What to expect...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question What to expect...

Hi Guys!

Haven't been here for a while now. At least 2 years I think. Long story short, my (my wife's) Macan is getting to about warranty expiry mileage. I called the dealer for extended warranty and they want to shaft me $8K for 36K miles/36 months. I'm sitting here thinking: What could possibly go wrong in 3 years? I'm thinking not much really, and whatever goes should not be in that price territory either if it is done by a good non-dealer mechanic. PS pump? AC Pump? Rack? Water pump? I think most of these should go beyond 100K miles since my wife does most of the driving during the week. So, I'm curious what other Macan owners have experienced? PDK is supposed to be solid. So what do you think? Screw the extended warranty? Thanks!!!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

The transfer case is failing often.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
The transfer case is failing often.
I was gonna mention this one. The Macan TCs don’t seem to be failing nearly as often as the 958 gen Cayennes, but then they’re generally newer too. Time will tell overall. On the Cayenne that’s about a $4-5k replacement job at a dealer. I’d assume the Macan cost is similar?

You just never know. I had some items go on my CTT that I wouldn’t have expected, like a turbo and a replacement instrument cluster.....crazy expensive items! It would have been painful without my warranty.

It really comes down to what your tolerance is for these sort of things outside of warranty coverage, and your peace of mind.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My Cayenne's AWD transfer case was replaced under CPO... almost $7k. Now, dealer told me Porsche is eating most of these. He had seen one with over 100k on a 3rd owner and Porsche took care of it. Of course I'm sure some owners have not been so lucky.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

PDK is the big worry as its not really serviceable for the most part, which makes it a replacement proposition at north of $10k and there are some documented failures of PDK transmissions in all models.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Since I've owned Porsches, I've always maintained that I wouldn't own one out of warranty. It's not that they're terribly unreliable (better than many actually), but just a service visit or two can be wildly expensive, even for components that you wouldn't think to be so 'exotic'.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. I think considering all the input, I'll take my chances. My wife doesn't drive the car too aggressively - as far as I know - and I'd image transfer case and PDK failures would occur in isolated cases and I assume in very aggressive driving. It's precisely why I usually don't like to buy AWD, automatic sports cars - less headache later. The Macan was an exception to the rule as I loved the car and the brand overall usually provides better reliability than some other 'exotic' cars.

BTW, I replaced the front side marker bulb yesterday and there is a little hole in the wheel well for you to push clamp so you can remove the marker light but unless you open the wheel well cover, you have no way of knowing how to insert the screw driver to reach it. It is both bizarre and stupid, but it's done. :-/
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
PDK is the big worry as its not really serviceable for the most part, which makes it a replacement proposition at north of $10k and there are some documented failures of PDK transmissions in all models.
Just a side note, the PDK in the Macan is actually the Audi DSG with different software. It’s not like any other Porsche PDK transmissions. So failures in other models do not apply.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B

Just a side note, the PDK in the Macan is actually the Audi DSG with different software. It’s not like any other Porsche PDK transmissions. So failures in other models do not apply.
Thanks for the info. There have been a few Macan failures I'm aware of though. Is the Audi/Macan one any more serviceable than the other Porsche ones, or is it pretty much complete replacement too if it fails out of warranty?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Do not get a Porsche warranty. Calm endurance and you can get it for 1/2 that.

I went bare and in 30k miles only repair is a wheel bearing for $600. So I'm still ahead. And I could have done the bearing for <$200
Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

There are several discussions on other Boards about oil leaks in the 6-cylinder engines. Around the timing chain cover seems to have happened to a few owners. Apparently, this is very expensive as the engine and transmission need to come out.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:04 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Vehicle Extended Service Contract

Originally Posted by Rubik
.... I called the dealer for extended warranty and they want to shaft me $8K for 36K miles/36 months. ...;
Research on Rennlist is your friend. There are several excellent threads as to Extended Vehicle Service Contracts; my humble suggestion is that you read those threads for educational purposes, before proceeding. See one thread at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-here-12.html

Long Story Short, But Hopefully You Will Not Stop Here. You can get an Extended Mechanical Failure Service Contract (often called an extended warranty by buyers). Contact the Finance Manager (was Scott Larson @ 503.601.3053) at Sunset Imports (Porsche) in Beaverton OR. You need to purchase the Contract before the original manufacturer's warranty or CPO warranty expires. That dealer (along with many other marque dealers) offers Fidelity Warranty Services Inc., extended vehicle protection coverage (aka Mechanical Failure Service Contract) at five levels of coverage and with deductibles that you can select. Sunset gives a Rennlist discount, so identify yourself as a Rennlist member. In 2017, I purchased an additional six (6) years and 72,000 additional miles over my vehicle's odo reading for far less than your dealer's $8,000 premium for a three year contract and an additional 36,000 miles. Other than purchasing two contracts for my vehicles, I have no interest in Fidelity or Sunset. Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 08-24-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add; msp
Old 08-25-2018, 02:26 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Hi Guys!

Haven't been here for a while now. At least 2 years I think. Long story short, my (my wife's) Macan is getting to about warranty expiry mileage. I called the dealer for extended warranty and they want to shaft me $8K for 36K miles/36 months. I'm sitting here thinking: What could possibly go wrong in 3 years? I'm thinking not much really, and whatever goes should not be in that price territory either if it is done by a good non-dealer mechanic. PS pump? AC Pump? Rack? Water pump? I think most of these should go beyond 100K miles since my wife does most of the driving during the week. So, I'm curious what other Macan owners have experienced? PDK is supposed to be solid. So what do you think? Screw the extended warranty? Thanks!!!
Take the 8K, put it in a conservative fund and use it as a self-insurance policy.

Quick Reply: What to expect...