Notices
Macan 2014-Current

macan base vs macan s

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:03 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

I’ve had both the base and S versions as loaners. Power is the obvious difference when you drive them. The S is much more responsive. If used in mostly commuting traffic situations, the base would work for me but depends on what is important to you. Also the base seems to have a softer ride and definitely over boosted steering which was surprising. My take away is that the S is sportier (more Porsche like). Only you can decide if it’s worth the extra coin.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 PM
dsstu08
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks. it is obvious choice. practicality or fun.... thanks again folks to share valuable tips.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just traded my '12 Cayenne on a '15 CPO Macan S. Bottom line: 6 cylinder Cayenne is a nice mid-size SUV with decent power and lots of space, while the Macan S is a tall sports sedan with more limited space. Much more enjoyable to drive, but it's not nearly as useful. If you need space for kids and stuff, look at the Cayenne before you get a Macan. And I would definitely get a base Cayenne before a base Macan, and maybe also look at an Audi Q5. No offense to base Macan owners, but I think the redesigned Q5 gets you basically the same vehicle for less money. The Audi actually has more interior and cargo space.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:03 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Just traded my '12 Cayenne on a '15 CPO Macan S. Bottom line: 6 cylinder Cayenne is a nice mid-size SUV with decent power and lots of space, while the Macan S is a tall sports sedan with more limited space. Much more enjoyable to drive, but it's not nearly as useful. If you need space for kids and stuff, look at the Cayenne before you get a Macan. And I would definitely get a base Cayenne before a base Macan, and maybe also look at an Audi Q5. No offense to base Macan owners, but I think the redesigned Q5 gets you basically the same vehicle for less money. The Audi actually has more interior and cargo space.
Yeah, but then you can't say you drive a Porsha
Old 07-30-2018, 11:03 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

That's pretty much how I'd sum it up as well. A Cayenne feels closer to my old Yukon and my Macan Turbo feels closer to my 911.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:43 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Can you share your source of reliability issue ?
It goes against ownership of one of the best built vehicles on the market
Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

And I would definitely get a base Cayenne before a base Macan, and maybe also look at an Audi Q5. No offense to base Macan owners, but I think the redesigned Q5 gets you basically the same vehicle for less money. The Audi actually has more interior and cargo space.
This. More standard and and available modern luxury features for less money too. In general, Porsche builds cars with fun over practicality in mind. If your priority is practicality, then Porsche is kind of a waste of money.

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Yeah, but then you can't say you drive a Porsha
Haha! I actually don't like telling people I drive a Porsche unless people really ask or really know the difference. Then I say I drive a POOR-sha because I'm now poor.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:17 PM
dsstu08
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

folks, what is average discount one could expect from a dealer to buy a new model?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:03 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dsstu08
folks, what is average discount one could expect from a dealer to buy a new model?
Anyone who thinks they know the answer to this is blowing smoke. So many factors, including dealer size and overhead, allocations, service department capacity, and other recent deals all make this a car by car, dealer by dealer issue. Macans are still hot, but the pipeline seems full as opposed to a year or two back. I suspect they are moving aggressively on base models, but again, hard to know. Make a low offer and see where you get.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:13 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by dsstu08
The highest discount on an order I've seen anyone attest to is 8% off MSRP and that is pretty limited to Atlanta Perimeter. I have two dealers within 20 miles of me and got 4.5% off. The other wouldn't move from full MSRP.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Get the S hands down, I test drove an S and had a base model as a loaner.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. Just bought a 2017 base Macan for my wife. I put in 1,000 miles driving it home from out of state, so have already spent a good amount of time in it. I can't compare it to the Macan S, however my daily driver is a 2016 Audi SQ5. Both SUV's have a MSRP of $63k, so equal in that regard.

-Steering
Macan wins this one hands down. The Audi steering is over boosted with virtually no road feedback.

-Chassis
Of course they are the same chassis so ride very similar, both are very solid. I'd say the main difference is I have the 21" wheels on the SQ5 and the 20" Spyder on the Macan. With more sidewall the Macan rides less harshly but both are well damped and tuned. The Macan is lower and turns in better. Slight edge to the Macan, but I think wheel/tire choice swings this either way.

-Power/Trans
In regular traffic the Macan does well. Certainly not under powered with decent torque all around. In most regular driving situations the base Macan is enough. Where you feel the 100 extra HP in the Audi is on the highway.....the 40-70 and 50-80 in the Audi is much faster. Highway passing is a huge difference. The transmissions have been covered pretty well. The PDK gets off the line more directly while the Audi is smoother. Both shift quickly and firmly. Since the Audi has 8 gears it gets the same highway MPG as the Macan with 7 gears even though it has 100 more HP. I averaged 26 MPG on the highway in the Macan, expected better from a 2.0L (28 MPG?)

-Ergonomics
The Audi wins on tech. The wheel that controls the Audi MMI is in the perfect place just in front of your hand while on the arm rest. Had to touch the screen in the Macan more. The optional $800 B&O stereo in the Audi is pretty solid....blows away Bose. You'd have to spend $5k for the Burmeseter to do better.

Bottom line is the Macan is the more dynamic SUV while the Audi is more functional and not far behind.

-
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 106 Posts

I opted for a base with more safety features such as LCA, ACC, and lane keep over an S. It is mainly my wife's car and the increase in HP would be lost on her and I wasn't willing to compromise any of the safety features I wanted for her.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:52 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rjongco
I opted for a base with more safety features such as LCA, ACC, and lane keep over an S. It is mainly my wife's car and the increase in HP would be lost on her and I wasn't willing to compromise any of the safety features I wanted for her.
great post. everyone has a budget. If for the spouse and they don't care for that extra second for 0-60 and racing Hondas off lights, then splurge on the safety features and get the base.
For men and women looking for a sportier drive with the torque and pull, the 6cyl is a huge jump in response and drivability. - essentially paying an extra 7-8k for power/brakes and the rest are like for like features. But worth it IMO
keep in mind the engines are not close at all. The base is same 4cyl VW 888 group engine framework used on Audis and VWs - single turbo.. Its still a great engine. I have a tuned up version on my Golf R, and one in my A4 family car. But not in the same league as the Porsche 6cyl twin turbo. It can be tuned easily for pep under $700.
If u test drive the macan base u will be pleased. u wont know what u are missing with the 6cyl. test drive the 6 first and u may not like the 4cyl exp. Both are great cars and u cant go wrong either way - personal decision to pay extra for the power.
The following users liked this post:
Dmartin767 (07-26-2020)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is Porsche even making a 4 banger anyway? The idea of a 4 cylinder Porsche just doesn't sit well with me. I know the current environment demands it but Porsche should not have bent to accommodate. If someone wants a 4 cyl, let them get the Audi. I believe, Porsche is pretty reliable if the person owning it has some common sense. Our S is just shy of 46K miles and all it's needed has been routine maintenance. Yeah, there have been some recalls, but so have so many other brands including our Toyota. I don't know where the reliability claims are from but I believe everyone here believes otherwise. I think all potential Porsche Macan owners should just boycott the base and let the company hear the public response in their sales numbers. And for what so people can save 6 or 8 grand. PE-LEASE!!!

And the space in the back is enough. It's not a limo - it's snug, but it's ok. The one thing that does bother me a bit and this will be with the S or the base, it doesn't matter: The back seats are too upright. I have sat in the back once I think and I noticed that compared to our old ML, the seats are very upright and not as reclined and I'm talking about maybe a few degrees but on long trips, it would make a difference to an adult, but kids could care less.

Good luck. Eat up the extra few thousand bucks and get yourself a real Porsche.

Quick Reply: macan base vs macan s