Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 06:18 AM
interger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The leak is found as well

I had my 20k service done at a German specialized auto shop and they found leaks as well. Apparently they also know of the timing cover leak. Here are some photos.

Will be making an appointment and hopefully they will correct it.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:53 AM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Made an appointment with the dealer to get the leak repaired. I was told that replacement of the original bolts with longer bolts is the first “fix” and that works most of the time. I can understand Porsche wanting to avoid pulling the engine if it isn’t necessary. But, I anticipate they will be pulling the engine based on the amount of oil evident in the engine bay. So far no pushback on them doing work under warranty.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Auric
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Auric
- Checked my wife's car (2015 CPO Macan S with ~ 40K miles) and saw a quite of bit of oil in the passenger side by the radiator hose.
- Also saw this by what I think is between the block and the timing chain cover:

- Called the local dealer and mentioned the above. Will be taking vehicle soon to have inspected.
- They didn't sound to surprised, but I was concerned by their response. Told me it depended on "how bad" it leaked before they fixed it
- The engine cover (the one on the bottom of the car) is not "drenched" but one can appreciate "dried oil" on the cover and near the radiator hose it's quite oily (an ongoing drip?)
- Never seen this kind of seepage on any of my previous vehicles including my track car that lives > 8K RPM
- The car has been serviced by the local dealerships (since it's CPO, I want to avoid any kind of denial)

- Do you guys here feel like a "threshold" of leakiness is needed before repair?
- So my wife took the Macan to have it looked at the local dealership.
- She was told that:
- a) its common
- b) Porsche isn't fixing it until it dripping
- c) that seepage is normal and is due to dissimilar materials ( which is horse ****)
- d) that they'd keep an eye on it on the next oil change

- So what to do next?
- I know it's not normal.
- Take more pictures, print them out, and take the car myself or roll over?
- Is this something I can escalate, and to whom?
- Take the car over the next town over and see what they think?
- How much control do dealerships have over warranty work?

Last edited by Auric; 09-08-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Auric
- So my wife took the Macan to have it looked at the local dealership.
- She was told that:
- a) its common
- b) Porsche isn't fixing it until it dripping
- c) that seepage is normal and is due to dissimilar materials ( which is horse ****)
- d) that they'd keep an eye on it on the next oil change

- So what to do next?
- I know it's not normal.
- Take more pictures, print them out, and take the car myself or roll over?
- Is this something I can escalate, and to whom?
- Take the car over the next town over and see what they think?
- How much control do dealerships have over warranty work?
It leaks and it shouldn't. I would get very loud and nasty. Start with https://contact.porsche.com/usa/dial...ion/contactus/
Old 09-08-2019, 10:57 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Find another dealership. If you can... And then another; and another until you get the answer you want to hear. Don't roll over. And DOCUMENT.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

This post has been dormant.

Has anyone had a re-occurrence after a fix?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
This post has been dormant.

Has anyone had a re-occurrence after a fix?
I’ll be changing the oil in the next few weeks which will give me the opportunity to inspect.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:23 PM
keiko
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Porsche Confirmed My 2016 Macan S Timing Cover Leak

HELP My warranty was expired on September 2019. My 2016 Macan S is 37000km . In July i already noticed that there are some engine oil on my timing cover with 34000km. I went on a business trip after and I didn't have time to bring it in to the dealer to check and my 3rd maintenance service is coming on this month. I just brought the car to the dealer yesterday and after 1 day checking, they confirmed my timing cover is leaking and they are willing to cover the large portion of the repair, but i still have to pay $1500+tax by myself. The dealer told me if i am not happy with the offer i can contact PORSCHE CAR NORTH AMERICA. Since i read the forum and found that this is a known issue for a macan timing cover to leak and that I have discovered the leaking before the warranty expired, but now they told me that since my warranty is already expired 2 months , i have to

pay to fix. what should i do guys? HELPs
Old 10-24-2019, 09:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Take the first offer? Or call PCNA.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 PM
///Bruce
Pro

If it were me.... that oil leak is older than two months! It just didn’t start last month. Get your butt back to that dealership and speak DIRECTLY with the GM. State exactly what I said and stop talking. Hold your ground!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

The cost to fix this may be as much a six times what you are being charged. I bet next time you may be a little more aware of what should have been done while you still had the warranty. You are receiving a substantial favor.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:05 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
The cost to fix this may be as much a six times what you are being charged. I bet next time you may be a little more aware of what should have been done while you still had the warranty. You are receiving a substantial favor.
I agree with this. The issue may have been discovered before warranty expiration but owner didn't report it until after. Owner has a responsibility to report issues as well. May still be worth a shot contacting PCNA, but I think the dealer is doing a good will favor larger than what PCNA would do until there is an actual official warranty extension for this issue.
The following users liked this post:
wwahl (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:32 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Listen up readers: GROW SOME *****! If you send your wife (and I mean this with all due respect) they will be treated as an idiot. Because they’re girls/women and don’t know crap. Not like men do....

That’s sarcasm. I mean this from the bottom of my mechanical heart (worked as a mechanic in a State Inspection Station starting at age 13...in So. Philly), DON’T TAKE “NO” FOR AN ANSWER!

You get in there and work your way up the food chain until you get the answer you want. And if you send your wife because ‘you don’t have time’ is a cop out and you get what you deserve: a big friggin’ bill.

Your choice.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:48 PM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in on the oil leak. As for the data point, my '17 GTS has 19.5k miles. I'll be bringing it in and the dealer says they'll take care of it. I'll have a chat with the service manager and the foreman to get a better idea of how we can deal with it if the problem comes back after the CPO warranty expires. I'll keep you all posted.

Terrance

Old 12-02-2019, 03:47 PM
SilverBullets
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the list. 2016 Macan Turbo with 22k miles. We purchased it from a super high end indie dealership in March 2019 with 18k miles (one owner car). When we purchased the car, it had 6 months of the factory warranty left (expired at the end of August).

Over labor day, after a 800 mile road trip, the oil level light turned on. I added half a quart thinking no big deal as we just got back from a long road trip and a service was due relatively soon. Flash forward to last week and the light turned on again. I check under the car and sure enough there's seepage plus one or two drips on the ground. One thing I noticed is if we drive the car until it fully heats up, then park it, we will have no seepage or oil spots (everything will look bone dry)…. but if we turn it on, drive it for a few minutes without it getting up to temperature, then park it, it will leak like crazy.

It goes to the dealership in 2 weeks. I have a great indie mechanic who takes care of my Cayman and Touareg but his recommendation was to start at the dealership and try for a Hardship repair.

We shall see.....

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)