Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 06:44 AM
1stMacan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst nightmare

This just happened to me after purchasing my used 2016 Macan S at 53000 miles from an independent dealer. I am a first time Porsche owner and after owning 7 prior BMWs (5 series and X5) I was familiar with high cost repair but was not expecting this. I purchased the car did my own inspection as I had done with all my car purchases, I looked all around as best I could in the engine for fluid leaks, drove it around twice, it looked and felt great. I as soon as drove it off the used car lot I took it to the Porsche dealer to get the whole Porsche experience and for its 50,000 mile maintenance. After 30 minutes of sitting in the Atlanta Porsche waiting room with my family all excited about our new purchase the service representative came in with a huge frown saying I had a huge problem that would require engine removal to fix a oil leak caused by a front bolt cover that would cost $8k. You can imagine our reaction. Over the past 20 years of BMW ownership we were no strangers to costly repairs but those occurred after years of use and with abvious signs but never would I have expected this from a fully functioning 3 year old car. I've been reading all the forums with desperation. I don't plan to do the repair at this time so now have to hope this doesn't get worse. The photo is of my car bringing in to the Porsche dealer, on the right is another customers Macan Turbo my excitement would quickly end.

Last edited by 1stMacan; 07-19-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-20-2019, 01:04 AM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

^ oh no!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry dude. I'm on the other board asking a very specific question right now:

Who has had this happen outside the normal 4/48 and had a 2nd party warranty company cover this? Even if it's through Porsche, and not a Porsche-specific extended warranty, what was the name of the company that covered this specific claim?

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Porsche should cover all of these. Total BS. Thank goodness mine was a lease and covered under warranty and taking ONE MONTH to fix at the dealer. Was very happy turning it back in when the lease was up a few weeks ago.

The Macan's are so overpriced now. Better options out there.

Last edited by STG; 07-21-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
Porcshe should cover all of these. Total BS. Thank goodness mine was a lease and covered under warranty and taking ONE MONTH to fix at the dealer. Was very happy turning it back in when the lease was up a few weeks ago.

The Macan's are so overpriced now. Better options out there.
I hear ya. I'd loose my rear if I tried to resell now. Hell, an X3 Comp has 500+HP now. Almost everything does. It's the days of HP Wars...
Old 07-24-2019, 09:51 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I called Geico today and talked to a young man regarding my MBI (Major Breakdown Insurance) coverage. I asked him SPECIFICALLY about this problem and about a SPECIFIC situation. Namely, if I hit the 4/48 limit and I then discover the infamous oil leak would they cover it. The answer was YES. They would. This is considered a mechanical failure in that the bolts are breaking which is causing the leak and not because of a faulty seal or gasket.

I pay an additional $20/mo for 'ease of mind'. And, if I keep it longer than 4 years or 48 months, I'm covered. If not, it's $240 x 4 years; approximately a grand loss. I'm okay with that too.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I called Geico today and talked to a young man regarding my MBI (Major Breakdown Insurance) coverage. I asked him SPECIFICALLY about this problem and about a SPECIFIC situation. Namely, if I hit the 4/48 limit and I then discover the infamous oil leak would they cover it. The answer was YES. They would. This is considered a mechanical failure in that the bolts are breaking which is causing the leak and not because of a faulty seal or gasket.

I pay an additional $20/mo for 'ease of mind'. And, if I keep it longer than 4 years or 48 months, I'm covered. If not, it's $240 x 4 years; approximately a grand loss. I'm okay with that too.
I'm not surprised. I've been with Geico for decades and on the vehicles where I've had the Mechanical Breakdown Coverage, it's never failed to cover anything. Great additional coverage for relatively little money.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:05 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I first used them in early 1977 when I returned from my last tour in Southeast Asia. I owned four cars back then and it cost me an extra $20/month each for minimum liability insurance. Oh, how times have changed.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:56 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I first used them in early 1977 when I returned from my last tour in Southeast Asia. I owned four cars back then and it cost me an extra $20/month each for minimum liability insurance. Oh, how times have changed.
Interesting, I've been with them also since '77 when I got my own policy after being on my parent's Geico policy for a couple years.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 AM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While looking for information on the new Macan, I stumbling onto this thread. afterwards, I checked my wife's 2016 Macan S only to find oil covering many of the components in the lower left front area of the engine.
My dealer had many chances to find and report/correct this issue, but didn't (transfer case replacement, A/C compressor replacement and a recent oil change).
Fortunately, the car is still under warranty.
Now the question is, do I take it there or one of the other 2 local Porsche dealers.
My thanks go out to all those that posted here.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by houstonbuckeye
Fortunately, the car is still under warranty.
Now the question is, do I take it there or one of the other 2 local Porsche dealers.
My thanks go out to all those that posted here.
Under warranty you can take it to whichever P dealer you prefer and feel comfortable with.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Update on my car. Apparently Porsche “updated their warranty” and my leak is not covered under warranty yet because it doesn’t drip or pour out fast enough. The technician got “in trouble” for originally telling me about the leak and was told he wasn’t supposed to.
I smell class action lawsuit IF this is correct.
2016 Macan S warranty till December. Sent the car out for reconditioning and detail and was found to be leaking from the Timing Chain cover.
26,000 miles.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:09 PM
Auric
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

- Checked my wife's car (2015 CPO Macan S with ~ 40K miles) and saw a quite of bit of oil in the passenger side by the radiator hose.
- Also saw this by what I think is between the block and the timing chain cover:

- Called the local dealer and mentioned the above. Will be taking vehicle soon to have inspected.
- They didn't sound to surprised, but I was concerned by their response. Told me it depended on "how bad" it leaked before they fixed it
- The engine cover (the one on the bottom of the car) is not "drenched" but one can appreciate "dried oil" on the cover and near the radiator hose it's quite oily (an ongoing drip?)
- Never seen this kind of seepage on any of my previous vehicles including my track car that lives > 8K RPM
- The car has been serviced by the local dealerships (since it's CPO, I want to avoid any kind of denial)

- Do you guys here feel like a "threshold" of leakiness is needed before repair?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

The threshold is that if it is seeping (as yours is), then the repair needs to be made.

When my Macan was in the shop for the timing chain cover repair, they also replaced the valve cover gaskets,
I'm assuming as a preventive measure.

500 miles after having the Macan returned to me, I removed the cover to have a look and found everything to be nice
and dry. The day after I got it back, I took off the engine cover to check out all of the new Torx bolts - that I could see
from that viewpoint.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2019, 11:53 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I did an oil/filter change today and as usual looked for the infamous leak. I noticed 'something'. Not bad, but there's something there. It's like there was a very fine mist of oil that was exposed to dirt. I ran my finger over it and came away with more dirt than oil. I wiped it down and will check it again in another 5K miles and make a decision then whether to let someone mess with my Macan by being forced to pull the engine and tie me up for 3 weeks regardless of the type loaner I get.

I'd love to install some down pipes and racing cats, but a dealership would never go for that. I'm not sure I would trust an independent to perform the job of pulling the engine. The upside would be they would install the aftermarket peices...

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)