque wave felt juuusst right, so I got that one. I do see the attraction of the GTS as a "one car" solution. But it's hard to argue with the turbo drive. I tried both air and steel suspension, prefer the steel with PASM (likely a minority on this one), but I prefer the connected feel and it's not harsh. That's it, the turbo doesn't need to many options, it is just the great version of a very good car.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I opened this thread expecting to read about the decision process of buying a Macan Turbo used as an Uber. Alas I was disappointed...
Old 11-05-2018, 12:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by go.illini
I opened this thread expecting to read about the decision process of buying a Macan Turbo used as an Uber. Alas I was disappointed...

Quick Reply: Used Uber-Macan. Turbo vs. GTS, and favorite options?