Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE;15902403[u
]

That's a significant number (though minor when compared to the total number of Macans sold). Of course
not everyone participated in online forums, etc.
True, and the fact that those that never have a problem are not vocal, never heard from. The overall percentage of owners aren't hard core enthusiasts anyway and thus not participating in forums, especially with the Macan.

One of the two Porsche dealers I use has had 4 Macans they've serviced with this problem thus far. The SA tells me many have remained problem free. So in the end, the best we can all do is just keep monitoring our own vehicles, knowing that the problem is a real possibility. And if it does happen, hope you're still under warranty. Every time mine goes to the dealer for any service/maintenance, my tech inspects mine.

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 06-12-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Mrg0721
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
True, and the fact that those that never have a problem are not vocal, never heard from. The overall percentage of owners aren't hard core enthusiasts anyway and thus not participating in forums, especially with the Macan.

One of the two Porsche dealers I use has had 4 Macans they've serviced with this problem thus far. The SA tells me many have remained problem free. So in the end, the best we can all do is just keep monitoring our own vehicles, knowing that the problem is a real possibility. And if it does happen, hope you're still under warranty. Every time mine goes to the dealer for any service/maintenance, my tech inspects mine.
Well you can add my partner’s 2017 Macan S to that list. I did an oil change about almost two months ago (estimate) when I noticed the oil leak. I don’t know much about Porsche, this one being the first one I ever touched, as I am a BMW guy actually. Anyways, my first thoughts were “I wonder where the leak is from” and “how the heck will they fix this since it’s extremely tight in there.” Well finally convinced my girlfriend to take her Macan to the dealer last week to get it taken care of. Next day the service advisor gets in contact with her and tells her that in fact there are oil leaks and it will be at least a few days because guess what...the engine has to come out. Fast-forward to Tuesday when dealer calls and says vehicle is ready for pick up. Looking at the work order it says two timing cover gaskets were replaced as wells as screws and two valve cover gaskets along with some screws for that were replaced as well. Vehicle currently has 30k miles. And yes, service advisor did mention that they’ve dealt with a few others with the same issues.

The following users liked this post:
ottobon100 (07-23-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg0721
Well you can add my partner’s 2017 Macan S to that list. I did an oil change about almost two months ago (estimate) when I noticed the oil leak. I don’t know much about Porsche, this one being the first one I ever touched, as I am a BMW guy actually. Anyways, my first thoughts were “I wonder where the leak is from” and “how the heck will they fix this since it’s extremely tight in there.” Well finally convinced my girlfriend to take her Macan to the dealer last week to get it taken care of. Next day the service advisor gets in contact with her and tells her that in fact there are oil leaks and it will be at least a few days because guess what...the engine has to come out. Fast-forward to Tuesday when dealer calls and says vehicle is ready for pick up. Looking at the work order it says two timing cover gaskets were replaced as wells as screws and two valve cover gaskets along with some screws for that were replaced as well. Vehicle currently has 30k miles. And yes, service advisor did mention that they’ve dealt with a few others with the same issues.

That is a scary discovery. Can you imagine what the cost would be if you had to pay for this?
Old 06-14-2019, 03:32 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by wwahl
That is a scary discovery. Can you imagine what the cost would be if you had to pay for this?
MILLIONS!!!! <insert evil laugh here>
Old 06-15-2019, 12:09 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

CarGuy NVA has a point. Not everyone uses this or any other forum. HOWEVER, when you look at the number of people that use this forum and others, the numbers having leaks are high enough to warrant closer scrutiny. Put that in perspective I believe there are sufficient numbers of people that are having this same issue. Now whether Porsche does anything about this is a different story.

I asked a question some time ago and never received a response from anyone. And that is how many, if any, have experienced an oil leak AFTER the issue was corrected. Anyone have this problem yet?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I asked a question some time ago and never received a response from anyone. And that is how many, if any, have experienced an oil leak AFTER the issue was corrected. Anyone have this problem yet?
Perhaps you received no answer due to the construction of your question: those that haven't - yet - experienced a 're-leak' didn't respond.

We have not experienced a 're-leak.' But, it's only been two-ish months and not too many miles. I think any conclusion based on answers to your question will need to wait for a year or more and thousands of miles for each effected 95B.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I hear what you're saying. Not sure how to rephrase it any better. However, you have been the first to respond. Thank you.

I hope there will not be any more leaks once the problem is fixed properly. If that is the case, it shows me that if the job had been done correctly in the first place no one would be talking about "cautionary oil leaks". This is an assembly problem.

Another question comes to mind: The new bolts that are being used to correct the timing chain cover... are they in any way different from the ones removed?????

Someone posted a pic of all the parts used in the repair (of his wife's Macan?). It shows the new bolts used. Just wondering out loud.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:23 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
I hear what you're saying. Not sure how to rephrase it any better. However, you have been the first to respond. Thank you.

I hope there will not be any more leaks once the problem is fixed properly. If that is the case, it shows me that if the job had been done correctly in the first place no one would be talking about "cautionary oil leaks". This is an assembly problem.

Another question comes to mind: The new bolts that are being used to correct the timing chain cover... are they in any way different from the ones removed?????

Someone posted a pic of all the parts used in the repair (of his wife's Macan?). It shows the new bolts used. Just wondering out loud.

My understanding is that they are using the same Torx bolts as originally used and tightening them to a lower torque spec.

Looking at the Porsche website, I read the following:
The warranty period for Porsche parts which are used in connection with warranty work ends contemporaneously with the warranty period
for the purchased item which has become defective;

What are we to make of this statement? My understanding of contemporaneously is "during/at the same time". Does this mean the parts
replaced under warranty are covered:

• up to the 4 year/50K mile warranty of your newly purchased vehicle
or
  • up to the 6 year/100K mile warranty of your CPO purchased vehicle

Porsche parts used outside of warranty work are covered for 2 years.

It's curious why parts replaced under warranty would receive different coverage. Is this to prevent coverage of a second warranty claim
for the same issue?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
It's curious why parts replaced under warranty would receive different coverage. Is this to prevent coverage of a second warranty claim
for the same issue?
If I were to guess and be constrained only to answers reflecting non-nefarious motivation i.e. they (PAG/PCNA) are not *actively* trying to screw us...

GAAP accounting standards suggest that estimates of future warranty claims be accrued as an expense. Maybe this make it less complicated?

But, in this case I think it’s a stone that hits many birds: accounting is easier and they ensure a break in a never-ending stream of in-warranty timing chain oil leak repairs.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

* just saw this thread ...

I have a 2016 Macan S under lease. Same thing happened to me. I think around 20K miles. No oil on the floor, but dealer did see oil leaking on some of the parts under the engine. They know what it was right away.

Good was under warranty. Incompetent dealer had in the shop for a month!!!! Good thing for loaners. Came back with electrical issues because while engine had to be dropped down and who knows what they screwed up. Thank goodness it's a LEASE and getting turned back soon. Disappointing. I'd be furious had I purchased it.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:42 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
My 2018 Macan GTS with 20,000 miles just had this timing cover oil leak noticed at my 20k service.

A member of the UK macanforum recently posted the same for his 2018 GTS.

Looks like 2018 is not immune from this issue either...

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

cause S and GTS have the same engine?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
cause S and GTS have the same engine?
Basically the same engine, yes, but there are internal hardware differences between the two versions. But as far as what effects this timing cover leak, they're the same in that respect.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Basically the same engine, yes, but there are internal hardware differences between the two versions. But as far as what effects this timing cover leak, they're the same in that respect.
didn't know they have hardware differences, thought GTS is just tuned up S
Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
didn't know they have hardware differences, thought GTS is just tuned up S
This link to the 'other' forum describes the GTS differences to include the engine-specific items... https://www.macanforum.com/forum/ord...different.html

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)