Macan 2014-Current

Performance Envelope for Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:10 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Performance Envelope for Winter Tires

Hoping for some advice from all the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Pardon the long preface...

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area - not known for it's snowy winters, except for those of us who like to take ski trips to Lake Tahoe of course!

Tahoe excepted, the temperatures here could range to just about near freezing, to the 70s or even 80s during the winter.

I have a Macan GTS with 21's and summer performance tires (OEM P-Zeroes) that I got in March, this car has never seen a winter.

As we know, summer performance tires aren't advisable below 40 degrees.

I've never run with dedicated winter tires but I've had a number of cars with All-Season tires.

I've been considering getting a winter wheel and tire set from Suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...5B19MACSC.html) in the hope that it'll give me more bandwidth during the winter months; including the option of driving to Tahoe of course. However, I am not a skier, so this is not a firm requirement for me, I can always rent a vehicle for the one or two times a year I might want to go.

I live in a condo, so I don't have sufficient garage space to frequently switch wheels and tires - I'm expecting to put them on in November and take them off in March.

Suncoast doesn't specify what brand/type of tire they offer in this package, but generally speaking, I understand that winter tire performance degrades at higher temps.

I do like to drive... spiritedly. I worry that I would be trading good performance for an edge case (occasionally going to a place with snow) for the majority case (driving fairly spiritedly in the chillier winter months).

The question for all of you is whether you think winter tires are really advisable for my use case, or if I should try All-Season tires? Does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Continental DWS (which stands for Dry, Wet, Snow) and get a set of those low profile add-on tire cables in case it gets really bad over the pass while you're up there. The performance of the Contis won't degrade as much as a full snow tire.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (12-01-2020)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 981-GT4
The question for all of you is whether you think winter tires are really advisable for my use case, or if I should try All-Season tires? Does anyone have experience doing this?
Since you can’t keep two sets of wheels and you need non-summr tires 2-ish times per year then go All-Season. Zero reason to run-around on winter tires 363 days per year. They’ll be, comparatively, noisier and shorter-lived than A/S tires if you run-around in what is usually called Summer weather 363/365ths of the time.

We run A/S on our Macan year-round. It’s fine even in deep snow. Assuming the nuts behind your steering wheel are tight, A/S tires will be fine for you too.

Unfortunately the Continental DWS are not available in Macan OE sizes. I shod ours with MICHELIN LATITUDE TOUR HP about two months ago and they seem fine so far.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Given where you live I'd also recommend all-season versus a dedicated set of winter-specific tires. I'm not sure a pure all winter design would be worth it for you. I've been happy so far with the all around performance of the OEM N-spec Pirelli Scorpions (20" size in my case).
Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Go rent a car for a trip to tahoe.
Couple of hundred dollars. Easy.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:49 AM
ducktails
Racer

Thanks all! Great advice.

I'm pretty much settled on OEM N-spec Pirelli Scorpions (with 20" wheels) for my "Winter" tires, to switch back my 21"s with summer tires in March.

I asked the parts dept at a couple of dealers about this, and apparently this request is mind boggling - as they can't sell a wheel set unless it's either summer or winter tires, and ordering wheels and tires individually seems to be a very big hassle.

I guess not too many people switch from Summer to All-Seasons

On to Tire Rack and non-OEM wheels I go...
Old 10-24-2018, 12:58 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Here is another option. No affiliation and not sure if they are still for sale... They are located in your region. https://www.macanforum.com/forum/mac...gn-wheels.html

You could order the tires from TR and have them installed wherever you want...
Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to live in the Bay Area and know Tahoe snow very well. All-seasons would be a bad choice in my opinion; they would be close to useless in the deep snow and frigid temperatures for your jaunts into the mountains, and would sacrifice performance for the majority of your driving in the dry at home. The best option is to swap wheels; you’ll love it in the snow and also love it in the dry.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

A couple of years ago, we purchased the 19-inch Winter Wheel Package from our local dealer. They matched the price from Suncoast. The sales tax vs. the freight from Suncoast was a wash. The wheels came with Dunlop N-rated Winter tires and we've been pleasantly surprised with the ride quality and low noise level. The switch allows us to clean up the 21-inch Turbo wheels for storage and saves them from the ravages of Winter weather, salt, slush, etc., not to mention saving the tread wear on the Summer set. I agree with k3v7n...The peace of mind will be well worth it.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 PM
ducktails
Racer

@sonorous you are the man. Purchased those wheels and got the dealer to fit some Latitude Tour HP’s same day. My 21’s with PZeroes are now stocked away in storage waiting for Spring to return!

I won’t be going into the snow all that often, and will have cables when I do.

Originally Posted by sonorous
Here is another option. No affiliation and not sure if they are still for sale... They are located in your region. https://www.macanforum.com/forum/mac...gn-wheels.html

You could order the tires from TR and have them installed wherever you want...
Old 11-03-2018, 09:23 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

@sonorous you are the man. Purchased those wheels and got the dealer to fit some Latitude Tour HP’s same day. My 21’s with PZeroes are now stocked away in storage waiting for Spring to return!

I won’t be going into the snow all that often, and will have cables when I do.

Wow, I am really glad that worked out for you!
Old 11-06-2018, 03:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I have lots of cold climate friends that don't believe in snow tires.
I suggest they can wear their Stan Smith tennis shoes all year.

981-GT4 - good for you for running snow tire in the mountains.
A dedicated snow tire is the bomb, in the POW. Plus you get to spread your millage over a few sets of tires.
I burn through a set of all seasons, every three years. Running two sets? twice the time.
I doubt in California you will have this discount. Here, snow tires get up to a 5% discount on your insurance.
Every bit counts.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:32 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks all! Great advice.

I'm pretty much settled on OEM N-spec Pirelli Scorpions (with 20" wheels) for my "Winter" tires, to switch back my 21"s with summer tires in March.

I asked the parts dept at a couple of dealers about this, and apparently this request is mind boggling - as they can't sell a wheel set unless it's either summer or winter tires, and ordering wheels and tires individually seems to be a very big hassle.

I guess not too many people switch from Summer to All-Seasons

On to Tire Rack and non-OEM wheels I go...

For two of my P cars I’ve bought used OEM rims on eBay to much success. I like new as much as anybody, but when wheels are for the winter it makes some sense. For our Macan we have Pirelli Scorpions and they work great...my wife even refers to them as a great Xmas present.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:49 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

My macan was worthless in the crap pirelli all seasons.

Got snows (pirelli sottozero) like like for all my other cars, and will switch to summers when the all seasons expire.

Good luck
Old 11-25-2018, 10:05 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
My macan was worthless in the crap pirelli all seasons.

Got snows (pirelli sottozero) like like for all my other cars, and will switch to summers when the all seasons expire.

Good luck
Agreed. Going to buy these for my Macan Turbo riding on 21” wheels.

Quick Reply: Performance Envelope for Winter Tires