Macan 2014-Current

OEM Macan tow hitch vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 05:58 PM
AviatorTim
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Macan tow hitch vs aftermarket

It seems opinions are like [redacted] and elbows--everyone has a few of them. I'm getting conflicting info from two, different Porsche certified mechanics about installing a tow hitch so I'm looking for a bit of advice.

One mechanic refuses to install anything but the Porsche OEM hitch. He gave me this link (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKMACANHITCH.html). $1100 for a hitch strikes me as absurd.

Another mechanic suggested a Kurt hitch. I found this one via another thread (https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2015_Porsche_Macan.htm)

The other thread was about Cayanne hitches. Not having found a Macan-specific discussion, I'd like to know what hitches other owners are using on their Macans, where they got them, and how they're working out. Any feedback is appreciated.

I guess it's worth mentioning that my plan is to tow a jetski or boat that is yet TBD. So I may be looking to tow close to the maximum rated tow weight.

Speaking of which, I understand that to be 4400#. I've also heard that Porsche publishes a higher weight rating for European Macans. The difference is more than can be accounted for by simply converting kilos to pounds. Does anyone know why European Macans would be rated higher? For example, is Porsche just more conservative for the American market because we're so lawsuit happy here or is there something different about the tranny and/or brakes on the Euro Macans?

Kindly,
Tim

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 09-11-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 12-21-2018, 01:40 PM
redstack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stealth hitch has a great sounding "active wiring harness" which seems to be comparable to the oem wiring harness. But they only have it for Macans not my Cayenne. Too bad
Old 12-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Hitch

Very happy 2 time Stealth hitch customer here.....
Old 12-22-2018, 07:36 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Very happy 2 time Stealth hitch customer here.....
what makes the Stealth hitch different than the OEM hitch and is it worth the price? Thanks
Old 12-23-2018, 12:31 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks for the reference to Stealth Hitch. Do you have the model number, and any other info to share? Tried a web search, and could not find stealth hitch for 2017-18 Macan. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:38 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Thanks for the reference to Stealth Hitch. Do you have the model number, and any other info to share? Tried a web search, and could not find stealth hitch for 2017-18 Macan. Thanks!
Surprised you couldn't find it, first hit when you search 'stealth hitch'. Macan details per link below, looks nice and I like that it mounts below the diffuser vs through it like OEM.

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...2015-2016-2017
Old 12-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Stealth

Completely hidden trick—-depending on year/model, careful cutting/Dremeling the lower valance can “save” the rectangle cut out and easy to reattach/remove for a completely stock/uncut look. Talk to Steve—very helpful and I sent pix showing that on my ‘18 Turbo, would need to “extend” the cut out dimension about 1/2 inch towards drivers side to,have access to trailer light receptacle plug.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:53 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Thanks Vise and Van. I did find stealth hitch website after Google kept diverting me to e trailer....I guess they paid more for ad ranking!
Stealth looks great, better choice than trying to install factory hitch, my dealer quoted $2200 parts and labor!
Thanks again, and Merry Christmas! ��
Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Stealth

FWIW, this install is beyond my personal DIY wheelhouse — recommend that you seek out a good Indy with patience, skills or at least a second set of hands. I
‘helped’ my 20 yr. Porsche wrench and the kit install itself was straightforward, comprehensive and good pix. Recommend getting the wiring receptacle option even if only using for bike rack as once you are in there, the wiring is only an extra 1/2 hour. Without any cut out issue of the valance (possibly Turbo issue only) probably a 3 hour install —mine took longer for reasons explained. Remember measure 3 times, cut once. My recall is my labor charge was $450 or so and well worth it—still a lot cheaper than oem and a great hitch alternative.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Soon as I get rhe Macan, will start the hitch project....unless I can convince my wife to let me use her Nissan Murano for 1-3 motorcycle tows per year. �� Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Is there any concern about the fact that most Macan hitches replace the impact absorber? I know the OEM hitch works the same way but I still feel like it's less safe in rear end collision when there is a solid steel beam instead of the impact absorber.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:07 PM
StealthHitches
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stealth Hitches duplicates Porsches methods of the OEM hitch, as I am sure they optimize the balance between strength of the crossbar for towing and energy absorption,

Regards,
Steve
Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 PM
gfspencer
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Thanks! Soon as I get rhe Macan, will start the hitch project....unless I can convince my wife to let me use her Nissan Murano for 1-3 motorcycle tows per year. �� Thanks again!
I made sure that my new Macan came with a factory installed hitch . . . just so I could tow a motorcycle every now and then.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:11 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Please don't stone me, but I believe there was a very long write up on Macanforum by a guy that did the Stealth hitch. From what I remember, it looked pretty cool and was hidden really well.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey guys, anything else, read your manual about max tow rating, folks. At least with the 4-banger, the 4,400# is WITH BRAKES. Without brakes, like most jetski and motorcycle trailers, it's only 1,600+. Didn't see different ratings for 4 and 6-cil, but could remember wrong. And I think that goes whether spring or air suspension (and the Audi Q5s have the same ratings). Now, I was told it was very expensive and intrusive to do the hitch after the fact, and that $2,200 quote confirms the former. I wouldn't want my brand new vehicle torn apart for that either, especially when it only costs $660 from the factory. Need to go check if the freaking wiring is there; it better be. Ha ha.

Quick Reply: OEM Macan tow hitch vs aftermarket