Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Used Uber-Macan. Turbo vs. GTS, and favorite options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:26 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
I really like my Turbo but I would happily trade some power for the GTS's handling if I could have gotten a GTS for the same price.
That’s primarily why I chose the GTS versus the Turbo when I was in the market for the Macan. I preferred the overall driving dynamics of the GTS setup, and the ‘GTS look’ as well. Besides, after two Cayenne Turbos, none of these Macans were really ‘powerhouses’ to me anyway!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
That’s primarily why I chose the GTS versus the Turbo when I was in the market for the Macan. I preferred the overall driving dynamics of the GTS setup, and the ‘GTS look’ as well. Besides, after two Cayenne Turbos, none of these Macans were really ‘powerhouses’ to me anyway!
What do you mean by the GTS look? I thought it was just a little lower?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ozziegt
What do you mean by the GTS look? I thought it was just a little lower?
In addition to the look that the slightly lowered suspension provides, the GTS standard exterior content which makes up the distinctive “GTS look” that I mentioned includes the following...

- Black Bi-xenon headlights
- SportDesign body package (w/ lower rear facia and rear diffuser painted in black, and unique front end styling painted in exterior color)
- Gloss Black window trim
- 20” RS Spyder wheels in Satin Black (GTS-specific)
- PSE with black chrome tips
- Rear emblems in Satin Black
- Tinted/black LED taillamps
- Red brake calipers

(Then there’s the GTS specific suspension, powertrain, and interior components which don’t add to the “look”, but make the GTS a unique model)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 AM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting, my turbo has some of those exterior treatments (red calipers, black trim) but not all. I kind of prefer the Turbo body package over the Sport line as well. I agree the whole package makes it look sleeker.

To answer OP's question, regarding some "favorite options" that I really enjoy on my Turbo:
PASM is a must have.
AS is pretty nice too, I wasn't looking for it but I am enjoying it.
Entry and Drive is almost a requirement at this price point
Upgraded seats
I wish I had the Sport Exhaust, the stock exhaust is rather boring. It sounds pretty good when you are standing behind the car and sounds great at startup in the morning, but is otherwise pretty bland when driving.
Roof Rails if you think you will need them, they cannot be installed afterwards.

On the other side, I've found the lane assist to be annoying and I haven't used it since I bought the car.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:31 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine1
Why compromise on the power of the Turbo and the handling of the GTS!?
Get a "Turbo GTS" also known as the Turbo PP. It has more power than the Turbo and the lower suspension, bigger brakes and driving dynamic of the GTS.
Problem solved!
Or get a GTS and add Cobb tune. According to another thread, the GTS has some added suspension tweaks not available on Turbos, but you can easily bring a GTS to Turbo power levels with a tune.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S

Or get a GTS and add Cobb tune. According to another thread, the GTS has some added suspension tweaks not available on Turbos, but you can easily bring a GTS to Turbo power levels with a tune.
Or the best of ALL words - Macan Turbo, Cobb Tune, H&R Air Suspension Module!

Running this exact setup and can confirm I am happier with the handling via this setup than that on a GTS. So no compromises needed

There are ppl that have been able to get the GTS settings on their Turbo through PIWIC (via dealer that is willing to do it or a custom shop). I hear it isn't exactly a breeze to figure out (deeply hidden in the annals of Porsche coding), but can be done.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Lowering alternative

Based substantially on internet discussions regarding “cost/availability/install-operational success”, I had the Airmatic Evo adjustable links installed. A bit of patience and finnigling was required to set initial height/balance setting and a realign, but FWIW, am very pleased with this “mod” application as viable alternative to electronic control module approach.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

I think for most folks the Turbo is probably the better choice though I love my GTS and the subtle changes it has over the rest of the lineup. I will say however dynamically I think PTV and PASM are must haves. I know everyone loves Sports Chrono but I don't think it adds much to the every day feel of the Macan.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by richardbf
I know everyone loves Sports Chrono but I don't think it adds much to the every day feel of the Macan.
Unless you find yourself like I did the other day, sitting at a traffic light next to some bonehead revving his modified F250 diesel like he's on the grid at an F1 race. Normally I let it go these days, but on that particular day.....sport chrono, check......launch control, check.....gone. "BullyDog" chip my a$$!!!

(Sorry , I needed that little rant, I feel better now)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:26 AM
Jay Chulani
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
All great and valuable comments...consider this though. Everything else being equal, the Turbo has the worse resale value in the entire Macan line. There must be a reason.

And some people pay $3000 for Nike sneakers that originally costed $250. There is a reason but certainly one that defies reason and sanity 😃
Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 AM
Jay Chulani
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same dilemma and no regrets with the turbo

I have a turbo with the Sport Design package so a lot of people mistake it for a GTS until they see the turbo badge in the back.

Wife and kids already complain about the harsh ride when I have sport+ mode on (previously rode in a Lexus) so I can't imagine what they would say had I gone with a GTS.

I got the washed oak trim and saddle brown leather so it looks really refined inside. A passenger once said "business on the inside, rockstar on the outside" 😃

Quick Reply: Used Uber-Macan. Turbo vs. GTS, and favorite options?