Macan 2014-Current

macan base vs macan s

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum
great post. everyone has a budget. If for the spouse and they don't care for that extra second for 0-60 and racing Hondas off lights, then splurge on the safety features and get the base.
For men and women looking for a sportier drive with the torque and pull, the 6cyl is a huge jump in response and drivability. - essentially paying an extra 7-8k for power/brakes and the rest are like for like features. But worth it IMO
keep in mind the engines are not close at all. The base is same 4cyl VW 888 group engine framework used on Audis and VWs - single turbo.. Its still a great engine. I have a tuned up version on my Golf R, and one in my A4 family car. But not in the same league as the Porsche 6cyl twin turbo. It can be tuned easily for pep under $700.
If u test drive the macan base u will be pleased. u wont know what u are missing with the 6cyl. test drive the 6 first and u may not like the 4cyl exp. Both are great cars and u cant go wrong either way - personal decision to pay extra for the power.
The options actually aren't like for like because some aren't available on the base and many that are, actually costs a LOT more when added to a base versus a S or GTS or Turbo. Just look at the wheels for example. As for the base 4 cylinder, correct, it's very easy to modify but I think the demographics of people buying a base are much less likely to modify than any of the V6 buyers. As impressive as the modified results are on a Golf or A4, there's still about 700 lbs more car for that motor to haul around on the Macan and the more options you add, the heavier it gets.

Originally Posted by Rubik
Why is Porsche even making a 4 banger anyway? The idea of a 4 cylinder Porsche just doesn't sit well with me. I know the current environment demands it but Porsche should not have bent to accommodate. If someone wants a 4 cyl, let them get the Audi. I believe, Porsche is pretty reliable if the person owning it has some common sense. Our S is just shy of 46K miles and all it's needed has been routine maintenance. Yeah, there have been some recalls, but so have so many other brands including our Toyota. I don't know where the reliability claims are from but I believe everyone here believes otherwise. I think all potential Porsche Macan owners should just boycott the base and let the company hear the public response in their sales numbers. And for what so people can save 6 or 8 grand. PE-LEASE!!!

Good luck. Eat up the extra few thousand bucks and get yourself a real Porsche.
Although I agree personally with some of your sentiments, I've learned to accept that there are tons of people out there who just want the brand and are willing to pay for it. If I had budgetary confines that limited me to a Macan base, I'd for sure rather opt for a SQ5 instead but that's not a Porsche which is probably the biggest factor for many people choosing the base. Porsche has been re-branding itself as not just a sports car brand, but a luxury car brand as well as the numbers of car enthusiasts decline with each generation.

Porsche is making money hand over foot on base 3yr leases at $600 a month, $5K down. I'm sure the margins are huge for them by using that VAG engine. That's more money for R&D on GT cars. And the 718s are also four cylinders which I'm waiting for the elitists to turn the noses at so I can snag one at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

I'm never going to rag on anyone for not getting a "real Porsche" because there are tons of 911 guys who think us Macan owners are poser Porsche buyers too which I think is being narrow minded. It wasn't too long ago when anything with a Porsche badge without a flat 6 under it was considered garbage.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:18 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I believe the main reason there is a 4 cylinder in the US market is diesel gate. Originally the Macan was going to get the v6 3.0 tdi a year or so after its introduction. Diesel scandal killed that
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

I believe Porsche put the 4-cylinder engines in the base Macans to help the Porsche lineup meet CAFE standards (average marque MPG numbers) AND to make the entry-level Macan more affordable.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

I need a Macan just to round out a Porsche engine configuration I don't have yet, but it would need to be a Turbo or GTS.

I have:
Boxer/Flat 4 NA (914)
V8 Twin Turbo (Cayenne)
V8 Supercharged (928)
Boxer / Flat 6 supercharged (RUF 997)
Boxer / Flat 6 NA (997 C2S)
need a Macan for a V6
LOL

I never really did understand the base model cars though. Why buy a Porsche that doesn't have the performance capability associated with a Porsche - to drive down the road at the speed limit holding onto a wheel with a Porsche crest in the center and telling your friends you own a Porsche - please

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

They are all real Porsches... Head to head the Macan drives better than any other small SUV. Isn't even really close. Not sure the 4 is worth the premium over the Q5, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good car.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
They are all real Porsches... Head to head the Macan drives better than any other small SUV. Isn't even really close.

Exactly. Plus offering the base 4 cylinder in the already very popular Macan lineup brings more customers to the Porsche brand which may not have shopped Porsche otherwise...bottom line.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:27 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 177 Posts

Merits of the base Macan aside, I can't resist being "that guy", who gets on the soap box to say that cylinder count by itself shouldn't be a factor to decide whether a car is either good or legitimate. The 356, 550 Spyder, the 904, the original 718, and the 919 Hybrid spring to mind

That being said, would I spend my own money on a base Macan? No, probably not, just from a "comparative value for the price" point of view. I wonder how resale on base Macans holds up. The 4cyl might look like a better value proposition as a CPO, especially if it has been optioned up.

Last edited by ducktails; 08-13-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 981-GT4
Merits of the base Macan aside, I can't resist being "that guy", who gets on the soap box to say that cylinder count by itself shouldn't be a factor to decide whether a car is either good or legitimate. The 356, 550 Spyder, the 904, the original 718, and the 919 Hybrid spring to mind

That being said, would I spend my own money on a base Macan? No, probably not, just from a "comparative value for the price" point of view. I wonder how resale on base Macans holds up. The 4cyl might look like a better value proposition as a CPO, especially if it has been optioned up.
The question is not really about 4 cylinder. No one ever questioned the performance of the previous cars you name, but they did question the 914 and 924/944 series. Were they 'real' Porsches? What performance level does a 'real' Porsche require? (Since I've owned and loved a bunch of front-engined 4 cyl Porsches I think I can safely say that)

The question really goes back to the old question of whether Porsche should even be in the SUV game. That question seems largely in the past now. The Cayenne and Macan lines have proven themselves as the performance vehicles in their class. They really don't have competitors. But the base Macan seems to not meet that standard. It is simply a nice SUV.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a video of a Macan Turbo where the driver had the car in sport plus mode in the City and was launching it between stoplights. The tires barely spin because of all the tech, it's just quick as hell. He was laughing every time he did it and commenting how happy it made him feel. The 4 cylinder won't match that quickness in acceleration. Flip side is the video of the 3 Macan models on the racetrack racing at high speed with only a cars length between them. The 4 benefits from being lighter than the 6, handling looks to be consistent throughout the model lineup.

Last edited by El Sapo; 08-16-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:57 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 177 Posts

I will say this -- with a GTS, I'm kind of in the middle of the Macan range. On the regular test drive loop I can see why you might come away feeling the GTS is no better than any other bog-standard lux CUV. The steering is a bit light and easy, the acceleration isn't mind melting, you can really feel the weight and a bit of body roll at normal and sane driving/cornering speeds. However, if you go full attack on a very twisty back-road with a bad road surface ... it's physics-defying, amazing. I would assume and hope a base would also show it's qualities better when pushed hard from a handling point of view. Next time I get a loaner, I'll let you know :-)
Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I just drove a base Macan as a loaner for a couple of days.

Some thoughts: The exhaust is as boring as a Honda CRV, and I really missed Sport Plus. Handling was excellent on the 19" rims. I thought the acceleration was quite decent. It sat noticeably higher than my GTS. It looks bland in rhodium silver and the five spoke 19" wheels.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

With all this talk of the Macan base versus the Macan S, I’m surprised on one has mentioned the new model now slotted between those two...the Macan Sport Edition. (Before anyone says this is just the base with a package on it, Porsche’s USA website shows it as a new distinct model in their lineup as is the case with the S, GTS, Turbo, and Turbo PP models.)

It’s a 4 cylinder Macan with PASM, Sport Chrono, PSE, 20” RS Spyder wheels, black window trim, and the PCM w/ Connect Plus standard. Seems worthy of consideration as well for those trying to decide specifically between the base or the S model.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Am in the market, drove a base, S, and GTS back to back to back yesterday. The base was not underpowered with the Sport button pressed, tossable and fun. The S and GTS surprisingly felt heavier. Between the two the GTS' air suspension was noticably more planted, flatter in curves. Neither really had enough power for a junkie. 10K difference between a base and S, then another 10K for the GTS … I know you get half that back when you sell, but the base gets better mileage. Hmmm ... am confused, maybe I should wait for the new model. I like it's looks and the larger NAV screen, more safety features will be standard and predict a small adjustment by the horsepower screwdriver.

Also looked at a Macan Sport Edition. Had salesman start it and open the PSE, had him operate it a couple times and rev it up to be sure. Really??? Laughable. My two cents … the Macan Sport Edition is leftover parts dumped on a base to get rid of these unused parts before the next version. Priced above an S is insulting. Sorry, not worthy of my consideration.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Also looked at a Macan Sport Edition. Had salesman start it and open the PSE, had him operate it a couple times and rev it up to be sure. Really??? Laughable. My two cents … the Macan Sport Edition is leftover parts dumped on a base to get rid of these unused parts before the next version. Priced above an S is insulting. Sorry, not worthy of my consideration.
While it’s true that the base MSRP on the Sport Edition is higher than that of an S model, in reality on any of these models with a normal/typical option load, the S is higher priced in the end (at least at the dealers in my area that’s certainly the case). Based on your post it sounds like perhaps the base model might be the right one for you however? Just wanted to point out that the Sport Edition might be an attractive alternative to the base or S models for some. Best of luck in your quest.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:27 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks. Agree, a base would be plenty, going to be a daily driver and already have a toy pcar that I'm keeping. Wife wants black / black and I want ventilated seats / LCA / NAV. No base cars are optioned like that on my local dealers lot or incoming (all locked). They have an S with those options and more, so might lease for a couple years then order a new one. Understand they can get one from any dealer, but I can get a better deal on one they have in stock.

Quick Reply: macan base vs macan s