Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2018 Vipergreen Macan GTS on lowering link with a few mods!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:28 PM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2018 Vipergreen Macan GTS on lowering link with a few mods!

Hello, I received my PTS GTS last friday and got these mods on in a day.

I did european delivery and I had these parts ordered ahead before the car got here.

- Lowering Links
- Wheel spacers
- Flat 6 Intake kit
- Cobb AP
- Sprint booster
- Window tint

I measured from ground on low setting, 30.25" front, 31" rear. Pretty satisfied with the height.

Spacers I ran ECS brand, 17.5 mm all around. I think it fits perfect.

Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by SpineConnection:
911-140.6 (05-23-2022), Blu311 (01-25-2024), DSC48 (07-16-2021)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Fantastic !
Old 10-10-2018, 04:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Love that green!!! What lowering links u used? The spacers u used is for? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I used a links that I have used before on my other high-end cars,
a company from UK selling a kit for around $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-MAC...72.m2749.l2649

I used ECS brand wheel spacers from their website.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:05 PM
BobPopular
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Originally Posted by Petza914
Fantastic !
Old 10-13-2018, 02:12 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice....I will order. I will need longer lug nuts, correct?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texasviany
Nice....I will order. I will need longer lug nuts, correct?
Lug bolts, but yes - longer by the same amount as the wheel spacer is thick. Also make sure they have the correct seat type for your wheels. The Ti lug bolts from World Motorsports are excellent - I run them on my 997 & Cayenne.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:21 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

I have set up countless race cars but I am clueless when it comes to air suspensions and SUVs. I went to order the links to lower the Macan, and I came across two other lowering options: springs and a software control module. The links referenced above are by far the cheapest and simplest option. Any experts out there who can pro/con the other options. In the end, I want a little better handling. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I have set up countless race cars but I am clueless when it comes to air suspensions and SUVs. I went to order the links to lower the Macan, and I came across two other lowering options: springs and a software control module. The links referenced above are by far the cheapest and simplest option. Any experts out there who can pro/con the other options. In the end, I want a little better handling. Thanks!
Well, if you have air suspension, then lowering springs aren't what you can use. The air suspension is essentially air springs. This is how air suspension works on cars or SUVs. They are pillows that inflate and deflate with an onboard air compressor that is under the driver's seat.

The links are the cheapest and easiest to install but as OP has mentioned, takes a while to adjust to your liking. And it's possible you'll get suspension errors on occasion when topping out or bottoming out the suspension travel. They work by replacing the existing links with adjustable rods to shorten the travel to trick the computer into thinking the car is higher than it actually is and lowers it even more, It's simple mechanics but may mess with the preset software geometries with PASM. I'm no expert but I think it would but minimally unless you are hard tracking.

The modules are probably the best "proper" way to lower but they are expensive, harder to install, not as easily reversible, but do allow on-they-fly adjustments to fine tune unlike links which require removing tires and trial and error.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't know if this works on the newer cars, but on the 955 & 957 Cayennes (up through 2010), you could use a Durametric tool to change and recalibrate the air suspension settings lower than the stock setting. The DIY for that is attached in case it works and is useful.
Attached Images
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Thank you. The company mentioned by the OP now makes an advanced lowering kit where you can adjust the height quickly without taking the new links on and off. I will go that route. Not looking to slam it...just to make a minimal improvement.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:03 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks amazing! It's a nice change from the gray scale I've been seeing.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
The modules are probably the best "proper" way to lower but they are expensive, harder to install, not as easily reversible, but do allow on-they-fly adjustments to fine tune unlike links which require removing tires and trial and error.
As someone that just installed (single-handedly) the H&R Air Suspension module on my Macan T, I can chime in. You are right on some points and not on others.

You are right on:
- that its the best "proper" way to lower IMO, and
- that the kit is expensive (~ $1,800). However, relative to doing an actual suspension swap, it's quite good value actually.

However on the other points, I beg to differ a bit. Namely:
- Install is pretty breezy (no special tools are needed, just accessing the trunk panel and vola - sandwiching in the H&R harnesses between the factory wires and suspension ECU). What is atrocious is H&R install directions - there are 20 pages in German, and a single page in English. Even calling H&R NA HQs yielded that very same single page in English. Sadly with no YouTube videos there was a small amount of guess work needed, but with proper advice/direction (or having done it once!), it is a 20 min job tops.
- It is very easily reversible (in fact you can drive into the dealer and there is a mechanism that allows you to have the module simply be a pass-through, so no way for them to know it's there unless they are looking for it physically).

Right now I am on the H&R out-of-the-box setting, which is about 30-30.25" front and 30.75-31" rear on 21" stock wheels (can lower an additional 20mm if I wanted to, but feel it will be too slammed especially with passengers/cargo). Other than stance and more aggressive looks (running 10mm spacers all around), there are noticeable improvements in driving dynamics and handling (e.g. less 'wobble' during high speed cornering on uneven pavement, which makes perfect sense given lower center of gravity).

BTW - OP - great color, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
As someone that just installed (single-handedly) the H&R Air Suspension module on my Macan T, I can chime in. You are right on some points and not on others.

You are right on:
- that its the best "proper" way to lower IMO, and
- that the kit is expensive (~ $1,800). However, relative to doing an actual suspension swap, it's quite good value actually.

However on the other points, I beg to differ a bit. Namely:
- Install is pretty breezy (no special tools are needed, just accessing the trunk panel and vola - sandwiching in the H&R harnesses between the factory wires and suspension ECU). What is atrocious is H&R install directions - there are 20 pages in German, and a single page in English. Even calling H&R NA HQs yielded that very same single page in English. Sadly with no YouTube videos there was a small amount of guess work needed, but with proper advice/direction (or having done it once!), it is a 20 min job tops.
- It is very easily reversible (in fact you can drive into the dealer and there is a mechanism that allows you to have the module simply be a pass-through, so no way for them to know it's there unless they are looking for it physically).
I'm glad to be corrected in this case! When I was researching, the Cargraphic one seemed to involve some re-pinning. I didn't know H&R offered a true plug and play version.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:23 PM
wss202
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Macan looks great

Do you ever go to the Hunt Valley Cars & Coffee on Saturday mornings? I would love to see your Macan and chat about the upgrades you did. I own an 06 997 C4s in Viper Green by the way.

Quick Reply: 2018 Vipergreen Macan GTS on lowering link with a few mods!