Notices
Macan 2014-Current

macan base vs macan s

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Had to drop off my GTS for random PASM / air suspension faults and got a base with Premium Plus and navi as a loaner. The 4 banger in the base is not lacking in every day driving at all. It's got a good torque curve in sport mode as the PDK does a good job of keeping the revs in the sweet spot. The suspension is a much different story. The base on 19"s with steel springs and no PASM just floats and offers a lot less steering feedback than my GTS on 20"s. If you are they type of person who takes turns very gingerly, then the base would be fine but if you like to chuck your 4000 lb CUV into corners as if it's a hot hatch like I do, the base instills no confidence in doing that. Now as far engine and exhaust sounds on the base, forget about it. Might as well be a Lexus as far as aural experience goes. I know we don't all have the same demands and expectations out of cars so I'm sure the base is a fine proposition to some people. It's still a good car. But it doesn't have what I personally want out of a Porsche.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Bought a new S today. Base would have been fine but the black / black base on the lot with my had-to-have options already had over 2K loaner miles.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Bought a new S today. Base would have been fine but the black / black base on the lot with my had-to-have options already had over 2K loaner miles.
Excellent, congrats! I'm guessing over time you'll be even more satisfied that you selected an S as opposed to a base model. Post some pics when you get a chance!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Do any of your late-model Macans have the option to permanently turn off auto door locking when the car starts, and/or to permanently turn off the auto-stop/start feature when the car comes to a stop?
The former can be permanently turned off in the Panamera (both generations); evidently, the latter can only be turned off in the first-gen Panamera. I'm considering getting a 2019 Macan and am curious about this; I had test-driven a 2018 Macan S, and it didn't seem to have a way to turn off auto door locking, but I'm not sure I checked the auto-stop/start. I wonder if the higher-optioned versions of Macan have these options.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:08 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cometguy
Do any of your late-model Macans have the option to permanently turn off auto door locking when the car starts, and/or to permanently turn off the auto-stop/start feature when the car comes to a stop?
The former can be permanently turned off in the Panamera (both generations); evidently, the latter can only be turned off in the first-gen Panamera. I'm considering getting a 2019 Macan and am curious about this; I had test-driven a 2018 Macan S, and it didn't seem to have a way to turn off auto door locking, but I'm not sure I checked the auto-stop/start. I wonder if the higher-optioned versions of Macan have these options.

Thanks!
Yes, you can disable stop start on all trim levels. There's a button on the center console. It's the "A" in a 3/4 circle. It saves the setting so no need to press it everytime.

I believe there's a setting to deactivate auto door locks. Not sure why you'd want to though. I've seen too many videos of bad people trying to jump into other people's cars. Locked doors are also less likely to fly open in an accident. If you are concerned about first responders getting access, locked doors are a minor speed bump for them..
Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Yes, you can disable stop start on all trim levels. There's a button on the center console. It's the "A" in a 3/4 circle. It saves the setting so no need to press it everytime.

I believe there's a setting to deactivate auto door locks. Not sure why you'd want to though. I've seen too many videos of bad people trying to jump into other people's cars. Locked doors are also less likely to fly open in an accident. If you are concerned about first responders getting access, locked doors are a minor speed bump for them..
Thanks. I don't like cars locking on me automatically; don't like the sound, don't like not having control over that. For example, I often am picking people up, where I'm stopped and then have to pull up to pick somebody up (like at an airport), and I don't want to have to continually unlock the door. I've been driving for nearly half a century and have never had anybody try to jump into my car that I didn't want to (plus, they are unlikely to try to get in your car anyway when it's moving, but rather when you are stopped), nor am I worried about a door opening in an accident. The only cars I've ever owned that have had auto door locking is the Panamera (both 2015 and 2018 models that I have owned), and you can turn that off permanently in the computer menu, so I find it odd if you can't turn it off in the Macan. I can see why some people would want auto door locking, but I'd guess that the vast majority of people wouldn't use it if the default was OFF, and the vast majority of people wouldn't miss not having it if it wasn't built into the car.

check out this article on the topic: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...houldnt-exist/

Last edited by cometguy; 09-19-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

To each their own. And I said I believe you can turn the feature off on the Macan. It's in the menu scroll through.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

To each their own. And I said I believe you can turn the feature off on the Macan. It's in the menu scroll through.
OK, I'll look again. I test-drove a 2018 Macan S a few months ago and could not find a way to disable auto door locking, so I was wondering if it was left out. That's why I'm asking people on this forum if they have any experience with the matter.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cometguy
OK, I'll look again. I test-drove a 2018 Macan S a few months ago and could not find a way to disable auto door locking, so I was wondering if it was left out. That's why I'm asking people on this forum if they have any experience with the matter.
I just got back from a drive and my 2018 GTS has the option to enable or disable all or certain doors under the vehicles settings menu.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I just got back from a drive and my 2018 GTS has the option to enable or disable all or certain doors under the vehicles settings menu.
That's different, I think: you're talking about the menu option to dictate which doors unlock remotely when you unlock with your key fob.
I'm talking about disabling the doors from locking automatically when the car starts to move from a stopped position.

Quick Reply: macan base vs macan s