Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:53 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Interesting. Wasn’t sure about the Turbo’s 3.6. You see the problem here is differentiating those that are leaking because of a chronic manufacturing or defect problem, and those that just got unlucky and experienced a random leak which can happen with any vehicle.
Leaking oil from the factory is not normal and doesn't happen to "any vehicle". Macan production numbers are small enough that reports like this should be rare to non-existent. It's definitely something Macan owners need to keep an eye out for (and not stick their heads in the sand), and definitely something for purchasers of used Macans to look for, particularly because it can be hidden until bottom cover is taken off.

The fact that one dealer actually said it happens often carries a lot more value than a dealer which doesn't because there is a lot of incentive to try to hide these sorts of things, and very little incentive to inflate these numbers.

You seem to be getting defensive like this is a slam against Porsche, and it's not meant to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by ozziegt:
daddiojiggy (12-30-2022), matthewlesko (01-06-2022)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Leaking oil from the factory is not normal and doesn't happen to "any vehicle". Macan production numbers are small enough that reports like this should be rare to non-existent. It's definitely something Macan owners need to keep an eye out for (and not stick their heads in the sand), and definitely something for purchasers of used Macans to look for, particularly because it can be hidden until bottom cover is taken off.

The fact that one dealer actually said it happens often carries a lot more value than a dealer which doesn't because there is a lot of incentive to try to hide these sorts of things, and very little incentive to inflate these numbers.

You seem to be getting defensive like this is a slam against Porsche, and it's not meant to be.
Wow, seriously?! Not defensive at all, just trying to look at this issue objectively and logically. Agree, leaking oil is never normal. It appears you misunderstood what I was saying... an oil leak CAN happen to any vehicle even though it certainly isn’t normal, and it can be just a random unfortunate and unexpected occurrence. I’ve experienced it on a couple vehicles before myself, no fun. Like I said, none of us really know yet if this is a widespread chronic issue beyond a relatively smallish percentage affected versus total production. Maybe, maybe not. We’ll just have to see how this goes over time. If it happens, we’ll get it fixed. And if it is widespread, hopefully Porsche will do the right thing and issue a recall or a TSB at the very least as they’ve done with other past issues for other models.

Over my 40+ years of enthusiast/performance/special interest auto ownership of several makes/models, I’ve seen these things play out many, many times. Sometimes an issue turns out to be a widespread defect, and other times not, even though there were reports of the same problem by some owners. We’re entering the 5th year of the Macan now and despite the links and chatter about this leak referenced online, I’m just not seeing something of epidemic proportions yet IMHO. I’m not ruling it out by any means, it could get to that point perhaps. Again, we’ll see over time.

And with all due respect, the fact that one dealer says they’ve seen the problem often versus one or two that say they haven’t, makes that dealer no more or less credible than any other. It only means their experience has been different with their customer base. I have a close relationship with my dealership personal and I trust them.

ANYWAY, kind of done with this now, spent WAY too much time on it already. I’ve voiced my thoughts on the issue. Best of luck with your Macan from this point forward. Glad you got it sorted out. I’ll keep an eye on mine.
The following users liked this post:
daddiojiggy (12-30-2022)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM
John356
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Among the 85 results of a Google search for Porsche Macan oil leak is the following. A search for Audi oil leak produces more than 12 million results.

https://midwestperformancecars.com/p...dden-oil-leak/

Porsche Macan Hidden Oil Leak

The Porsche Macan is a great vehicle, BUT, it is still a car, and it comes with its particular issues. Here is a video detailing a “hidden oil leak” that we have seen repeatedly on Porsche Macan models, regardless of age or mileage. Watch the video and learn why you should choose an expert independent shop for your fluids, filters, and other maintenance, even when you are still under factory warranty! A quality independent shop can save you a lot of money in out-of-pocket repairs.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I was under our ‘16 Turbo yesterday changing the oil and filter and flushing the brakes... and inspecting everything.

Looks like ours has the leak from timing chain cover. I’ll post a picture later. Its CPO so, it will go to the dealer.

This video ...
Originally Posted by John356
Watch the video and learn why you should choose an expert independent shop for your fluids, filters, and other maintenance, even when you are still under factory warranty!
... is simply either the result of ignorance or deliberate BS and FUD. The dealer has every incentive to find every possible problem they can find while your Porsche is under warranty. The dealer doesn’t fund the warranty: PCNA does. As long as a warranty repair is approved by PCNA the dealership gets reimbursed for the expense. If a dealer ‘goodwills’ a denied warranty repair then, yes, it is out-of-dealer-pocket but this is a rare occurrence unless you’re a ‘serial new buyer’ and the dealer wants to keep (or steel) your business.
The following users liked this post:
russw (08-09-2020)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:05 AM
josh34
1st Gear

Last edited by josh34; 01-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josh34
That freeking sucks (the part you deleted.)

But, if you’re still around: does your story pertain to the cam cover leak or the chain cover leak?

I try to treat the (very few) techs that work on our Porsches right. So, I’d like to know if I’m going to be asking them to lose money.

TIA
Old 01-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=josh34;15577569]..[/QUOTE
Was about to give you a BIG THANK YOU but see you deleted your post... I saw it from my email though.
So you mean the repair should be about 40 hours and some of you found a way to do it in 20?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by josh34
Interesting info, but first post ever here in Rennlist, then deleted?! Josh34, where are you? Not sure why you deleted because everyone subscribed to this thread still has the full text of your post anyway via the email notification for a new posting that Rennlist sends out.

🤔
Old 01-20-2019, 02:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure why you deleted because everyone subscribed to this thread still has the full text of your post anyway via the email notification for a new posting that Rennlist sends out.
IMO He was counting on this. It’s a way to get the info into cyberspace and brush over the trail... a bit.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:00 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by worf928

IMO He was counting on this. It’s a way to get the info into cyberspace and brush over the trail... a bit.
Possibly, but now we’re left wondering if this was credible or not. 🤔
Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Possibly, but now we’re left wondering if this was credible or not. ��
I’m pretty much skeptical of everything. But, when you see smoke, though you shouldn’t go all-in on assuming fire, I think it’s a good idea to be aware that there might be fire.

I’ve had many conversations with Porsche Techs and Josh34’s tale doesn’t completely surprise me. It is, however, the first time I’ve heard, directly, of a (apparently very) common problem being so under-reimbursed. Porsche’s dealer warranty reimbursement procedures are not what I would consider uniformly fair.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned 3 Porsches ( I used to post here and lost my ID LOL). I've been shopping for a Macan now.

Sadly, I've seen less attention to detail from many dealers (non-Porsche) during the CPO inspection process. I think some techs just thing everything will be covered anyway so why bother. Although one P-dealership I know of offers incentives for techs to find stuff wrong.

I guess this is something I will just have to request is checked for.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:55 PM
PorscheTech788
Track Day

The covers leak on both the S and Turbo. Seen them as early as 20k miles. Your local dealer should notice this during service and inform you. Some techs may be hesitant to say anything because of the warranty labor hours. But after you've done a few, the job isn't that bad.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi: Thanks for chiming in here. Does it also leak on the GTS? Thanks.

Originally Posted by PorscheTech788
The covers leak on both the S and Turbo. Seen them as early as 20k miles. Your local dealer should notice this during service and inform you. Some techs may be hesitant to say anything because of the warranty labor hours. But after you've done a few, the job isn't that bad.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 PM
PorscheTech788
Track Day

Yes this can happen on any variant Macan except the base. Seen a few on Cayennes that use the same engine.

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)