Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Old 04-26-2023, 12:46 PM
wbferran
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had two occasions so far when I saw a drop or two of oil on the garage floor. The dealer told me the timing chain cover was leaking. While none of us want any leaks, this one seems relatively harmless in comparison to a “fix” that itself sounds a bit suspect.

I am somewhat inclined to just leave it be, unless it is going to get worse and worse over time. The one indie in town who will work on my car told me yesterday he has decided not to touch that particular repair. So that leaves me with the dealer to repair the leak, but it sounds like even the repair is no guarantee.

Can you see any major downside of just letting it go for now? Thx
Old 04-26-2023, 12:53 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wbferran
I have had two occasions so far when I saw a drop or two of oil on the garage floor. The dealer told me the timing chain cover was leaking. While none of us want any leaks, this one seems relatively harmless in comparison to a “fix” that itself sounds a bit suspect.

I am somewhat inclined to just leave it be, unless it is going to get worse and worse over time. The one indie in town who will work on my car told me yesterday he has decided not to touch that particular repair. So that leaves me with the dealer to repair the leak, but it sounds like even the repair is no guarantee.

I don't see a major downside but be aware that there is a large semi-absorbent cover under the whole engine area that will absorb quite a bit of oil before any leaks. So if you're seeing drops on your floor then there's likely quite a bit more leaking than you might think.

If I had know about this kit I wouldn't have had the dealer repair it, I would have just done it myself. The instructions that come with it are quite clear...
https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...solution-macan

Old 04-26-2023, 12:55 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by wbferran

The oil will eventually get all over the accessory drive pulleys and belts, deteriorating the belts and possibly causing them to slip. The main components that get covered in oil is the AC compressor if leaking from the left side or the alternator if leaking from the right side so maybe those can get damaged. No telling how long that would take to happen though. In the grand scheme of things, this issue is definitely more of an annoyance than catastrophic.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:59 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Seapbmw
I had the same issue with our 2017 GTS with 80k miles, I passed on the valve cover leak as this sounded like a money making opportunity for Porsche and opted for the 2-bolt steel bolt valve timing cover repair. Porsche refused to help in any way, I had the dealer do the $850 repair.
Even though seepage was documented when mine was still under factory warranty, Porsche still wouldn't good will the $800 timing cover repair. I had a valve cover leak earlier that was covered under factory warranty. My valve cover leak was worse than my timing cover leak.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

When it (timing chain cover) was fixed the first time, the tech should have used a strong flange sealant (mine used something - I forget which - in the Loctite 5xxx series) to ensure that it would stay sealed even if some bolts broke again. Or, should have used steel bolts.

If it’s leaking a second time after a year or three I would be very, very interested in making someone else pay for the re-repair.

Check back to the dawn of this thread when I had ours done under CPO. 2018? So, 5 years now, all good.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:45 PM
Silversurfr
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Known issue

Here is my experience as a 2016 S owner of six years with 52k miles. Front clip pulled twice for this issue. At 30 and 50k miles. 40k in warranty repairs. When it was repaired at 50k miles the dealer had 7 Macan S of the 2015-2017 in for the same repair issue. No update to the fix just put it back the same way. The 2018 S and beyond have the same specifications but a different engine. Wonder why. A month before the warranty expired I traded it straight across for a Rav 4 and ordered a Cayman GTS.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:57 AM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sddynamix
Does anyone have the part numbers for the updated spacers/bolts?

I saw N-910-971-01 for the bolt, and 999-025-193-30 for the spacer but the bolt is coming up as a passenger airbag mount bolt (and isn't listed as compatible with a Macan)
Can anyone confirm these are the correct numbers for the new bolt and spacer?
Old 05-25-2023, 02:30 PM
wbferran
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I took my car in for an airbag recall issue, the dealership noted the leak. Their “fix”, before escalating, was to replace some bolts with an upgraded part. That cost around $1300. Their track record for success for that fix resolving the leak is running around 75%. If that doesn’t work, then they get into the timing chain cover, gasket, etc. That fix is around $20,000. Unfortunately, my local indie wont touch that repair and he is the only indie in town who will do anything on Porsches.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:02 PM
sduggs95
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
When it (timing chain cover) was fixed the first time, the tech should have used a strong flange sealant (mine used something - I forget which - in the Loctite 5xxx series) to ensure that it would stay sealed even if some bolts broke again. Or, should have used steel bolts.

If it’s leaking a second time after a year or three I would be very, very interested in making someone else pay for the re-repair.

Check back to the dawn of this thread when I had ours done under CPO. 2018? So, 5 years now, all good.
did they use steel bolts on yours?

assuming they did the entire reseal?
Old 08-13-2023, 12:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by sduggs95
did they use steel bolts on yours?

assuming they did the entire reseal?
My tech used the aluminum fasteners as per the parts catalogue as of 2019. But, as I wrote above he used a strong oil-friendly sealant. Half my chain cover bolts could snap and it’s not going to leak.

Yes, they resealed the whole thing. Engine was out. Pretty sure I posted a picture of that.

This is where my long-ish post on the subject start:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post15794199

Last edited by worf928; 08-13-2023 at 03:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)