Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Leather dye coming off when cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Leather dye coming off when cleaning?

So I tried using Lexol to clean my red leather armrest today...but quickly noticed that some dye was transferring to my microfiber towel. Needless to say I didn't continue...anyone know what's up with that? Should I use something else? It doesn't seem that having dye transfer is a good thing, I would have expected some layer of protection over the dye.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:15 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve never seen a reputable cleaner like Lexol remove factory OEM leather finish when used according to directions. The only time I’ve seen a cleaner like that do what you describe is on leather that has been refinished post-factory. Strange.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Were you using Lexol cleaner or conditioner.
Cleaner should be sprayed on and lightly agitated with a Mf towel or soft brush, then wiped away
follow with conditioner. I like to ensure leather is warm. Spray it on, lightly wipe seat to remove excess.

Just used on wifes red bmw interior last week. No dye transfer.

How hard were you rubbing?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 PM
ozziegt
Racer

I used Lexol cleaner, sprayed it on a wet MF towel and rubbed it into the leather. I'm the 2nd owner and the vehicle has 60,000 miles so it's entirely possible the previous owner had it "reconditioned" before selling it to me. The door handle in the armrest is a pretty high wear area and the leather is rather thin there. The whole reason I tried cleaning it is because it looks a little "off".

The instructions on the bottle say to agitate until a lather forms so that's what I did.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Ah. Highly likely it was sprayed.

Try same in another less conspicuous area.

Fwiw i had same happen to me with a cashmere colored 911 i have that had bolster dyed. It looks ok but those dyes don’t really last and you have to get them done every now again.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:48 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Where can I get a matching dye? In case I have to do it again, like you mention. I've found some dyes online but none of them have the Garnet Red listed for Porsche.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Where can I get a matching dye? In case I have to do it again, like you mention. I've found some dyes online but none of them have the Garnet Red listed for Porsche.
Not sure where you are in VA, but I’ve had this guy refinish some worn spots on the leather steering wheel of a Cayenne I had and it came out fantastic, very reasonably priced too... https://www.fibrenew.com/loudoun/
Old 10-10-2018, 06:33 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Look at Seat Doctors. I bought OEM red dye for the wife's 2-tone red/black seats in the AMG and also bought OEM cream-beige dye for my 650i. Does not come off. You give them the VIN and they match the leather color perfectly.

Quick Reply: Leather dye coming off when cleaning?